What is the real deal w/ the Lee Loadmaster ?

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

RGMJ

What is the real deal w/ the Lee Loadmaster ?

Postby RGMJ » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:11 am

Hi. I'm a newbie for progressives and I plan to get one in 38 super. I have been loading on a RCBS Turret Press for the last 5 years.

I'm not so mechanically inclined so I wanted something that works great out-of-the-box. I made some reseach, and man.. you ought to see product reviews in MidwayUSA about the Loadmaster. 80% of them are either angry or very, very angry. Most claim it to be a junk, lemon, garbage,worthless, refuse; what ever, short of writing invectives!!

On the other hand, other users say they love the machine and works so well.

Are these negative feedbacks realistic? Should I buy the Loadmaster? The negative buzz scares me. What progressive press would you suggest that won't need too much tinkering?

Any opinion will be highly appreciated.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:21 am

I don't think there is a progressive press of any manufacture on the face of the earth that doesn't require tinkering to make it run right.

Jumping Frog

Postby Jumping Frog » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:58 pm

It is your first post, so WELCOME!

Well, there are definite Lee bashers out there, and we will never change their mind. I also think that people tried the Loadmaster years ago before there were so many videos out there on the internet and all kinds of reloading forums to offer advice and support. I think all of us would agree that the Loadmaster instructions aren't exactly going to win any Pulitzer prizes, so if you lived in the middle of nowhere without any other Loadmaster owners to talk with, then you could get frustrated and get a sour attitude that persists forever.

Before I purchased the Loadmaster, I viewed all the videos on this site and decided this was something I could do. The low price was also a big driver in that if I purchased a kit and didn't like it, I could resell it and only lose $30-40. Not much of a financial risk.

I bought mine two years ago next month. I've never been disappointed and never looked back. When I encounter people crowing about Dillon's lifetime warranty, I remind them that if my press broke tomorrow, I could replace it 4 times before I spent what it would cost me to buy a Dillon.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:34 pm

Welcome aboard.

I read the reviews for a few calibers, .45 ACP seemed to have a lot of them, so that was the one I paid the most attention to. Many people loved them and many people hated them.

Some of the complaints, like jerky movement, powder spillage, etc tells me that the presses weren't lubricated properly, if at all. I think most of the negative reviews are from people that didn't know how to set it up properly or just didn't bother to.

I also don't believe in setting up the case feeder or case inserter right away - that constant feed of cases every pull really increases the stress level when you are just getting started.

The worst thing about the LM is the instructions. When I decided to write my own I downloaded the instructions that come with Dillon presses. They are VERY detailed and walk you through every step of the setup.

With the LM, the instructions are so useless that most people just bolt it to the bench and start loading. Their success or failure then depends on how accurately it was set up at the factory and I don't think they can be set up properly at the factory. For instance, how can they know the overall length you will need in order to set the bullet seating depth?

My instructions go through every step, some of which you won't even need to worry about, like the primer pin.

Having said all of that, there have been times when I have been frustrated with my LM.

You will have to decide for yourself how much you want to invest in a press and balance that with other factors. We obviously like LMs or we wouldn't be here. If you go to Glock Talk, they love Dillons and think LMs are crap.

I'm going to move this thread to the Load Master forum. Don't take offense to it. I just started this forum and want to keep it very focused to make it easier for new members to find answers to specific problems.

Here is my unofficial setup instructions

http://loadmastervideos.com/LMmanual.pdf

And the one with videos

http://manual.loadmastervideos.com/

RGMJ

Lee Load Master

Postby RGMJ » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:09 pm

Thanks for the repy guys...

I'm still going through my decision. Seems stepping up to a full progressive might be too much for an Accountant.

However, I found the reviews on the Lee Classic Turret to be good. I'm beginning to like the idea of auto-index on the Lee after thousands of rounds manually cycling my old turret press.

What do you think? I'll keep the RCBS for my .308 and 45-70 rifle cases and load 38 super, 44 mag and 45ACP on the Lee turret.

Thanks for any adivse....

prs

Postby prs » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:33 pm

RGMJ said: "I'm not so mechanically inclined so.........."

Harry Calahan said: "A man has t' know his limitations."

