Memoirs with the Lee Load-Master - Long term review.

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

How was this write-up?

Helpful
96%
Not helpful
4%

Total votes: 28

Old 454

Postby Old 454 » Tue May 15, 2012 7:51 pm

Hi every one I am new to the Loadmaster forum, and I must say that was on heck of a write up by Burningsquirrels.

When I first bought my Loadmaster and ran accrss all the issues when setting it up, mainly indexing problems, I really was wondering if I made the right choice.

I brook a few priming arms due to my fault not seting them right. I have had two dies that came from Lee that were trouble some one was a 38/357 die that was under sized could not put any bell in the case mouth or it would be crushed and a Lee universal decapping die that the collet was totaly trashed and the decapping pin was darn near touching the side of the die.

But after a few phone calls to Denise at Titan reloading I got the indexing jams to a minimum, my biggest pet peeve with the Loadmaster is the priming system.

I was getting no primer in about 1 in 10 loaded rounds with either large or small primer system.

After reading about some fixes on these forums I have got it down to about 1 in 50.

I just loaded 300 .40 S&W rounds the other day and had 6 with out any primers. I really wish Lee would totally revamp there priming system, I for one don't think I should have to mod. the system because of poor manufacture defects or poor design.

I don't shoot any compitition matchs so I can get away with out using the case and bullet feeder, all though I have them both, my son and I can load about 250 rounds in an hour if I dont have to keep pulling apart the priming system and cleaning it to make it work right.

I lube the ram with STP oil treatment and that really has helped smooth out the stroke, and I also but an ever so light a coating of STP on the indexing rod and the press frame where the flipper meets the frame. this has helped with the indexing problems all though I will still on occasion get a indexing jam.

Still all in all I think the Loadmaster bought for 218.00 is a very good deal.

But I will say this a really great forum with just a cornucopia of great information, and a ton of helpfull people on here.

so in advance thank you all for all the info

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:53 pm

My 2 cents worth:
I think the Load-Master is a real bargain. Guess it's not perfect, but what is.

Mine is a real pleasure to run, and makes quality ammo. Priming problems, yes, but what press doesn't have that problem on some occasions. I started hand priming out of frustration one day. Found now that I prefer hand priming. But that's just me. From what I read one of the members here called MagicMike has pretty much solved the priming problems for people for a reasonable price.

So if your reading this, thinking about buying one, do it. Follow the advice on this forum and you will be making quality ammo in a short while.

carload9

mod/spring

Postby carload9 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:20 pm

This is so great. Change disk without taking hopper off press.

Stick a (above) whole box of 45acp in there. Press below is 380acp:

gnslngr

What's Different Between The 2 Pics?

Postby gnslngr » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:29 pm

Someone appears to have not only changed the disk, but the return spring as well.
The top pic has a shiny new spring, and the bottom one is rusted to beat the band.
Me thinks these pics were taken at 2 completely different times/days.

carload9

twins

Postby carload9 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:49 pm

twins, as in one loadmaster settin by other'in!

That top one came off ebay TTD (to the door) for $262.00 w/4die set of 44magnum. Guy must a got frustrated. Like new i broke it down, sent carrier and both troughs to magicmike and bout his delux kit. Oh man is it nice now that iam done with hit.

Other press is my first one and I sent it to magic mike also. You are lookin at a set of matched loadmaster twin's.

Did i say i have twin magma star sizers I have collected! Steve Rowe helped out.

You gotta put forth the effort to collect parts you need, ebay is a good place to start & estate sales.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:05 pm

Nice looking setup CL.

I had to look harder this time to find it, but I see you have advanced from a claw fine tuning hammer to a ball peen fine tuning hammer.

Keep up the good work.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:12 am

Do you know what I like best about this setup. Those bins for catching finished rounds!

gnslngr

Postby gnslngr » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:13 am

I have to agree, a very nice setup indeed.

Return to “Load Master forum”