So I've gotten Mike's goodies...

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

beretta92_fs2003

Re: So I've gotten Mike's goodies...

Postby beretta92_fs2003 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:30 am

All you have to do is loosen the set screws on the stabilizer plate whithout removing the dies and the turret will come right out.

gooffeyguy

Postby gooffeyguy » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:42 pm

Yup, loosen the 5 set screws on the corners of the plate and the turret, plate, and dies remove as one.

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:33 pm

Octopuss,

Did you not get the instructions for the Turret Stabilizer and the Billet Turret? If not, let me know and I can send you a PDF.

If you install the turret alone in the press and it does not have any vertical play then Mr. Lee's machining is the culprit. Imagine that!
When the turret alone is installed in the press and pulled up tight against the locking lugs it should be a few thousandths proud of the top of the press. If not then you may thank Mr. Lee for that also.
The cure for that problem is to fabricate some paper shims and install them between the turret and stabilizer plate.
The stops in your turret were set up on my machine by me before it left my shop and they all contacted the shellplate evenly. They may not on your press as these presses are like Picasso paintings, each one is different. The only constant is that they are all red.
Set your dies so they do not contact the shellplate. Use a couple pieces of paper as a spacer between the die and the shellplate.

The five 10-32 setscrews in the Turret Stabilizer need only be tightened enough to pull the turret up against the lugs in the press frame. Any more than that and you will bend the plate. Do this with the turret locking screw loose enough to allow the turret to move up and down but not rotate.

Mike

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:04 pm

I think the dies with Mike's turret should not touch the shell plate.

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:43 pm

It appears if I understand what you are saying, that the top surface of the turret is slightly below the top surface of the press frame when the turret is pulled up against the locking lugs in the frame. If this is the case, when you put the turret stabilizer on and install the dies the turret will get locked up.

The remedy for this would be to fabricate some paper shims and place them on top of the turret thus making the turret taller so that when you put the stabilizer on top of the turret it does not pull the turret up far enough to cause it to lock up on the lugs in the frame. Now you can install the five 10-32 set screws and adjust them so they pull the turret up against the lugs in the frame.

mike

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:25 am

Now that you have the shim thing figured out you can actually not use the turret locking screw as the five setscrews in the stabilizer plate will hold the turret in place. Because of this you may now "clock" the turret into proper alignment with the shellplate if needed. With the stabilizer setscrews loose, and the turret lock screw removed, load the shellplate with cases and raise the ram until the cases enter the dies and cause the turret to self align. At this point snug up the five setscrews in the stabilizer and you will be good to go. This exercise will get your LM lined up as good as it is ever going to get.

mike

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:01 pm

Here's how Carload9 fixed his lighting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEexY_YjiEc

He has other videos showing other mods as well.

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:53 pm

Because the screw at the bottom wasn't really tight???? :P

Return to “Load Master forum”