Decapping die alternative?

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

Sparky45

Re: Decapping die alternative?

Postby Sparky45 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:17 pm

Lee universal decapper is all I use. Don't be so Ham Handed and everything will work fine.

gooffeyguy

Postby gooffeyguy » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:27 pm

You could always use a caliber specific resizing/decapping die like what comes in most die sets. The resizing part of it will make the case centered correctly to be decapped.

Also, the collet holding the decapping pin may be too tight. When the pin hits an obstruction or the inside of the case and not the primer hole it should rise up through the top of the die instead of bending. I've had to adjust the collet tightness so it's just a bit tighter than enough when pushing out primers.

Jim_Duncan

Postby Jim_Duncan » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:47 pm

Me thinks if you are decapping primers that are that hard to remove that possibly they are crimped military brass? When I hit something that pushes the decapper rod upwards to prevent it from breaking it tells me that the case I am trying to deprime is a problem child. I almost never hit primers like that unless I am decapping .223 rifle brass. Some manufacturers are prone to that. The lee decappers are as I understand it replaced free of charge whenever they fail. In your case that might be of no help since I think you are overseas?

Return to “Load Master forum”