New owner needs help!

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

Bob7398

New owner needs help!

Postby Bob7398 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:01 am

Hi Guy's,
I'm 62 yrs old and have been using a Lee Pro 1000 for the last 4 years. I decided to try the Loadmaster and have totally failed.
I purchased it from Titan and also picked up Magic Mike's billet turret. The press came with Lee's RGB 9mm dies (which I never heard of),
and had file marks on the frame ramp where the indexing rod rides against (Titan says new presses come this way).
Using Mike's turret and the many You Tube videos, station 1 is a universal decapping die, station 2 is a sizing die with the pin removed, station 3
is the powder thru die, station 4 is bullet seating and station 5 is Lee FCD. Press is mounted on a sturdy bench with no movement.
My primer trough has the letter "A" on it and I took some 800 grit sandpaper and made sure there were no burrs. I wiped it down and installed it
with the shell plate and case ejector and added primers.
The press decapped ok, but every time.... I get a tipped primer. I've taken it apart and put it back to get so many times, I can do it in my sleep!
I watched all the videos and adjusted the carrier correctly with no help. After 4 days of trying different things....It is now having indexing problems.
After running the handle up and down between 10-15 times, the index flipper will hang up half way on the frame ramp and movement will stop.
I tried turning the flipper in different directions, but still no luck. I am using light grease on the indexing rod and flipper.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Bob
http://imgur.com/vSllKP2
http://imgur.com/zhDbK8a
http://imgur.com/pV6eefX

Gillie Dog

Re: New owner needs help!

Postby Gillie Dog » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:32 pm

Lee has been packaging the progressive "Really Good Buy" RGB dies for a while now. Same carbide three die set but no shell holder or dipper as they are not needed with progressive press.

The frame ramp is correct and has been machined in there for a long time now. No lube or grease should be needed on the ramp or flipper.

Is the bevel on the index rod inserted in correct direction? Screw the flipper on/in one full turn and see if "hang up" goes away. (If I am understanding "hang up" properly)

Primer feed needs to be looked at for high or low primer pin. Maybe bur on/in primer pin cavity or ????. Slider moves back and forth smoothly?

GD

Bob7398

Postby Bob7398 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:48 pm

Thanks for the reply!
The slider does move smoothly but I'll check the pin height and index rod
When I get home.

Bob7398

Postby Bob7398 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:07 pm

I pulled the index rod and the bevel was in the correct position. I found that the small arm of the flipper has a ramp that rides on the frame and it appeared to have some flashing on it . I removed the flashing and turned the flipper in one turn and cycled the press without any shells 30 times without any problems! I placed the turret back on and successfully deprimed 65 cases!
I am happy with step one! Thank you Gillie Dog for your help!
Tomorrow I will look at the primer pin!

llangston1

Postby llangston1 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:39 pm

Sometimes I think those index flippers may have to wear in a little. I got some new flippers for my LLM this year and they started hanging up just like yours do. I finally had to just go back to my old flipper and my press works fine now with no indexing issues. I would put a dab of some STP or similar grease on the press arm where that flipper rides up and down and see if that helps.

llangston1

Postby llangston1 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:41 pm

Also you might want the Magic Mike carrier and primer pin mods that allow you to adjust the primer pin height to make sure the primer will not flip as it slides into position on top of the pin. I really like those mods.

Bob7398

Postby Bob7398 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:41 pm

I'm not sure Mike sells them anymore......
I looked over the primer pin and the height appears correct. Working the lever up and down, I found that the primer
pin is catching a bur as it goes thru the trough. I cleaned it up and now it moves ok.
I removed the turret so I could watch the shells as they get primed. Using the 65 cases that I ran thru the decapper
and sizing die...I started priming. My first observation was how far the cases wanted to be from the center of the shell
plate! But the primers were seating perfectly and at the correct depth! I'm starting to get excited when at the 25th case,
the shell plate tried to turn clockwise and jams. Had to lift the ram a little to move the indexing rod and was able to turn
the plate back to the right spot. Had the same thing happen at the 60th case.
One time, I tried to move the case closer on the plate and that primer went in sideways.
So now I'm thinking of moving the sizing die to station 1 and leaving station 2 empty.
Here are a couple of pictures showing how far off the case is.....but they all primed great!

http://i.imgur.com/bg8kdNu.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/uaVZOlR.jpg

Gillie Dog

Postby Gillie Dog » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:27 pm

The 19S shell plate and 9mm have provided this issue all along.

Some make a 19S plate with wire shims in back just for 9mm and others move case retainer out to center case on primer pin and have centrifugal force slide it out to proper location when indexed. I use a "shimmed" plate which is just for 9mm and have another for 40S&W.

Mike discusses the off center 9mm on his site I think. I did the drill out the primer pocket on a case so in station two I could see how far off center it was. Have never had a tipped primer with a full trough yet.

GD
Last edited by Gillie Dog on Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bob7398

Postby Bob7398 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:03 pm

Thanks! I'll try the case retainer adjustment first, but I do have wire I can use.
I'm going to set up the auto-drum powder measure next and work on loading those 65 shells!
I'll let you know my progress.

Bob7398

Postby Bob7398 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:26 pm

I previously set up my auto-drum powder measure on my classic turret and transferred it to the Loadmaster. I verified the correct
drop and proceeded to load my primed cases. The powder measure, bullet seating and the FCD are all set to my liking and had no
problems loading my shells! I was actually pretty happy, but still needed to run cases from start to finish.
I'm doing one at a time for now and have just made 50 without any problems! I'm a Happy Camper!!!
I think I'll do a couple of hundred more to get a good feel for the machine and then move on to the case feeder!
I kept the dies in place and moved the case retainer out a little in station 2.
A big Thank You for those who helped and to all for having a great forum!

Return to “Load Master forum”