changed carrier today

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

bill3337

changed carrier today

Postby bill3337 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:28 pm

primers have been seating erratically ,checked flush and slightly high ,w/slight smileys 45 acp
i investigated and found the primer rocker screw hole a little wallowed out and a small crack
got a new one from lee and it went right in good
as i had been increasing primer depth to cover for this to compensate i brought it down maybe 1 rev
rechecked all adjustments ,turret was a little loose re timed it greased it up
took my time about 2 hours checked everything
now they seat below flush consistently winchester federal and mixed cases including S&B also winchester and cci primers.
just made a quick trial of 25 rounds all perfect no bobbles 3 min on the clock slowly
checked primers with magnification glass all look good
the machine has had in excess of 150 200 thousand since 1993 :)
any feedback or comments on your primer depth or carrier adjustments?
BTW to get perfect carrier alignment place a shim stock of 20 thousands against the frame YMMV flush was to binding for me
Last edited by bill3337 on Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

erle

Re: changed carrier today

Postby erle » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:50 pm

You did good. These LLM's will work but you have to be somewhat mechanical minded to keep them working smoothly. I think a lot of the complaints are from users who have similar problems as yours & they don't know where or how to trouble shoot it.

Happy reloading with it for another 24 years!

Erle

Gillie Dog

Postby Gillie Dog » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:33 pm

My guess is the press cost you about $1.00 per thousand rounds. Darn good return on investment I'd say.

At the current rate it will take another 9 years for me to get that many rounds produced on a single LM but it will interesting to see how it goes over the years.

Well done.

GD

prs

Postby prs » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:44 pm

My guess is that many Loadmasters are running with cracked carrier at the primer lever pivot area. My press is about the same age as yours, close to 20 yrs and I have no idea of how many bushels of rounds it has cranked out. I got it used with "optional" cracked carrier. I broke a carrier, and one of the then kid's friends broke one. I keep a spare on hand. The press typically make a little "snap" sound at the full upstroke when loading if the carrier is cracked, just about every time you cycle it. In setting the carrier to get proper index, it can be flush to slightly off and be proper; BUT you will have little choice of which because it depends upon how the serrated edges of the carrier bottom and ram top mesh. One notch too tight and the press will bind at primer trough to frame and one too loose it will not index.

prs

Return to “Load Master forum”