pro auto disk in station 2 on Loadmaster?

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

DOC H

pro auto disk in station 2 on Loadmaster?

Postby DOC H » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:59 am

Hello Forum, Has anyone tried using the Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure in station no. 2 before? The reason I ask, is I was wanting to buy a POWDER COP DIE or LOCK OUT DIE for station 3. If I primed cases off press or in a separate step, I was wanting to know if it was possible to do without major changes to the press? Has anyone tried this , are there any pictures out there? Just trying to make a safer and more efficient Loadmaster. Any thoughts or comments?

DOC H

erle

Re: pro auto disk in station 2 on Loadmaster?

Postby erle » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:16 pm

Yes, I have dropped power in station 2 before while reloading .223. To be safe, I removed the priming pin. That lets me use my powder-check die in station 3. I do a lot of case preparation on .223 cases anyway & its not much more trouble to just go ahead & prime before I begin on the LLM.

Never done it with pistol reloading because I prime them on the LLM. As erratic as the priming is sometimes, it would not be safe to prime with a hopper full of powder in the same station.

Sorry, don't have any pictures but the setup is pretty normal since I use a spring instead of the chain on my powder measure.

Erle

DOC H

Postby DOC H » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:46 am

Thanks Erie, I do understand all the priming safety issues, and could not agree more. I also have switched from the powder measure chain to a spring on the left side of LLM . Did you change your spring set up to the right side, and did you remove the explosion shield also? I'm wondering what to do there.

DOC H

erle

Postby erle » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:22 pm

YES to both questions.

I turned the eye bolt around to the other side of the press & removed the explosion shield.

Erle

DOC H

Postby DOC H » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:48 pm

Thanks for the reply Erie, Are you running all your powder out of station 2 now , or are you switching back & forth. Also can you use your powder cop die on .223 cases ? will it fit ?

erle

Postby erle » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:03 pm

I have two LLM's so one is set up for .223 only, distributing powder in station 2 & yes, powder check die in station 3. I had to adapt it with smaller punch.

I use my other LLM for all pistol calibers with normal set-up, priming in station 2 & dropping powder in station 3.

Erle

DOC H

Postby DOC H » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:38 pm

Again Thanks Erie , At the risk of asking to many questions . where did you get the smaller punch for .223 on the powder cop die? I also have 2 presses but the other 1 is a LEE breech lock single stage for individual tasks. at least I can fix my mistakes , it's nice to use the RCBS bullet puller than banging a plastic hammer on a wood block.

erle

Postby erle » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:29 pm

I hurriedly made one out of a small bolt for the RCBS, but it never worked consistently. I later switched to the Hornady powder cop die. It is about half price & comes ready for the .223 cases. The Hornady works differently in that it is a visible guide & does not lock up the press like the RCBS. Operator must be looking at it on each pull of the press handle.

RCBS has a new Powder Check Die out that works with the .223 that operates the same way--does not lock up the press but gives a visible indicator as to how full or low each case is with powder.

Erle

Return to “Load Master forum”