What is the real deal w/ the Lee Loadmaster ?

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

Elmar66

Postby Elmar66 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:22 pm

I can't find those people either!!!

WyrTwister

Re: Lee Load Master

Postby WyrTwister » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:37 am

RGMJ wrote:Thanks for the repy guys...

I'm still going through my decision. Seems stepping up to a full progressive might be too much for an Accountant.

However, I found the reviews on the Lee Classic Turret to be good. I'm beginning to like the idea of auto-index on the Lee after thousands of rounds manually cycling my old turret press.

What do you think? I'll keep the RCBS for my .308 and 45-70 rifle cases and load 38 super, 44 mag and 45ACP on the Lee turret.

Thanks for any adivse....

I love the Lee cast iron turret press , greatest value going , that I have used , so far . Unless some one gives you a press .

But , I came down with a case of the want-to's . Do not really need the production volume of a progressive , but ...................

So my wife is getting me a LM for Fathers Day . :-)

Tracking # indicates it will arrive Wednesday PM .

I too have read a lot of stuff on the internet , pro & con , about Lee progressives . Kind of scary and confusing ?

Would not attempt it with out all the online videos & forums . ( Thanks guys ! )

May be pride speaking , but I think / hope I have enough mechanical ability to get it to work OK ?

Will try to pass along a review , shortly .

God bless
Wyr

WyrTwister

Re: Lee Turret

Postby WyrTwister » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:45 am

RGMJ wrote:Thanks guys,

After some thought, I'm leaning towards the Lee Classic Turret Press. I saw some product reviews of it at MidwayUSA saying it loads rifle also well. So I might not need my RCBS afterall.

Also, 80% of my reloading dies and tools are Lee so I guess I won't have much problem.

Questions :

1. Is it worth getting the Lee Safety Prime gadgets ? I would purchase it with the press if its ok. I've seen videos in You tube using this. Seems very convenient. Any CONS?

2. Just wanted to make sure - can the Lee TP load 45-70 Gov't and 308 Win in auto index mode? This is important to me as I wanted to increase my throughput over my RCBS turret.

Thank you again!!

1 Yes , just have a little patience adjusting the sizing die up & down untill the ram height ends up correct so the safety prime smoothly " hands " the primer to the lever prime .

2 Yes , I have loaded .30-06 & .45-70 . The bottle neck calibers will always require more brass press than the straight wall calibers . No matter what kind of press you are using .

The turret press really shines with carbide dies & hand gun calibers .

I expect the same is true with progressives ? My LM is scheduled for delivery Wednesday PM .

God bless
Wyr

TPGS

Postby TPGS » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:17 pm

WyrTwister wrote:

After some thought, I'm leaning towards the Lee Classic Turret Press. I saw some product reviews of it at MidwayUSA saying it loads rifle also well. So I might not need my RCBS afterall.

Also, 80% of my reloading dies and tools are Lee so I guess I won't have much problem.

Questions :

1. Is it worth getting the Lee Safety Prime gadgets ? I would purchase it with the press if its ok. I've seen videos in You tube using this. Seems very convenient. Any CONS?

2. Just wanted to make sure - can the Lee TP load 45-70 Gov't and 308 Win in auto index mode? This is important to me as I wanted to increase my throughput over my RCBS turret.

Thank you again!!

1 Yes , just have a little patience adjusting the sizing die up & down untill the ram height ends up correct so the safety prime smoothly " hands " the primer to the lever prime .

2 Yes , I have loaded .30-06 & .45-70 . The bottle neck calibers will always require more brass press than the straight wall calibers . No matter what kind of press you are using .

I expect the same is true with progressives ? My LM is scheduled for delivery Wednesday PM .

God bless
Wyr

You should have it by now...what do you think?

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:39 am

TPGS wrote:
WyrTwister wrote:

Questions :

Thank you again!!

God bless
Wyr

You should have it by now...what do you think?

Got it temporarily mounted and adjusted .

Needed 3 bolts 1/4" x 5" plus a 1/4 x 2" carriage bolt to put a 2 x 10 under it . Will pick that up today & barring interruptions , permanently mount it tonite .

Main thing I an having trouble is with the case feeder & .38 Special brass tipping .

See my question at ;

http://forums.loadmastervideos.com/foru ... php?t=1274

Thanks ,
Wyr

God bless

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:48 pm

I'm running 38 spl right now and not having any problem. I've probably loaded 600 rds this week, no problem. Make sure you have the case feeder set so the brass just has clearance to come out of the tube. Should work just fine. Also you have to develop a LM stroke as you load to make everything work smooth.

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:51 pm

myloadm61 wrote:I'm running 38 spl right now and not having any problem. I've probably loaded 600 rds this week, no problem. Make sure you have the case feeder set so the brass just has clearance to come out of the tube. Should work just fine. Also you have to develop a LM stroke as you load to make everything work smooth.

