double dipping case feeder

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

Jim_Duncan

double dipping case feeder

Postby Jim_Duncan » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:02 pm

switched over to .40 from .45 ACP and now I have an issue with the case feeder dropping two cases at once. timing seems good for the rest of the setup. feeds shell plate properly ect.. just an issue with the case next inline dropping down just enough to snag the case on the tongue and locking up the show. tried lowering the tube feeder to just above the slider and back up to over a 1/4 inch above. nada. can't find any evidence of others encountering this issue. i am sure it's something very basic and I will be embarrassed when the obvious is pointed out, but at this point make me feel stupit please. i need to get this behind me. anybody?
Last edited by Jim_Duncan on Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

zomby woof

Re: DOUBLE DIPPING CASE FEEDER

Postby zomby woof » Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:36 pm

You need the small slider.
40 S&W with small slider TR2449C

Jim_Duncan

Postby Jim_Duncan » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:02 pm

Switched between small and large slider twice already. Samo samo. The problem is the feeder tube dropping the second case head onto the mouth of the case that was dropped onto the tongue. They bind up when the slider tries to push the case forward.

Gillie Dog

Postby Gillie Dog » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:23 pm

How close to the slider/first case is the case feeder?

Lower down the case feeder until the case being pushed forward just clears bottom of feeder. This might keep next case straight/not allow enough distance to cant over in neck of first case.

GD

Jim_Duncan

Postby Jim_Duncan » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:05 pm

GD, gave it another go with the small slider and started it so when the case dropped out on the slider almost half of it was exposed and it is just about flush with the bottom of the feeder when it drops to the tongue. Works flawlessly now. Go figure.

Question. Where is it stated which slider goes with what calibers?

Gillie Dog

Postby Gillie Dog » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:17 pm

From Lee:

Large case feeder cartridges:

•38 Special
•357 Magnum
•41 Magnum
•44 Special
•44 Magnum
•45 ACP
•45 Colt
•10mm Auto
•7.62 x 39 Russian

Small case feeder cartridges:

•9mm Luger
•380 Auto
•32 Auto
•32 S&W Long
•32 H&R Mag
•38 Auto
•38 Super

40 S&W will not fit through small feeder. Tested it one time. I use large case feeder for 9mm in dedicated decapper LM and it works fine also.

GD

Jim_Duncan

Postby Jim_Duncan » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:28 pm

Bless you my child. So 9MM is it for me on the small feeder. Everything else goes large. Easy to remember that way. So the small slider is for the small feeder and large for the large feeder? I am currently using small slider successfully on the 40?

Gillie Dog

Postby Gillie Dog » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:09 am

The 40 S&W "kits" came with large feeder and small slider, or at least they used to, mine did.

LM manual on page 8 lists using small slider with 40 S&W.

Mike shows cleaning up and modifications the sliders on his site. I just cleaned mine up to prevent tipping which happened at odd times.

GD

Jim_Duncan

Postby Jim_Duncan » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:47 pm

Hmmm... I poured over that manual or so I thought. LOL... I must have avoided that back page with the info I needed.

Anyway it's cycling like old times now. Thanks to all.

websterz

Postby websterz » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:08 pm

I pulled the aluminum insert out of the small case feeder and bored out out on my lathe to allow .40 S&W to pass through. I now have one press dedicated to .40 and 9mm, I call it the 49'er. The other press is set up for .45 acp so all my calibers are covered with just a quick turret change on one press.

Jim_Duncan

Postby Jim_Duncan » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:53 pm

Very innovative. I sometimes wonder about picking up a second LM... I suppose it could be considered like having two wives... anybody might be crazy to have more than one? Still......the thought persists from time to time. So far, self control has gotten the better of me. :twisted:

Gillie Dog

Re: double dipping case feeder

Postby Gillie Dog » Tue Nov 29, 2016 5:32 pm

Well, only one wife and that will be all. :shock:

But no LM self control here. I have more than one, even one dedicated to decapping. Best decapper machine out there, you can do a whole bunch pistol brass realllllllllllll fast.

Some is good, More is better................

GD

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:04 am

To load 40 S&W I filed a taper on the top of the large slider. The taper is only about a 1/2 inch long and tapers to just below the 40 case height. It works great for me.

Jim_Duncan

Postby Jim_Duncan » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:19 pm

yes, absolutely going to do this mod. been meaning to for some while now. gonna try and get it done this week. my LM is a rube Goldberg extravaganza. i still need a swinging ball bearing somewhere that pours a cold drink after each box of ammo. that video would go viral i suspect

Return to “Load Master forum”