Carrier adjustment .

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

bfox

Carrier adjustment .

Postby bfox » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:49 pm

Mine for some reason needs adjusted shell plate no longer rotates .I have done it before a long time ago , it seemed easier then. Finally it is working again .

My question is does the bottom of your flipper ride on the frame ? Mine does , when I raised the ram and pulled it into touch the frame it had to go in a bit more , In the videos it did not look like the bottom of the flipper was ever hitting .

Thanks

bfox

Re: Carrier adjustment .

Postby bfox » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:34 pm

Yes Bfox you are correct ! The bottom of the flipper comes into contact with the press .

Gillie Dog

Postby Gillie Dog » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:15 pm

Okay, I will take a crack at it.

My problem is the nomenclature. So here goes a clarification.

The flipper is the plastic piece on the end of the index rod which has a cylindrical "body", a top "leg" and a bottom "leg".

Now, at the bottom of the stroke, handle going up, the handle pushes on the flipper to push in the index rod in and rotate the shell plate one station. On the way up, as the handle is lowered, a web on the press frame pushes the bottom leg of the flipper out of the vertical position so it can slide buy the frame (rotate the flipper a little to clear the frame), and at this point, yes, the cylindrical portion of the flipper is touching or just barely clearing the frame web. Once the ram nears the top of the stroke a button/bump on the frame pushes the top leg of the flipper back to vertical position so that on the downward stroke the bottom leg of the flipper will ride down the machined web (older versions were not machined) of the frame and thus pulling out the flipper and index rod so the next indexing can take place at the bottom of the stroke.

That is a very long winded way to get to, yes, the cylindrical part of the flipper should just touch or just clear (0.001") the web of the press on the way up. I have set up several Load Masters and have set them so the cylindrical part of the flipper just touches the frame web on the way up and all these machines have indexed well and are continuing to do so after many thousands of rounds produced.

Hope that helps... And I think "bottom" had us/me confused a little.

GD

bfox

Postby bfox » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:19 pm

Thanks for the reply . Had the LM for years and adjusted the flipper for shell plate rotation a few times . It just seemed easier before . I did put a new carrier on a year or so ago , it cracked right at the primer arm .

Gillie Dog

Postby Gillie Dog » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:31 pm

I have never broken a carrier yet and I use a lot of "range" mixed brass which should/might have a little different depth primer pockets and cause additional force to be placed on the primer arm. Just lucky I guess. Knock on wood.

I take a random piece of brass and seat a primer with an Auto Prime II and use it to set the primer depth on the LM. Seems to work fine for me.

GD

Return to “Load Master forum”