I will try adjusting the vertical clearance some more .

Thanks ,
Wyr
God bless

jekemi

Lee Classic Turret press

Postby jekemi » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:43 pm

I use the Lee Classic Turret pres and have for a couple of years now. It is the best turret press on the market considering what you get. There are some great modifications people have done to it to make it even better. Although I'm switching over to the Loadmaster I will still use the turret press for most rifle loads. I load 7.62 x 54 and .270 with no problem. I stack 3 of the disks and get a proper powder charge. It works fine. Ball powders meter much better than flake powders. The safety prime works well and just needed a bit of adjustment. 308 should not be a problem.

rekarstien

New to Lee Loadmaster

Postby rekarstien » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:55 pm

With the price of ammo going sky high it was time to get into reloading so I ordered a Lee Loadmaster which is sitting on my door step as I type this. I mainly chose the Lee Loadmaster because of 2 things sure one was the price but I had watched watched many youtube videos over the past 3 week on the Dillion, hornady and the Lee and when the press was adjusted correctly the lee seemed to be just as smooth as any of them $500 and $600 presses. I'm sure there is a learning curve there but what does not have a learning curve and Im sure over the next couple of weeks and maybe month I may be asking for help on problems and issues so I hope you will all be patent with me as I am to my new Loadmaster.

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:53 pm

rowe_s wrote:What Nate said. Plus they brag about warranties for a life time. If their preferred brand is so good why do they need a warranty?

I'd be a tad embarrassed if I were you. Hopefully your last question was rhetorical.

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:04 pm

If I may; Do yourself a favor and start looking at Magic Mike's Reloading tips and study how he achieves the stellar results with the LLM. He can get your LLM tuned and humming like the best of the best.
I have a Dillon 650 with a Case feeder and all the bells and whistles; and I have two LLM's that together with tooling from MM(his turret mods) have invested around $150, total. Got to tell you, I hardly use the Dillon anymore. It's just to dad burned easy to fire up one of the LLM's and get done what I need without converting and using the Dillon. I'm not bashing the Dillon, it's a fantastic machine and anyone here that says it isn't is spewing "sour grapes".
But now with the help of MM and his mods there's not any reason to use the Dillon. So, enjoy your LLM and when you run into a snag, and you will, get a hold of Mike and order his mods, you won't regret it at all.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:08 pm

Sparky45 wrote:
rowe_s wrote:What Nate said. Plus they brag about warranties for a life time. If their preferred brand is so good why do they need a warranty?

I'd be a tad embarrassed if I were you. Hopefully your last question was rhetorical.

I don't understand why a remark / post from... "Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:53 pm" was dredged up.

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:30 pm

I didn't "dredge it up" I just commented on it.
Sorry Steve, missed the emoticons. :D

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:03 am

Quite some time has passed . And thousands of rounds have been loaded .

The tipping problem with .38 Special ? The press was shipped with the " short " case slider . Needs the " tall " case slider for .38 Special . Lee shipped one free .

First thing , if something does not sound or " feel " right , stop then and there and find out what is wrong & correct it .

Brass MUST BE SORTED 100% .

After you tumble the brass , look for smaller cases nested ( stuck ) inside larger cases ) . Look for crimped / military primer pockets . Look for a mix of large and smaller primers in .45 ACP brass . Look for Berdan primed cases . Look for corroded range brass that has the primers stuck in the case .

Make sure none of these conditions have pushed the de-priming rod up in the die ( I use a universal de-priming die in station # 1 ) .

And do not dumb up and run out of primers and / or powder .

God bless
Wyr

john_bud

Postby john_bud » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:23 am

WyrTwister wrote:Quite some time has passed . And thousands of rounds have been loaded .

The tipping problem with .38 Special ? The press was shipped with the " short " case slider . Needs the " tall " case slider for .38 Special . Lee shipped one free .

First thing , if something does not sound or " feel " right , stop then and there and find out what is wrong & correct it .

Brass MUST BE SORTED 100% .

After you tumble the brass , look for smaller cases nested ( stuck ) inside larger cases ) .
Look for crimped / military primer pockets . Look for a mix of large and smaller primers in .45 ACP brass . Look for Berdan primed cases . Look for corroded range brass that has the primers stuck in the case .

Make sure none of these conditions have pushed the de-priming rod up in the die ( I use a universal de-priming die in station # 1 ) .

And do not dumb up and run out of primers and / or powder .

God bless
Wyr

I've had 2 instances of 9mm case inside of a 40, they get stuck in the case feeder. Duh! Pita too.

I used to use a universal in deprime, but the feeder infrequently mispositions the fed case enough to bend the deprime pin. Now, I have a 30-06 deprime in station1 as it is just larger than the .40 case. Since that change, no bent pins.

Return to “Load Master forum”