LM Setup for .243 Winchester...

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

Frodo9mm

LM Setup for .243 Winchester...

Postby Frodo9mm » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:56 am

Has anyone setup a LM for Winchester 243?

My son and I are shooting 243 more and I do not see a stock LM on Lee's website in this configuration.

I do see one sold on ebay with dies and I do not see any reason I cannot do so.

I would purchase a shell plate, turret and 4 die set, just like I do for my 9mm setup.

I will buy as many parts as I can from mikes reloading bench.

Here is what I would go with:

1. Die Set: http://leeprecision.com/243-win-ultimate-die-set.html
2. Turret Billet and Stabilizer - Mikes Reloading Bench.
3. Primer Feed System - TBD - 243 uses large pistol primer. Now sure about this yet.
4. Shell Plate - TBD - 2L from what I can gather. Now sure about this yet.

Thx,
Frodo9

erle

Re: LM Setup for .243 Winchester...

Postby erle » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:56 am

I reload a lot of .243 but I do it all on my single stage press, mainly because of case preparation. Maybe 100 rounds a year is all I shoot in .243 so I am not in that much of a hurry when I do reload and I like to check each stage thoroughly on each shell I am going to be shooting at game. Someone on here will have experienced .243 reloading on the LLM and can guide you better on it.

Now, straight wall pistol reloading is another story. Along with my grand boys we shoot a lot and I use 2 LLM's for reloading them.

By the way, the .243 uses large RIFLE primers & NOT pistol primers.
I also know the 2L is the correct shell holder for the .243.

Magic Mike can tell you all you want to know about reloading .243 or any other rifle caliber on the LLM.

Erle

Frodo9mm

Postby Frodo9mm » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:54 pm

Ok, thank you for the info. I reload 9mm now on the LLM and am weighing single stage verus progressive. I will need a case trimmer in either case. Reloading for 2 people is why I am thinking of going progressive. When we shoot, we shoot a lot of rounds.

Frodo9mm

Postby Frodo9mm » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:50 am

Erle -

You know, after thinking about it, I am just going to go with a single press, like you. I think by the time I buy the turret, dies, shell plate,primer system and auto powder charger, it would be more economy to scale.

The Lee Precision 90045 - Breech Lock Reloader Press lists for about $35 to $40.

So the next questions for you or others, it what die set would you recommend? The Lee Precision Carbide 4-Die Set comes with the FCD, but being a single stage press, maybe a 3 die set is better.

Thank you,
Frodo.

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:23 pm

Frodo9mm wrote:Erle -

You know, after thinking about it, I am just going to go with a single press, like you. I think by the time I buy the turret, dies, shell plate,primer system and auto powder charger, it would be more economy to scale.

The Lee Precision 90045 - Breech Lock Reloader Press lists for about $35 to $40.

So the next questions for you or others, it what die set would you recommend? The Lee Precision Carbide 4-Die Set comes with the FCD, but being a single stage press, maybe a 3 die set is better.

Thank you,
Frodo.

I do not believe anyone makes carbide dies for 243. 223 and 308 yes, but they are quite expensive. Carbide dies are mostly just pistol rounds. Any brand two die set will work for you. If you're shooting the rounds through more than one rifle I don't know that neck sizing would be a good idea unless you keep the brass from them separated and load each rifle individually so a three die set (one including neck size die) wouldn't be needed. Crimp die for a 243 bolt gun isn't needed either. Two dies, full length sizer and a bullet seating die is all you need. Don't forget case lube... :D

erle

Postby erle » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:01 pm

I think you will really like taking time to check case length & trim & chamfer each case. I also clean out each primer pocket thoroughly before replacing primer. I then precisely measure each powder load.

I am still using an old 2-die C-H full length die set for .243. Began reloading with them back in 1960. I have added the Lee factory crimp die as a final stage. Since I began reloading for 3 Grandsons I wanted a slight crimp & the Lee FCD does a good job.

Any of the 2-die sets will work fine, although I am partial to R.C.B.S. since I have had a lot of experience with them. Their equipment has just about a no questions asked replacement.

I use Imperial wax now as my case lubricant although I used an ink pad & liquid lubricant for 50 years.

Erle

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:01 pm

erle wrote:I think you will really like taking time to check case length & trim & chamfer each case. I also clean out each primer pocket thoroughly before replacing primer. I then precisely measure each powder load.

I am still using an old 2-die C-H full length die set for .243. Began reloading with them back in 1960. I have added the Lee factory crimp die as a final stage. Since I began reloading for 3 Grandsons I wanted a slight crimp & the Lee FCD does a good job.

Any of the 2-die sets will work fine, although I am partial to R.C.B.S. since I have had a lot of experience with them. Their equipment has just about a no questions asked replacement.

I use Imperial wax now as my case lubricant although I used an ink pad & liquid lubricant for 50 years.

Erle

I do use a Lee crimp die on my 223 rounds for my AR as they can get a bit of "rough" treatment, but seldom on my "hunting" rifles. If using a regular (not competition) die I may set it to "very slightly" crimp them (die down to touch the case mouth and maybe a 16th turn more). As far as case lube I still use the "ink pads" with RCBS lube. I haven't found any way that's easier, roll 5 or so across the pad at a time. 223 is a different story, load way to many of those to do it on a single stage, spray lube and a Dillon 450...

Return to “Load Master forum”