Should I try the priming system?

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

vincewarde

Should I try the priming system?

Postby vincewarde » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:51 am

I have been using a Loadmaster for about ten years. I have loaded tens of thousands of rounds, but I have never used the priming system. I just finished loading 5k rounds of 9mm, without a hitch. I also have had exactly one failure to fire in all that ammo.

My system is this: When I get home from the range, I decap all the brass and throw it in the vibratory cleaner. Next day I prime them up and set them aside until time to load. The advantage to this system is that I can feel every primer seat and I don't have to worry about different primer pocket depths. When loading handgun ammo I frequently use mixed brass that may or may not have varying depth primer pockets.

I gather that some improvements have been made in the system since I last tried it and that mikesreloading.com offers an improved priming system. My question is this: Is it possible to prime mixed brands of cases with any of the on press priming systems? My first priority is safety and my second is that the ammo actually fires. I am willing to continue priming off press if that is what it takes. I'm just looking for some feedback from other users.

Thanks!

magic mike

Re: Should I try the priming system?

Postby magic mike » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:09 pm

If the lion is peacefully sleeping, I recommend not poking him.

mike

vincewarde

Postby vincewarde » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:00 pm

Yes, I definitely want to avoid opening a can of worms. Priming off press makes things go a lot easier, since it eliminates the most common problems. It also has the following advantages:

1) All primers can be seated correctly, regardless of pocket depth
2) I can feel each primer seat

I use an Auto-Prime II on a small Lee Press, so I can use the same trays that came with the Loadmaster. Since no one has jumped in to say that the priming system has been improved to the point where it would be a massive advantage, I will continue with my current system.

Gillie Dog

Postby Gillie Dog » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:50 pm

Well it seems to me you negate the "progressive" part of the press by not priming on press. I prime all pistol calibers I do on press. Doing 45ACP, 40 S&W, 38 Special and 9MM has shown me that on press priming can be very successful. I do use Mike's primer system to be sure the primer punch is properly located in relation the primer trough. I have run 2,000 45ACP over a multiple day period with out a priming failure but that is an abnormally large batch for me as most runs are only a few hundred. I just do not have priming issues on Load-Masters.

That said I do not run full "progressive" as a purest would say, I decap on a dedicated decapper, pin wash and then to the Load-Master to size, prime, add powder, seat bullet and crimp (as needed). I also use the dedicated decapper to size before loading if trimming is needed before loading also, like 30 Carbine does at times.

To accomplish this the press is mounted rock solid so there is absolutely no movement during operation, no wiggle, no shake, no movement to screw with primer transfer to punch or upward movement to primer pocket. For 9MM I use a modified 19S shell plate to center the primer pocket over primer punch. Other than that the priming problems I have are from running the tray out of primers.

I am one of the lucky ones. Works for me, YMMV.

GD

R1200R

Postby R1200R » Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:15 am

I use mixed brass and I've loaded thousands of rounds on my LM, I've had NO priming issues at all. My priming system works flawlessly, I must be living right. I get the occasional upside down case in a feed tube but that's easily rectified. Every couple thousand rounds indexing will get harder, I loosen the draw bolt and adjust my shell plate carrier, and things run as good as new. No modified shell plates, no modified primer system, nothing changed from the way it came out of the box. I'm one satisfied customer.

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:25 pm

Careful OP, you're flying very close to the flame. I can guarantee you that there are far more bad experiences with the priming system of the LLM than there are good experiences as posted above.

Gillie Dog

Postby Gillie Dog » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:13 pm

Until you determine it for yourself you will never know if priming will/would have worked for you. Nothing ventured and a lot to gain. Worth a try.

Possibly incorrectly, I never tried the OEM priming system because of the naysayers and went right to Mike's which works for me. Who knows if OEM would have worked but I do very much like Mike's logic behind what he did/does. I do not have any stock parts left to even try so I will just mosey along priming on press and will not get a different color press because this one works so well regardless of what is pontificated on the net. It is not the color of the press, it is the want to make it work, Mike took this to the end of the road and a lot of us are better off because of that.

GD

Return to “Load Master forum”