WHEN TO USE THE LARGE OR SMALL PRIMER FEEDER?

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

Sparky45

WHEN TO USE THE LARGE OR SMALL PRIMER FEEDER?

Postby Sparky45 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:24 pm

O.K. I just got my LM setup(ordered with 9mm setup) and loaded some ammo. I bought extra shellplates to load .380, 45ACP, and 45LC. My question is this: Do you have to change out the primer feeder and parts to switch from small pistol to large pistol primers??? I only have the small primer feeder.

prs

Postby prs » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:38 pm

Yes, it is necessary to have the correct feeder for the size you are using.

prs

helg

Postby helg » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:40 pm

45ACP/45LC use large primer. You need large primer feeder for the Loadmaster to load these. Here is one link to the feeder

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=675908

Sure you need die set for each of the new calibers.

Also, if you plan to use case feeder for the 45s, you need large pistol case feeder for the LM

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?p ... ber=300548

.380 shares primer feeder and case feeder with the 9mm.
Last edited by helg on Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:02 pm

And you will probably want a turret for each caliber, so you won't have to change and adjust the dies when you change calibers. You can change calibers very quickly when you do this.

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:15 am

I have every thing in terms of dies, turrets ect, just no large primer feeder. Thanks for the information, I couldn't seem to find the info on Lee Precision's website. You know, they(Lee Precision) could save their customers alot of trouble if they hired a online guru to answer questions; write reloading information about Lee Loaders and be a troubleshooter for Lee. Other than cost, I can't figure it out. One little statement included with the online information about the LM concerning large primer/small primer equipment requirements and I would already have everything I need to load multiple calibers. Don't get me wrong, I love the press, but it sure would have been nice to have bought ALL the components at one time.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:51 am

When I did my instructions, I wrote back and forth to John Lee, president of Lee Precision. He was very supportive, but he had a lot of things that he said he intended to do, but never did. One of these involved their web site. I was hoping that they would do their own instructions over, because I feel that they are a large reason why many people have bad experiences with new Load Masters.

Oh well. I guess he knows what he's doing.....

They ARE very good with support if you call them, though.

bfox

Postby bfox » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:58 pm

bfox

Postby bfox » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:02 pm

LM3247A

LM3247B

LM3249

LM3252

TR2449B

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:15 pm

Thanks for the info bfox; however, I placed a order with midwayusa this morning and the parts are already on there way.

helg

Postby helg » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:39 pm

OOps. I have noticed that my link above was for LM SMALL primer feeder, not the LARGE one. which is needed for the 45th. I apologize for the confusion. I have corrected the above link.

Mea culpa.

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:19 pm

I realize you already have the answer, small feeder for small primers, large feeder for large primers, I'm curious to the fact you're reloading ammunition on a progressive press and have to ask this question..don't mean to be out of line here, but there are already a lot of good "how to books" on reloading out there, including a couple from Richard Lee that are pretty much dedicated to Lee equipment. Enjoy your new press, be safe, it's a good hobby.

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:18 pm

Horseman; I asked the question because LEE didn't provide the necessary information when I bought the press. LEE doesn't state that if you load small and large on your progressive press you need to buy the EXTRAS so you won't have to reorder and reorder and reorder - even you aught to get my point. :twisted:

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Sat May 01, 2010 12:55 pm

Yes, even I understand your point. Maybe you didn't understand mine. :wink:

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Sat May 01, 2010 8:28 pm

Got your's loud and clear pal; I'm not exactly a moron. The issue wasn't one of KNOWING which to use, the issue was that LEE doesn't include BOTH with their LM Press. I assumed BOTH were included. LEE either doesn't think that one would load with lg and sm primers on the same press or they are short sighted OR they want a person to order multiple times. I don't actually know what they are thinking. Probably the same person at LEE handles their PR and writes the LM Manual.
AND bye the way, you were out of line.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Sat May 01, 2010 8:39 pm

Lee usually sells the press for a particular caliber, so they only include priming parts for that caliber. If they did otherwise it would raise their prices and people that only wanted to load one caliber would be complaining,or worse, might use the wrong parts for the caliber.

I agree that it would be nice if the clearly spelled out what you needed to load with the other size primers, but let's face it, Lee isn't exactly well known for it's clear instructions.

If you had called Lee and asked them, they would have been very helpful telling you exactly what you need, but it wouldn't necessarily be clear to someone that they need to call, because of the lack of instructions.

Someone here suggested that Lee sell a kit with all of the priming parts in it, but others thought that this would be costly and people would be buying parts they don't need.

In any case, that's what we're here for - to help people with their presses.

Return to “Load Master forum”