bullet feeder mod

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

Jim_Duncan

bullet feeder mod

Postby Jim_Duncan » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:56 pm

decided to fabricate the feeder mod that eliminates the dropped bullets when no case is present. i have the dimensions all sketched out. anybody have any suggestions as to the best way to cut this material out? i have lexan and aluminum parts so I just need to make up a few sets for the different calibers. not having had a bullet feeder before i am assuming each caliber must have its own modification done. the main pieces for the sides of the feeder are from a food can as i recall.
Last edited by Jim_Duncan on Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jim_Duncan

Re: bullet feeder mod

Postby Jim_Duncan » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:11 am

a dele monte green bean can it is then.

llangston1

Postby llangston1 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:52 am

Do you need to use a can for this project or can you use some sheet aluminum I have left over from other projects?

Jim_Duncan

Postby Jim_Duncan » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:06 am

i have some spare sheets of scrap so i have some to choose from. just considering what might be the thinnest material and easiest to manipulate. thanks for the input. i decided to wait til the feeder is here before starting to cut it out. might be easier.

gooffeyguy

Postby gooffeyguy » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:57 pm

This mod is a really impressive idea and I wish Lee would implement it on their bullet feeder system.

I thought about doing it, but I just use my left finger on the back edge of the fingers (under the wedge shaped base) to keep it from sliding back into position and dropping the bullet because it tries to pick up another. That's the free hand that would be placing a bullet in to be seated anyway if I didn't have a feeder. You only have to keep your finger on it for just the first part of the upstroke on the lever. It will stay extended out until the next cycle.

Jim_Duncan

Postby Jim_Duncan » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:04 pm

Cool. will do that until the mod is finished.

Gillie Dog

Postby Gillie Dog » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:57 am

llangston1 wrote:Do you need to use a can for this project or can you use some sheet aluminum I have left over from other projects?

Helg used a tin can because he wanted it to "spring" back after the fingers went out with a bullet grasped. Aluminum offers very little spring so it would present a problem I believe. Tin can, beryllium copper, spring steel, etc. would work. I think the tin can is the cost effective route.

There is a guy on You Tube who does a two part construction of this modification step by step. In addition to Helg's You Tube video.

Please let us know how it goes. I will be doing a feeder a guy gave me after the holidays and test it out with plated 45ACP RNs. Have yet to determine if feeder is worth it without a collator though. Filling tube (s) one bullet at a time seems same speed as placing them by hand.

GD

llangston1

Postby llangston1 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:32 pm

I agree that loading the tubes might not be a time saver as individual had placement of a bullet. Lee should create a way to pre load all the tubes like primers and then mount them on top of the loader.I guess that is what those fancy motorized bullet collators do for you on the other presses. Personally I am ready for a break after 100 or so rounds.

Jim_Duncan

Postby Jim_Duncan » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:18 pm

Yes, I agree the bullet feeder thing is an after thought with me. First and foremost is my indexing which is now working nicely. Second is my case feeding which is going nicely. Thirdly my priming system which I believe is now right. Currently loading pre primed and processed brass so not using it at the moment. Having ordered a 40 caliber bullet feeder for grooveless HiTek2 coated bullets I may have made a mistake. These rounds are so slippery as to be problematic for the feeder. If I get it feeding properly I will then modify the feeder so it will not retract with out a case present. If that works I would probably order the 4 tube system and then justify putting the bullets in ahead of time. I also like taking breaks after 50 or so rounds. I just don't get in a hurry. In any case I load less 40 than 9 or 45ACP so I should have ordered the feeder in 9MM instead of 40. Hindsight is 20/20. Will update as I go along. Rube Goldberg is my hero.

DOC H

Postby DOC H » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:16 pm

Hello forum, 1 question . will these new bullet feeder mods work with Mike's reloading bench TURRET STABILIZERS? I bought 3 of these for my turrets, now I don't think I can use the bullet feeder system because , the thickness of the turret stabilizers will no be the proper height ? does the feeder linkage have to be longer or modified I've never have used the bullet feeder , so I don't want to spend the money if it's not compatible ?

llangston1

Postby llangston1 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:25 pm

I believe Mike's instructions tell you have to use the bullet feeder. You have to remove that one set screw so the attach bracket will fit under the bullet seating die lock nut and maybe readjust the seating die depth appropriately.

Return to “Load Master forum”