Mod for powder return chain??

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

Mike-Mat

Postby Mike-Mat » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:48 pm

These are actually pretty cheap. It even comes with a spring.

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-Digit-Num-Hand-Ta ... 43a07228f1

Not a pull chain type, but could probably be triggered then the Leaver/Arm returns to position. Or under the shell plate.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Red-Plastic-Hand-Ta ... 3caf744c77

And it's Red

Mike :lol:

Concealed_45

Postby Concealed_45 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:28 pm

I realize this is an old thread, but just wanted to add my mod/chain replacement for future people looking.

I used a piece of 1/8" braazing rod, a grounding wire lug for the adjustable stop, and some sheet metal I cut bent welded and drilled into a sturdy extension (probably overkill)

I had everything im my garage so it was free, and took about half an hour.

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:50 pm

Very clean setup, well done....but for future people looking, this and most other "mods" replacing the chain return, while most are very well done, most if not all defeat the design purpose of the chain/spring return for the powder measure in the first place.... which is safety.....using the chain return there is no way you can double charge a case if you short stroke the press....

Concealed_45

Postby Concealed_45 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:05 pm

This setup also accomplishes the same ass the chain setup, only more reliably. I chose it over the spring return setup for that reason. I just got this press and not used to it yet, so I wanted to keep the chance of error to a minimum.

carload9

c45

Postby carload9 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:14 pm

if you look in your case you want overcharge or under. I got that crap out of my way.

Heres is the best loadmaster, a LLM decapping machine. Dont know who was first to think of it,, prob john lee. S Rowe helped me remember and set it up. It does all my pistol (i shoot pistol only). A gallon pretty quick plus mouth straightened out (slight pre-expansion), counted, found splits, find bad base rims, & each piece of brass has been thru loadmaster before washing and bb'ing. So they go thru LLM really smooth second time when you start to load in any machine. l like prepping brass, hav to, l pick up alot of range brass.

case feed
pre-expander
dillon counter
uni-expander
uni-decapper
down into a darwin bucket

Heres the spring set-up:

yea, this is a old thread

Golfguy7

Postby Golfguy7 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:42 pm

Nice mod Mike -mat, I posted the same mod back in Oct 2013 still working great for me!!

AKshooter

Re: I changed Thumb screw

Postby AKshooter » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:28 pm

vdsgw wrote:I took out the large thumb screw and replaced it with a 5/16" allen head set screw. Worked great the chain does not rub anything now.

Did exactly the same thing a couple of months ago, never comes loose during operation.

Derwoodski

Eliminating the Chain

Postby Derwoodski » Wed May 13, 2015 3:52 pm

I have converted all my Pro Auto Disc powder measures to spring return... these two parts from Lee will do the trick. learned to hate the chain with the Pro1000.

Spring: AD2296
Lever: AD2309

Cost: $2:50 the shipping will be more than the parts but it all in all it's less than $7

GhostlyOne

Re: Mod for powder return chain??

Postby GhostlyOne » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:21 pm

I dumped the disc powder measure and went to the newer drum system. No chain "required", powder drops are accurate and consistent. Note: there is an option with this system that eliminates all chains.

Squibs: I avoid squibs and double charges by measuring ALL finished loads during the final inspection. Haven't had either since I went to the drum measure system. JMHO.

Return to “Load Master forum”