How much pressure is required to pull the Load Master handle

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

jwc

How much pressure is required to pull the Load Master handle

Postby jwc » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:40 am

The case sizing/decapping die shipped with my new Load Master was defective so I sent it back to be replaced. It was too tight and left striations on the top portion of the case. I hope the new Lee die I receive will make it easier to use.

I had a Lee Classic Turret Press and none of the reloading steps took much pressure on the handle to complete. I understand many more steps are completed with one pull of the handle on a progressive press like the Load Master, so it may take more pressure to pull the handle down completely.

I installed an RCBS sizing/decapping die today and loaded several rounds with it in place, but it took more pressure than I expected to pull the handle down.

None of the videos I watched on this site show the user pushing the handle down as hard as I needed to with the RCBS or Lee sizing/decapping dies in place.

My press is mounted firmly and lubricated properly. Running all the steps except for sizing and decapping with the Lee or RCBS sizing/decapping dies does not require excessive pressure on the handle.

I have read that some Load Master users do not set their press up the way Lee suggests. For example some users decap their brass and/or prime it before running it through the Load Master. Is this because completing all reloading steps simultaneously requires so much pressure on the handle?

I am going to lube some cases and try reloading with the RCBS sizing/decapping die again to see if that reduces the amount of pressure required to push the handle down all the way.

Does anyone here have any other suggestions or advice concerning this problem?

helg

Postby helg » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:08 am

I have loose chamber in one of my 9mms. Also, the bore slugs to .357" instead of the standard .355" for the caliber.

It was not a surprise that brass, which was fired from this gun, was way oversized, and needed significant effort to be sized back to standard. Also, standard .356" cast bullets were leading.

Now I size my cast bullets to .358" and do not screw sizing die down to shellplate contact. Neck diameter after crimping is also set slightly over standard. The oversized rounds, however, perfectly fit the chamber, show no leading and excellent accuracy. Sizing does not require any significant force. The loaded rounds are for that gun, and do not even chamber in most 9mms.

I would recommend to check: may be your gun also has loose chamber. If so, adjusting the sizing die may help.

Jumping Frog

Postby Jumping Frog » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:49 pm

Mine doesn't take that much pressure. Maybe 10 lbs. It is easy enough that I can load 1,000 rounds without my arm being tired, and I am not in very good shape.

Call Lee on the phone and talk with support.

prs

Postby prs » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:26 pm

jwc;

Carbide dies or not, USE the case lube. Its easy to use in one of several ways. I spritz Lee case lube onto my cases as they hang in an orange sack (similar to an onion sack). Or, sometones when I rinse my brass after washing it, I drip a drop or two of the Lee lube and then just toss them around a bit. When they dry, they size and work with great ease and less work hardening stress of the brass. I wet tumble my brass, but if you use dry media, you can still spritz it after all the media and dust is removed. However, leaving media dust on your cases and then sizding them is gonna more than double your troubles

I have experienced a Lee carbide sizing die leaving striations on by cases before. Initially, I thought the die was scratched or had a burs in it, but close examination with magnification revealed the carbide ring had brass from the shells burnished onto it. It was difficult to remove, but once cleaned with a dental pick it worked fine and I returned to using the case lube. I feel it is important to use case lube on a progressive press.

prs

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:50 pm

I tried case lube with carbide die for curiosity, it did size easier. But I don't bother with the extra step of lubing. That is the reason I got carbide dies, so I don't have to lube.

My 40 S&W die had over 50,000 rounds through it and I have never had any trouble. I just take them from the corn cob media straight to the press, they might have a little dust on them but it hasn’t caused me any trouble.

I load a lot of just range brass and do have an occasional case that goes in hard. I always thought it was just a large camber size caused it.

Citywaterman

Not much effort

Postby Citywaterman » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:54 pm

I'm still new to the LM, but I haven't had any problems with excessive pressure to pull the handle. I'm used to my turret press which it very easy to pull the handle. With the LM, I expected more pressure as there's much more happening at once. I don't use case lube either. That's an extra step that I don't feel is necessary with carbide dies. Citywaterman

The Turd

Hard to push handle down

Postby The Turd » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:16 am

Have you tried to remove the dies one at a time to see which one is causing the problem? I had a problem much like you have and it was caused by the expander die inside of the powder charging die. When I looked at it it had brass sticking to it which I had to remove. After wards I did not have the problem. There was also machining marks on the die I removed them with 600grit wet dry paper. I have loaded many thousands of rounds and the problem has not returned.

Archie

jwc

Postby jwc » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:25 am

Thanks for the advice guys. I will follow your tips with the new die once I receive it and let you know how it turns out.

daboone

Re: How much pressure is required to pull the Load Master ha

Postby daboone » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:40 am

jwc wrote:I had a Lee Classic Turret Press and none of the reloading steps took much pressure on the handle to complete. I understand many more steps are completed with one pull of the handle on a progressive press like the Load Master, so it may take more pressure to pull the handle down completely.

I'm jumping in late here but did you try the dies from the turret in the LM?

jwc

Re: How much pressure is required to pull the Load Master ha

Postby jwc » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:59 am

daboone wrote:
I'm jumping in late here but did you try the dies from the turret in the LM?

No, I sold it with the dies. I retrospect, I probably should have kept the Turret Press for backup and odd jobs.

Nate1778

Postby Nate1778 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:22 pm

It depends really, I do a lot of .38 and 9mm on mine. The .38 is a pleasure to use over the 9mm. I find the 9mm resizing is night and day, takes a lot more pressure.

jwc

Postby jwc » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:17 am

The new sizing/decapping die arrived and it works much better, especially when I lube the cases.

The Load Master still takes a fair amont of pressure to pull the handle down completely with 9mm cases, but not as much as it took initially.

bfox

Postby bfox » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:20 pm

Just curious , is it that hard from the first piece of brass put in ?
If you do it one at a time do you notice any dies are harder than others ?
I'd almost bet when the shell plate is fully loaded the FCD is giving you
resistance .

jwc

Postby jwc » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:22 pm

bfox wrote:Just curious , is it that hard from the first piece of brass put in ?
If you do it one at a time do you notice any dies are harder than others ?
I'd almost bet when the shell plate is fully loaded the FCD is giving you
resistance .

The sizing/decapping die gives the most resistance, but it is not too bad by itself with cases lubed.

None of the other stations give much resistance at all, but when you add those three with the sizing/decapping die it is more than I would like.

You are right about the shell plate being fully loaded, but I don't think the Factory Crimp Die is the culprit. When my case feeder is empty and I cycle the press with the last four cases it does not take much pressure to complete them.

Everything else on the press is working as intended. Maybe I need to adjust the sizing die. I set it to factory specs, but that may be too tight.

bfox

Postby bfox » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:05 pm

Is your brass brand new ?
That will make it tougher .

Return to “Load Master forum”