LM won't feed last few primers

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

salbanal

LM won't feed last few primers

Postby salbanal » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:29 am

Hi all,

First off, great site. Has already save me many hours (days) and headaches!!

I'm new to the LM and after going though the individual stations and getting those set up to what seemd correct, I decided to try to load some 9mm. SInce I was working up a new load, I started at a starting load and only wanted to load a few, then bump up the charge some and load a few more.

So, I only loaded the primer tray with 15 primers to load 15 rounds. All went fine initially, except that for the last 4 or 5 primers, I had to really flick the primer chute to get a primer to feed, and the last primer would not feed at all. It seems like at the bottom of the chute, the primer trough levels out, and without any primers behind pushing, the last few primers don't have enough inertia to travel into the feed area.

Any comments on this? Is this nrmal and you just have to have a partially full primer tray?

Thanks in advance!

helg

Postby helg » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:01 pm

Same here.

When I am about to finish reloading session, and there are no more primers in the tray (only primer through has them), I put 10 spent primers into the tray, and then after a few cycles start checking every shell on station 3 whether it still has a live primer in.

Then I do not throw away the remaining 9 out of the primer through till the next session, but use them to adjust/verify adjustment of the primer seating depth screw. It is always 9 of them in the through.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:15 pm

That's normal. The weight of the primers above it are largely responsible for pushing a primer through. Just fill it up when it gets low and you should have no problem.

Once the last primer goes out of the tray, run a few more through before removing the tray. If you do it too soon, there will be primer(s) in the area where the tray slides into the trough. You'll have to dig them out with something before the tray will slide into plavvce.

I watch for the last primer to drop down enough to see an empty spot in the top slot of the trough. You could easily figure out how many primers you need to run after the tray runs dry and just count.

You should be watching the primer trough every stroke to make sure the primers slide down correctly, too. :)

salbanal

Postby salbanal » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:33 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'll make sure to keep the primer tray at least partially full.

The reason I didn't fill it up this time is that since this was the first time using the press, I didn't want any primers exploding! (When I bought the press, they were out of the primer explosion shield) So I was playing it safe and only puttin in a small amount of primers.

BTW, I'm using Remington 1 1/2 primers. Are these "safe" like CCI or "unsafe" like the Federal?

Thanks again.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:13 pm

I've only used Remington primers because that's the only brand my local shop carries.

I have set a couple off, my fault. It never set off any others, though.

daboone

Postby daboone » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:10 am

If you haven't try taking that trough apart and examine it for mold marks/burrs. After that keeping it full is a #1 priority.

Jumping Frog

Postby Jumping Frog » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:57 pm

I use the trick that was shown in one of the videos. I took an ordinary piece of telephone wire and cut off a 6" piece. If I am trying to use up the last 8 primers in a batch, I simply take of the primer tray and push the telephone wire down the channel to push the stack down. I push down in between each round. When the cases reach station 3 with an empty primer hole, I am done.

Ping Ping

Postby Ping Ping » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:19 am

daboone wrote:If you haven't try taking that trough apart and examine it for mold marks/burrs.
+1
My first trough was burred and while it fed all the primers, it flipped about 1/3 of them.

Also check the primer slider and indexer for smooth function. I put a little graphite powder on the indexer spindle and it helped noticably.

Im not sure if small primers are to blame, or brand, but my Fed 150's feed to the last one.

JohnMcD348

Postby JohnMcD348 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:03 pm

I do that same thing. Use a small piece of wire that will fit down the trough and push the last couple-three primers down.

salbanal

Postby salbanal » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:31 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'll try some of the graphite and if that doesn't work, then I'll use the wire trick.

Jumping Frog

Postby Jumping Frog » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:56 pm

salbanal wrote:then I'll use the wire trick.

Just make sure it is coated wire, not bare wire. That is why I use telephone cord, because the outer plastic sleeve will not scratch the primer chute.

Colin

Postby Colin » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:04 am

When I see the last small primer disappear from the lower slot, I count off 5 bullets loaded, then I check every case before it goes up for a powder charge, I also tap the primer feeder on every stroke.

Return to “Load Master forum”