Carrier alignment problem

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

Horseman

Re: Carrier alignment problem

Postby Horseman » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:50 pm

There was a thread awhile back on the washer issue. IIRC it was from "Daveinflowerybankgeorgia", or something like that. His press was like you mention (mine was also, maybe they all are) but the jist was (we) put the wave washers on all four bolts on both sides. You might pull the carrier and check the "teeth" on the ram. If they're "buggered" up you can turn the ram over and use the bottom if they're still good. Check the carrier where the "teeth" have mated to it to see if there may be a alignment issue there as well. I know I had the same problem with left to right movement on a used press I purchased and I ended up buying a new frame and ram (you can't just buy a new ram) as the ram on that press was pretty badly worn.I'm continually amazed at the amount of issues these presses can have with so few moving parts. Sometimes you just have to start from scratch all over again with these presses. The two I have now both work very well but there's been a lot of "fooling" around with them. You must have patience Grass Hopper.... :D

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:59 pm

How in the world did you damage the pins? Those things just slide out when you undo the nuts on the end. IIRC the yoke pin (you are talking about the small pin on the bottom?) will also slide out when you loosen the bottom nut that tightens the carrier. Been awhile since I've had mine apart. You can "probably" purchase new pins from Lee. The black "gooey" stuff you're finding is just old grease. Clean it off, lightly grease the pins when you put it back together, then give er' a couple pumps with your grease gun.

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:21 pm

I think I'm beginning to see your problem. Hammers and reloading presses do not mix, no matter the brand. Did you buy this press new and if so was it "local"...any help there maybe. It's very difficult to trouble shoot and or "tutor" someone by the written word on a reloading site. My gut feeling tells me that something is out of alignment and possibly some parts have been "tweaked" beyond adjustment. Sure wish I could get my hands on it with you there and see what we could find. Not much help I know, good luck.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:52 am

It's generally felt that starting reloading with a progressive press is a mistake. I think you should get a single stage press to use until you understand the entire process of reloading ammunition.

Throw away the hammer and smoke something to mellow out a bit. A bad temper and a short fuse spell disaster in operating a progressive press. (any brand)

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:37 pm

You haven't used a hammer on your wife, have you? :P

Jim_Duncan

Postby Jim_Duncan » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:23 pm

i too have been known to get overheated with my LM. last time i took it all apart and stored it in a cabinet for over a month til i cooled down. now she is up and running like butter. time out did us both good. rewarded her with a new inline fabrication 6" stand. she was on a 9 5/8 inline fabrication stand but my classic turret is on that one now.

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:47 pm

I'll let you figure out what I said. :roll:

Return to “Load Master forum”