Question about flaring the case

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

rkl56119

Question about flaring the case

Postby rkl56119 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:55 am

Hi,

I just got my Load-Master for a .45 ACP up and running. I've loaded about 75 rds so far but I have a question regarding the flaring die. I have the deluxe die set but I can't figure out which one is the flaring die. I thought the powder die also do the flaring but the flaring seems to be inconsistent. I noticed that sometimes on the bullet seating position I can place the bullet on the case easily while other times the flare seems to be too small for the bullet to stay on.

Shadowdog500

Postby Shadowdog500 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:14 am

You are correct; the powder die is also the expanding die.
I never had inconsistent fairing. Usually they are all either right or wrong. My gut reaction is that it could be several things. I listed them below in no real order.

I cases are different lengths. I think this may be unlikely since I never trim pistol cases.

The expander die is not tight in the shellplate. This may let the die move up and down.

Powder thrower not screwed into die all the way. This may also cause some play.

Shellplate rocking. I usually set the sizing die for plate contact +1/4 turn, so that it rocks the same every time.

I would also be curious how consistent the powder charges are since the case pushes the expander up to activate the powder thrower.

Hopefully someone here has experienced this problem and has a tried and tested solution.

Chris

rkl56119

Postby rkl56119 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:05 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think my shellplate is loose but I'll try your other suggestions.

I really appreciate it.

benedict1

Postby benedict1 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:57 pm

I agree; something is loose somewhere. Once the die is tight and the powder measure is tight and the sizing die is in contact with the shell plate at the top of the stroke, flaring should be very consistent.

One screwy thought--is the flaring tube in the powder-through expander die right side up? It is possible, I believe, to get it in upside down. I doubt this is it but stranger things have happened! :oops:

Return to “Load Master forum”