Pro Disk Powder system vs Auto Drum Powder system

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

rekarstien

Pro Disk Powder system vs Auto Drum Powder system

Postby rekarstien » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:59 am

I just picked up an Auto Drum powder system for my Classic Turret and I was thinking maybe pick up 2 more for my 2 Loadmasters which is the preferred system for the Loadmaster. Does anyone use the Auto drum on there loadmaster that can shead some light on this.

Thanks
Bob

Jim_Duncan

Re: Pro Disk Powder system vs Auto Drum Powder system

Postby Jim_Duncan » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:44 pm

I have retired all of my autodisks. Both Classic Turret and LM are now Auto Drums. Very satisfied.

websterz

Postby websterz » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:54 am

I use Auto Drum measures on all three of my presses, two Loadmasters and one Lee single stage. The three Auto Disks they replaced have been relegated to the shelf. No comparison between the two measures, the Auto Drum is a quantum leap up from the disk.

Gillie Dog

Postby Gillie Dog » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:10 am

I got an early Auto Drum and after running it on a Load Master it was so much better I sold my Auto Disks off for a good price. I see used Auto Disks can be had cheaply now.
Auto Drums work very well on Load Masters and have replaced all my Auto Disks in operation. Kept one Auto Disk for nostalgia but do not use it now.
There is nothing I load that the Auto Drum does not do better and easier than the Auto Disks did on my Load Masters.

GD

rekarstien

Postby rekarstien » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:39 pm

Thanks for the help and info I ordered 3 of them today.

websterz

Postby websterz » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:42 am

You will not regret it!

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:24 pm

Very happy for all you fellas that are having such good results from the Auto Drum measure. I've not been so lucky with the one I bought. The Pro disk measures I have and have had over the years have all been excellent as far as consistency, even using the double disk kit. The AD not so much, very erratic. One day it will be spot on, the next day it will vary up to 2-3 grains difference intermittently. Same powder. I want'ed to like this measure and when they first came out I thought as most of you have, replace all my disk measure with the Auto Drum. After using it for a while with different powders and applications I came to the conclusion that, either the one I received is a "lemon" or it just ain't as good as advertised. I'm back to the Pro disks and don't see changing in the near future. No I didn't send it back to Lee, I can find no fault with it physically and it appears to work as it's supposed to.

websterz

Postby websterz » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:36 pm

I loaded 1000+ rounds of .40 S&W today and my Auto Drum never missed a beat. I set it up to throw 4.7 grains of Promo and periodic checks stayed +/- 0.5 grains like clock work. Granted I have only used Promo and TiteGroup but both powders measure extremely consistently.

tcook

Postby tcook » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:00 am

websterz wrote:I loaded 1000+ rounds of .40 S&W today and my Auto Drum never missed a beat. I set it up to throw 4.7 grains of Promo and periodic checks stayed +/- 0.5 grains like clock work. Granted I have only used Promo and TiteGroup but both powders measure extremely consistently.

Am I reading this wrong, or are you saying that the target 4.7 gr +/- 0.5 varied from 4.2 to 5.2 gr? That seems like an awful big swing, and not very consistent at all!

My experience with the Auto Drum has been more like +/- 0.1 grain variation, whatever powder I'm using.

websterz

Postby websterz » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:21 am

That was a fat finger typo. Meant to say 0.2 grains.

tcook

Postby tcook » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:23 pm

Gotcha!

gooffeyguy

Postby gooffeyguy » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:31 am

Horseman wrote:Very happy for all you fellas that are having such good results from the Auto Drum measure. I've not been so lucky with the one I bought. The Pro disk measures I have and have had over the years have all been excellent as far as consistency, even using the double disk kit. The AD not so much, very erratic. One day it will be spot on, the next day it will vary up to 2-3 grains difference intermittently. Same powder. I want'ed to like this measure and when they first came out I thought as most of you have, replace all my disk measure with the Auto Drum. After using it for a while with different powders and applications I came to the conclusion that, either the one I received is a "lemon" or it just ain't as good as advertised. I'm back to the Pro disks and don't see changing in the near future. No I didn't send it back to Lee, I can find no fault with it physically and it appears to work as it's supposed to.

What powder were you using?

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:31 pm

gooffeyguy wrote:What powder were you using?

I tried several different powders. I did have good luck with it using 2400 the one time I used that powder with it. The last time I tried using it was loading 223 for a ladder test with CFE 223. Started at 23gr. and it ran pretty well, a tenth or so one way or the other (CFE 223 is a pretty fine grained powder and runs well through my other measures pretty spot on) worked my way up through 25gr. and quit for the day. Next day I start over at 26gr. that's when things went south (again) every where from 25 and change to 27 and change. Tested it on a single stage just to drop powder and sometimes it was great and then chaos. I haven't used it since, I just do not trust it, it would drop on the nuts for a while, then up or down as much as a grain and a half and this was with different powders. I am willing to try another one, they're cheap enough, and if that one turns out to be as good as everyone else is saying then I'll have to figure the one I now have is just a bad example and I'll send it back to Lee. I might add I bought this measure as soon as they came on the market. Titan I believe.

By the way, I've read of others having the same issues with theirs that I am having. If I were to use it again I would check EVERY powder drop that came from it.

Return to “Load Master forum”