Any progressive reloader needs some mechanical appitude. Just like running one of your spread sheets takes some computer apptitude. The LoadMaster needs more attention than some of the others. Once you understand how the various components of the LM interact, you can stay ahead of the problems. I certainly agree that Lee whould have been light years ahead if he had hired a professional to write the set-up and use instructions. When I read those reports at Midway I get the image of folks who purchased this press and used "C" clamps to fasten it to a card table and just started cranking away. It was a sure fire failure if they did.

Now, you can use this progressive just like a turret if you want and if you do, its gonna be the easiest turret to use you could imagine. Then, once you get the feel of it and thngs are going well, you can put a few more shells on the plate and see what happends. Once you are Zen with the LIM, you can let 'er rip and wonder why all the negative posts were made.

prs

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:13 am

The Classic Turret is a good press - 4 pulls per round and the priming is definitely different. You manually press the priming arm into position.

Like prs says, you could set up LM without the case feeder or case inserter and feed one through at a time. That would basically be like a turret press with automatic priming. You can run it like that forever, but let's be honest. That ain't gonna happen. Eventually you will get tired of pulling that handle more than once per round.

Once you get used to the operation, you can place a case in every 3rd pull, then every other. You get the idea.

If your needs are modest, then a turret press is a very cheap way to reload. The more you reload, then every person has a tipping point where the money spent outweighs the time spent reloading.

:D :D

RGMJ

Lee Turret

Postby RGMJ » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:19 am

Thanks guys,

After some thought, I'm leaning towards the Lee Classic Turret Press. I saw some product reviews of it at MidwayUSA saying it loads rifle also well. So I might not need my RCBS afterall.

Also, 80% of my reloading dies and tools are Lee so I guess I won't have much problem.

Questions :

1. Is it worth getting the Lee Safety Prime gadgets ? I would purchase it with the press if its ok. I've seen videos in You tube using this. Seems very convenient. Any CONS?

2. Just wanted to make sure - can the Lee TP load 45-70 Gov't and 308 Win in auto index mode? This is important to me as I wanted to increase my throughput over my RCBS turret.

Thank you again!!

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:07 am

1. Yes it is. You'll also need the riser for the powder measure to raise it up higher.

2. Don't know.

daboone

Re: Lee Turret

Postby daboone » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:22 am

RGMJ wrote:Questions : 1. Is it worth getting the Lee Safety Prime

2. Just wanted to make sure - can the Lee TP load 45-70 Gov't and 308 Win in auto index mode? This is important to me as I wanted to increase my throughput over my RCBS turret. Thank you again!!

The Safety prime works fine and I do use it, much simpler and faster than handling primers one at a time.

Yes it's great for the 45/70, don't load 308 but I do 4 other bottle necks. However I seldom use the auto index. Because of other step necessary to reload these cases, sizing, trimming, belling.

RGMJ

Lee Classic Turret

Postby RGMJ » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:53 pm

Thanks guys,

I finally ordered the Lee Classic Turret press from Midway. I'll get it probably early next week. I also got the Lee Safety Prime gadgets, disk riser and 3 extra turret toolheads. I will load pistol cases first to get a feel of the press.

I'll post some feedback later how it performs.

Thanks again!!! - Great Forum!!

Citywaterman

Good choice

Postby Citywaterman » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:20 am

I have the Classic turret press and the LM. I love them both. I started with the turret press, then upgraded to the Load Master. You will be happy with your new turret press.
Citywaterman

Nate1778

Re: What is the real deal w/ the Lee Loadmaster ?

Postby Nate1778 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:15 pm

RGMJ wrote:80% of them are either angry or very, very angry. Most claim it to be a junk, lemon, garbage,worthless, refuse; what ever, short of writing invectives!!

and yet I can't find one for below cost. One would think people would be giving them away. I have posted on several forums looking for "unwanted" Loadmaster and not one guy with a "You can have my piece o $^%#", not one.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:53 pm

What Nate said. Plus they brag about warranties for a life time. If their preferred brand is so good why do they need a warranty?

prs

Re: What is the real deal w/ the Lee Loadmaster ?

Postby prs » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:40 pm

Nate1778 wrote:
RGMJ wrote:80% of them are either angry or very, very angry. Most claim it to be a junk, lemon, garbage,worthless, refuse; what ever, short of writing invectives!!

and yet I can't find one for below cost. One would think people would be giving them away. I have posted on several forums looking for "unwanted" Loadmaster and not one guy with a "You can have my piece o $^%#", not one.

That's how I got mine!

prs

Return to “Load Master forum”