Problems with squib loads after going over to loadmaster in 38 HBWC

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

brumble

Problems with squib loads after going over to loadmaster in 38 HBWC

Postby brumble » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:09 pm

Hello everyone.

I am an avid reloader and shooter from Norway that has previously loaded 1000's of rounds on my trusty old Lee classic cast turret press featuring the pro autodisc powder measure.
The Caliber of Choice is 38 special, featuring 148 grains plated HBWC bullets from Haendler and Naterman with 2.5 grains of Vihtavuori N-310 seated to 29.40 mm COAL priming With russian Murom Small Pistol primers using Norma brass (Warning: all reloading and firing of reloaded ammunition is done at your own risk, the author assume no liability for death, injuries, or damage due to the use of this, or any other load data!)
As stated earlier I have loaded 1000's of rounds With this exact data and have NEVER had a single hiccup With the classic cast press, delivering results that I think are nearly Equal to factory loads. I have since changed to a Loadmaster to improve speed of prodution and here begun my griefs..

After happily loading a few 100's on the LM and testing meticulously that all parameters were up to specs I went to the range to test the ammo, the results were just what I expected, so home I went and reloaded 500 more. The Next time I went to the range to test this ammo, I started having really scary squibs, giving a small puff of smoke and sticking the bullet in the bore. On a bag of 500 I had atleast 10 squibs that all required Heavy pounding With a brass rod to dislodge the bullet.

On reviewing the press setup it seemed plausible that the disconnect/return Chain had jumped a notch and this would cause the issues. So I tightened the Chain, figuring this would be the end of my woes and reloaded another 200 rounds, upon testing these rounds some squib loads did again reappear, causing me to cuss heavily while pushing the bullet loose from the bore.
In all honesty, this Extreme Level of squib loads are a major deterrent to using this press, just imagine the consequences if this occured in a high speed shooting match...

I have since checked the Chain it seems fine but, why did any of this never happen With my turret press, I mean the only difference that is obvious is that the turret press features a Return spring instead of the Return Chain on the LM..

Hope you don't mind the very long first post.

All inputs are appreciated!

gooffeyguy

Re: Problems with squib loads after going over to loadmaster in 38 HBWC

Postby gooffeyguy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:40 pm

I've never had a problem with squib loads on any of my LM's or Pro1000's. I don't use the chain on the powder measures though, just the springs. I haven't heard any problems like this when using the chain though, but maybe someone else will know what's going on.

Sorry, that probably doesn't help you at all.

brumble

Postby brumble » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:41 am

Thank you for Your reply!
So you use the powdermeasure With the return spring instead and have had no troubles... This is similar to the experiences I have had on the classic cast press.
Actually the only thing stopping me from doing this on the LM so far is the fear of double charges since this is from what I understand the meaning of the Chain. But unless no one else chimes in, the Chain goes Down the drain and back on With the Return spring. The thing I really love about the LM is that the bullet feeder is able to feed the full wadcutters i use, making it really fast for reloading these rounds.

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:17 am

Several mods to choose from heres a link; viewtopic.php?f=2&t=846

gooffeyguy

Postby gooffeyguy » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:52 pm

brumble wrote:Thank you for Your reply!
So you use the powdermeasure With the return spring instead and have had no troubles... This is similar to the experiences I have had on the classic cast press.
Actually the only thing stopping me from doing this on the LM so far is the fear of double charges since this is from what I understand the meaning of the Chain. But unless no one else chimes in, the Chain goes Down the drain and back on With the Return spring. The thing I really love about the LM is that the bullet feeder is able to feed the full wadcutters i use, making it really fast for reloading these rounds.

As long as you pay close attention to what you are doing and move the arm fully during each swing and not move it halfway up then back down again during the same cycle, which could cause a double charge.

The calibers I reload and the powders for them would overflow the case if I accidentally threw a double charge, which would be easily caught. Might not be in your case though. Get a good light mounted and look into the case after it's charged every time before moving to the next station. This helps with not making squibs also.

I removed the round knockout from the center of the turret and have a small, but very bright flashlight (Coast HX5) shining down through onto the shellplate

20170612_144712.jpg
20170612_144712.jpg (193.8 KiB) Viewed 308 times

Return to “Load Master forum”