My advice for newbies

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

darwin
Site Admin

My advice for newbies

Postby darwin » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:04 pm

If you are new to reloading on the Load Master, and especially if it is your first press, here's my advice for you. Don't install the case feeder and case inserter. Just pick up each case and place it directly into the shellplate. This accomplishes three important goals:

It eliminates all of the problems setting up and adjusting this stuff until you are comfortable with the press.

Even more important, it let's you start out slow. Feed one case and run it all of the way through the press before inserting another. That way you'll learn what to watch in a safer, less stressful manner. Then add a case every other stroke, etc.

When something goes wrong, you can stop and fix it easier because you don't have another case being fed.

When you get comfortable enough, install the case inserter and case feeder if you want. I left mine off and never looked back.

Please post any questions or concerns you have. That's why we're here.

vdsgw

new Loadmaster user

Postby vdsgw » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:20 am

Even though I have had a Pro 1000 for several loading 9mm I thought I was prepared for the Loadmaster. I ordered it in .223, it came with the "Perfect Powder measure". That was the start of my problems. The brass bushings were milled to large for the .223 and the case necks went up inside the primary bushing and I lost to much travel. Lees customer service is really great they checked for new bushings and found what they had in stock had also been milled to large. Lee sent me the basic powder hopper with a dual stack kit for enough powder to fill 26 gr of h-335 powder. After putting the plastic side risers on so 2 disks fit I filled my hopper with powder. As I cycled the hopper checking for proper charge powder was falling out of the disks . The plastic risers were to thick and I relized there was about a card thickness between the bottom of the red hopper and the top of the disk allowing powder to flow out cloging up the movement of the disks. It would not release all the way back and not fill the disk holes with the proper amount of powder. After talking to myself for awhile I figured I would try to fix it since this was a sat. and I wanted loaded ammo. 2 hour of fileing and scraping the height of the plastic risers I finally got it to the right height and the powder measure works great now. Lee also followed up and is sending me a new Pro measure.
I am sure someone else has had this problem but I could not find it on the forum. Lee equipment is great "once you set up and adjust it". I enjoy tinkering so I got it. Some others just need to know what they may run into and how to fix it if it happens. It is a lot going on as you say and I am only using the powder die, bullet seater and factory crimp die right now. Later I will us the primer feed but I will run 500 rounds of preprim first. thanks for all your information

Jumping Frog

Re: My advice for newbies

Postby Jumping Frog » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:55 am

darwin wrote:Even more important, it let's you start out slow. Feed one case and run it all of the way through the press before inserting another. That way you'll learn what to watch in a safer, less stressful manner. Then add a case every other stroke, etc.

I agree +1. When you are firtst starting out, it isnice to run the Loadmaster like it is a turret press, sending one case at a time through from start to finish. You can really keep an eye on things and get used tothe press.

darwin wrote:When you get comfortable enough, install the case inserter and case feeder if you want. I left mine off and never looked back.

One of the great things about freedom is we all have freedom to make different choices.

After getting used to things, I installed my case feeder and it works terrifically well. Saves a ton of time (for me), and I would not want to do without it. Different strokes . . . .

daboone

Postby daboone » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:30 am

After you have done the steps listed above and you still have problems be sure to ask questions and look at the " LoadMaster-Major Fixes" section."

I don't know of any progressive press that is totally frustration free. So hang in there and reap the benefits the information other have provided here. You will soon enough be posting unique solutions and ideas that we all will benefit from.

chios1958

Postby chios1958 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:39 pm

Thats what happened to me. I set everything up at once, and too much was going on at the same time. I removed the bullet feeder and case feeder and took one step at a time. I did 100 rounds turret style, moved on to adding more cases etc until I had them going all at the same time. It was easier to fix problems as they came up this way, until I had it running smooth as silk. It certainly is less frustrating doing it this way. It works so well now , I would not trade it in for any other press. :D

chios1958

Postby chios1958 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:42 pm

Thats what happened to me. I set everything up at once, and too much was going on at the same time. I removed the bullet feeder and case feeder and took one step at a time. I did 100 rounds turret style, moved on to adding more cases etc until I had them going all at the same time. It was easier to fix problems as they came up this way, until I had it running smooth as silk. It certainly is less frustrating doing it this way. It works so well now , I would not trade it in for any other press. :D

mstrpetie

Good Advice for a Newbie

Postby mstrpetie » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:49 pm

Having finished my first 2000 rounds on the Loadmaster the best advice is start SLOW 1 at a time. Be sure that EVERY operation both down and up allows the lever to travel to it's full stops, if not recheck dies etc. The Arm stop must be what stops the travel not a die. You need to see and feel the arm coming to the full and complete stop on each operation. After that set up the case feeder but only load 2 at a time, then 3, then 4, then 5.

john127

Postby john127 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:55 am

Similar happened to me. Just received my 1st ever progressive press last week, which was a LLM, & loaded a string of 9mm after getting used to how the thing works. I've been loading for over 30 yrs but got overwhelmed by the number of things going on at one time on this press. Just like Darwin said, before I could finish troubleshooting 1 thing, another case was indexing on it's way to add to the confusion.

I'll have to fall back & punt now & do like he, and all the rest of you, suggested by removing the case feeder & feed 1 case to go full cycle around the merry-go-round.

Randy_Lahey

Postby Randy_Lahey » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:36 pm

good advice. I've taken several evenings working bugs out of mine; some self inflicted.

If buying a LLM; be prepared to invest several(probably many many) hours in getting to know her, and knowing how she likes her "foreplay" lol. As Mike says; she is a bit high maintenance, but when running right; will make great ammo. I'm not yet to that point, but shouldn't be too long now :)

websterz

Postby websterz » Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:02 am

My best advice is this:

Concentrate on making every stroke of the handle the same as the one before it. A smooth, steady stroke, and a press mounted as rigidly as possible are the key to consistent ammo. Every LLM has its own personality, its own little quirks that you will become familiar with over time. One of my presses likes a double tap at the top of the cycle. It is a short movement, lowering the ram a half inch or so before bumping the cases back up into the dies a second time. It has become muscle memory to me now, after countless thousands of 9mm and .40S&W. My other press, dedicated for .45acp prefers a smooth up and down motion with no hesitation. Both presses turn out very consistent ammo, they just have their own personalities.

carload9

Postby carload9 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:24 am

i buy websterz's parts and magic mikes parts. Newbies should take time to mount mm shake break. The lund cargo spreader bar goes along with the shake break from ebay. Type in lund cargo bar. l got the chrome one, adjustments on both ends which is what you want.

Try to read old post and watch old vids and look at all the photos on this forum.

Return to “Load Master forum”