Pro Auto disk with adj bar not throwing well

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

wonderwolf

Pro Auto disk with adj bar not throwing well

Postby wonderwolf » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:30 pm

Long story short, came into a couple k of cheap jacketed 9mm bullets. Heavier than I normally load I thought I would load these up for the summer. Found a load I liked after working it up on the single stage press and moved the works over to the load master. I've loaded 4.2 gr of red dot on the loadmaster for a long time and have rare issues with it. Now I dropped down to 3gr red dot and the pro auto disk would only rarely drop powder.

I degaussed the hopper....I took it apart and checked everything, cleaned it...played with tension on the lock nuts. but nothing fixed this.

Is it just that the low powder volume of that charge does not go well with the adjustable bar? It reset correctly every time and cycled as it should.

bfox

Re: Pro Auto disk with adj bar not throwing well

Postby bfox » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:36 pm

I would guess it's to small of a charge . The Lee micro disk would probably work well .

wonderwolf

Postby wonderwolf » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:07 pm

It comes out to .48 CC's on my thrower...didn't try the closest in the disk set as I really dislike using those things.

Gillie Dog

Postby Gillie Dog » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:33 am

I was never really successful with the adjustable bar and small throws.

I ended up selling all my Auto Disk Pros and replaced them with Auto Drums which just plain work.

Your best bet might be an Auto Drum and not worry about it. I was able to get the Auto Drums for just a few bucks because at the time Auto Disk Pros were fetching a good price.

GD

websterz

Postby websterz » Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:47 am

My adjustable charge bar went in the trash! +1 for the Auto Drum. They are fantastic!

wonderwolf

Postby wonderwolf » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:22 pm

I may try the discs later today since its raining outside and I have about 2000 wadcutters to load. I may look around for a auto drum and give that a try as well.

When I took the press down again there was a good amount of powder piled up right behind the orifice on then adjustable bar. It's weird it will throw 4.0gr just fine but anything less seems to give problems.

KenB

Postby KenB » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:18 pm

I found (can't remember where it was posted) that if you restricting the front of the opening (farthest from the thumb screw) it will force you to move the opening farther back (so it will get under the opening from the hopper better (more)
Carefull there is a fine line too much it won't all go into the shell?

Capt. Bob

Postby Capt. Bob » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:03 am

[quoteI degaussed the hopper....I took it apart and checked everything, cleaned it...played with tension on the lock nuts. but nothing fixed this.
][/quote]

How do you degauss a hopper? Inquiring minds (mine anyway) want to know.

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:15 am

I could be totally wrong, but I think OP's referring to wiping off/out the hopper with something like a used fabric softener sheet to reduce static charge. I've done it routinely with all my pwd measures and it seems to help.

Capt. Bob

Postby Capt. Bob » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:24 am

I do that too. I didn't know it was called degaussing.

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:12 pm

Here's one of the definitions: To remove external magnetic forces

Gillie Dog

Postby Gillie Dog » Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:55 pm

Capt. Bob wrote:I do that too. I didn't know it was called degaussing.

It really is not. Removing a static charge is much different than "neutralizing"/degaussing a magnetic field. In my former life (having to work for a living) we had to deal with a lot of static charges on plastic materials running at high speed over metal rollers and such, and once the static was gone there was no "static cling" of course. The magnetic field needs something which will be/get magnetized like ferrous metals.

GD

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:49 pm

Degaussing is the process of reducing or eliminating an unwanted magnetic field (or data) stored on tape and disk media such as computer and laptop hard drives, diskettes, reels, cassettes and cartridge tapes.
By rubbing a dryer sheet (I use used ones) it seems to remove the static charge on my pwd hoppers.

Gillie Dog

Postby Gillie Dog » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:02 pm

Sparky45 wrote:Degaussing is the process of reducing or eliminating an unwanted magnetic field (or data) stored on tape and disk media such as computer and laptop hard drives, diskettes, reels, cassettes and cartridge tapes.
By rubbing a dryer sheet (I use used ones) it seems to remove the static charge on my pwd hoppers.

100% agree, I do the same.

I do not get any Sparky's.....hehe. :D :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

GD

Capt. Bob

Postby Capt. Bob » Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:56 am

It really is not. Removing a static charge is much different than "neutralizing"/degaussing a magnetic field. In my former life (having to work for a living) we had to deal with a lot of static charges on plastic materials running at high speed over metal rollers and such, and once the static was gone there was no "static cling" of course. The magnetic field needs something which will be/get magnetized like ferrous metals.

In my former life (before I retired). I worked around the then new F/A 18 Hornet and before the ground crew would do anything to a plane after it returned from a mission. They would rub the canopy down with a wand on a long pole. It was to remove any built up static electricity before even touching it. This was the only plane they did this with at the time. It must have worked.

Return to “Load Master forum”