Perfect Powder Measure Auto Disk and graphite powder?

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

Ping Ping

Perfect Powder Measure Auto Disk and graphite powder?

Postby Ping Ping » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:18 pm

I've read a few places that, in addition to running an initial hopper of powder, it's helpful to "lube" the PPM plastic surfaces with some graphite powder. It's reported to help "smooth things out" and aid break-in.

Any truth to this? Worth the bother?

Jumping Frog

Postby Jumping Frog » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:52 pm

I never did it, and mine works fine. Can't say it wouldn't help, but I can't say it would.

I think I'd try first without it and if you are not happy with results you can always do it later.

Ping Ping

Update

Postby Ping Ping » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:53 am

Well, I went'n did it. I hit all the sliding surfaces and inside powder feed surfaces with graphite. My first three drops were spot-on .61. I think it helped with static and also added the dose of graphite you get from dropping a few hoppers. It just accelerated the process.

The reason I decided to do this is that Im running Clay's, a flake powder, and wanted to hedge my bets against bridging.

I'm a believer.

azleadmelter

Postby azleadmelter » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:57 pm

Graphite?

Where does a person get Graphite Powder?

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:32 pm

It's used to lubricate locks - or used to be. Some hardware stores still carry it. It comes in small tubes that look like what Loctite comes in.

Ping Ping

Postby Ping Ping » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:44 am

I got mine at my local True Value for $1.29. It looks like a small tube of toothpaste, or even more like a large, yellow, tube of Neosporin. Nasty, filthy stuff, but perfect for the powder system surfaces and BRILLIANT for the case feed slider! No matter how judiciously I lubed the feeder bar, the (recommended) STP Oil Treatment went STRAIGHT to the priming system. Even if graphite does migrate, it causes no issues. I also use it on the spindle of the primer indexer.

JohnMcD348

Postby JohnMcD348 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:07 pm

You can get it at the big box stores also. Look around where they cut keys in the lock section. I also wonder if you couldn't just rub a #2 pencil or something like that on the surfaces to give you enough graphite lube to do the job initially.

Ping Ping

Postby Ping Ping » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:35 am

JohnMcD348 wrote:You can get it at the big box stores also. Look around where they cut keys in the lock section. I also wonder if you couldn't just rub a #2 pencil or something like that on the surfaces to give you enough graphite lube to do the job initially.

No. The binding agent in pencil lead is emolient; would gum up the works.

Return to “Load Master forum”