New Auto drum and 9mm cases

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

llangston1

New Auto drum and 9mm cases

Postby llangston1 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:17 pm

I seem to be having an issues with my auto drum when trying to load 9mm cases. I thought I had the die set correctly for the right flare but I am not getting full activation of the auto drum so that the powder chamber actually opens up to receive powder. I can see the drum rotate up but it only goes about 3/4 of a total rotation. If I manually rotate the drum then it fills up with powder and dumps it into the case correctly. So do I need to screw in the powder die further into the turret? Will that cause too much flare?

Anyone have any suggestions? What controls the amount of rotation of the drum in the upward direction?

llangston1

Re: New Auto drum and 9mm cases

Postby llangston1 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:51 pm

Not sure what my problem was but it seems to have cleared up now. As I can determine the powder cavity in the drum rotates CCW a little past the point where the adjustable cavity is centered over the hole where the powder falls from the hopper into the drum cavity. So my question is should it rotate that far CCW or when it stops should the drum cavity remain centered over the hole?

Here is a pic. Is this normal operation or not?

Gillie Dog

Postby Gillie Dog » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:35 pm

You are good, I am sure. That is how mine looks.

As a test I did 50 throws of Unique to see how a "tough to meter" powder did. At 6.0 grains it threw +/- 0.1 grain individually but for 50 it averaged out to 6.06 grains. Yes, .06 not 0.6 or 303 grains total. Needless to say I was impressed but drop to drop is most important not average. So out comes HP38 for same test and after adjusting the drum, 50 throws were 300 grains as close as I could measure it on the 10-10 beam scale. And they were all 6.0 grains individually, again as close as my beam and/or electronic both could weigh them. I do not know---must be the correct phase of the moon or something. And no leaking. I did do the clean the whole measure and expander up/wipe down, then coat drum with graphite, then run about half a hopper of powder through before starting out. And I did the wipe down the hopper with a used dryer sheet thing also. Just ran these tests yesterday and of course the rate is a little slower than loading because of the measuring each drop.

And that is with a measure which appears to operate just like yours. My 9mm flare is just enough for plated bullets which is not much. I was setting up for 45ACP for the first time with this drum so 6.0 grains was picked at random for testing this time.

YMMV-Good Luck

GD
Last edited by Gillie Dog on Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

llangston1

Postby llangston1 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:51 pm

When coating the drum with graphite did you use graphite powder or the spray on graphite? I have both so will it make a difference?

Gillie Dog

Postby Gillie Dog » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:42 am

The powdered and a little artists brush. Just to speed up what the powder will do itself over time. All surfaces cleaned, the drum, "drop tube", expander, hopper "funnel", I just wipe down/pull through with a small piece of old T shirt rag (some use alcohol or acetone I have heard, but not me) and coated with graphite, it is not much. Again, have heard of running a tablespoon of graphite through, but not me. Running powder will do the same eventually.

Good luck

GD

Return to “Load Master forum”