Occasionally crushing cases in my new Loadmaster

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

CurlyShuffle

Occasionally crushing cases in my new Loadmaster

Postby CurlyShuffle » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:59 am

Hello,

Somewhat recently I got my first LoadMaster (40 S&W). I've been able to load a little over 200 rounds so far (all 180 gr Hornady XTP). Once I've tinkered everything, it seems to run pretty well, with one occasional exception. I've crushed 15 cases. I would guess the obvious solution to this would be to crank down the flare die a bit more, but I don't want to run into an issue where the indexer doesn't go through a full stroke. Should I change out the bullet seating die to the Hornady seating die (I have their 3 die set) to minimize the issue? Or is there another solution I should try?

websterz

Re: Occasionally crushing cases in my new Loadmaster

Postby websterz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:50 am

Get rid of the Lee flaring die and replace it with a Lyman M die. I use them for 9mm, .40S&W and .45acp. They are much more forgiving of minor differences in case length than the flaring die and I have not crushed a single case out of multiple thousands that I have reloaded.

CurlyShuffle

Postby CurlyShuffle » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:04 pm

What do you use as a powder drop if are using the Lyman M die for flaring?

CurlyShuffle

Postby CurlyShuffle » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:48 pm

Websterz, When I did some additional research on the Lyman M dies, I came across a YouTube video from FortuneCookie45LC regarding Lyman dies. He mentioned that there is a separate attachment for the M dies that give it the same powder through ability as the Lee die. You would then use the Lyman powder measure. Is that the setup you use in conjunction with your Lyman M dies?

websterz

Postby websterz » Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:31 pm

I'm running a Lee Auto Drum for my powder measure and I have it backed out of the turret just enough that it adds no additional flare to the cases. No additional components needed.

bfox

Postby bfox » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:09 pm

Websterz how are your dies setup ? Is it size , prime , Lyman m die , Lee auto drum , then seat and crimp in one step ?

websterz

Postby websterz » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:28 am

I deprime in a single step prior to wet tumbling, then I hand prime with an RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool.
When reloading I leave station 1 empty. #2 is the Lyman M die, #3 is the powder drop, #4 is bullet seating and #5 is the Lee Factory Crimp Die.
Leaving #1 open prevents crushing case rims if the case pusher doesn't get the case fully on to the shell plate. As the plate rotates to #2 any short stroked cases are nudged into place by the case retainer at station 2.

Return to “Load Master forum”