Mod for powder return chain??

Questions and discussions and troubleshooting Lee Load Master presses

Moderator: darwin

vdsgw

Mod for powder return chain??

Postby vdsgw » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:40 am

The powder return chain rubs on the large thunb screw that secures
the aluminum die plate. It not only loosens the thumbnut but moves
the powder hopper back and forth side to side loosening the hopper nuts.
Has anyone made a flush screw that tightens with an allen wrench or made an extenstion for the chain mount at the bottom? thanks

Jumping Frog

Postby Jumping Frog » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:44 pm

I swivel my powder measure at the base, and then tighten down that little black lockdown ring, so that the chain doesn't rub against the turret retaining screw.

Works for me.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:51 pm

I looked at mine. I have my chain feeding into the upper lever from the rear - it rubs the bolt a bit, but it doesn't look bad to me.

I took the bolt out and the end is machined to a smaller diameter and is rounded off at the end, so it looks like it would be hard to replace it with a different type of bolt.

Shadowdog did a mod where he replaced the chain with a rod -

http://loadmastervideos.com/33CHAIN2ROD.WMV

Mike-Mat

Postby Mike-Mat » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:20 pm

I just turned my powder measure slightly and it's not very close to the knob at all. I also broke my chain and came up with this for a replacement.

http://www.mmattera.com/bin/bench/LeeLo ... nLight.jpg

Mike Mattera

Citywaterman

Postby Citywaterman » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:32 pm

Mike, what a clever idea. With all these great ideas, we all have many options to choose from. Thanks for posting the photo.

Citywaterman

Mike-Mat

Postby Mike-Mat » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:46 pm

In the middle of reloading, my chain broke. I looked over my bench and saw a spring that I bought at a surplus store (Who knows why and it's been sitting there for 10 months), and a leftover chain from a florescent light I just put up. Snip, Snip, and there you have it. The mother of invention.

It's much more secure, stronger and easy to take off. Much easier than that cheap chain and I don't loose my adjustment.

Mike Mattera

daboone

Postby daboone » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:35 pm

I'll stick with the chain not that Mike's is a bad idea but it wouldn't help out my rounds counter. The photo below is from another thread from awhile back and is Darwin's photo of his setup. I think BFOX was the originator of this setup. I only point this out if ya decide to go down this path.

http://forums.loadmastervideos.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=311&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=counter&start=30

vdsgw

I changed Thumb screw

Postby vdsgw » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:00 am

I took out the large thumb screw and replaced it with a 5/16" allen head set screw. Worked great the chain does not rub anything now.

zuke

Re: I changed Thumb screw

Postby zuke » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:10 am

vdsgw wrote:I took out the large thumb screw and replaced it with a 5/16" allen head set screw. Worked great the chain does not rub anything now.

That's what I'm gonna do!
Thank's for the idea!

Ranch Dog

Postby Ranch Dog » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:14 am

Mike,

Your spring/chain mod is a must for me. I'm tired of the Lee arrangement. Good thinking! How about a picture with the ram lowered?

Man, that is one clean press!

Mike-Mat

Postby Mike-Mat » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:45 am

The top loop of the spring comes right off, then I can loop it onto the bottom of the chain to get it out of the way. I don't loose any adjustment when I take it off.

Gets cleaned every time I'm done using it. Blow it off with the air hose, wipe it down, lube it up. Cant afford to have sticky primer feeds.

Ranch Dog

Postby Ranch Dog » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:33 am

Thanks, the spring/chain set up is so much neater! From the looks of it, the spring is about the length equal to the distance from where it is connected on the Auto-Disk to a point abeam the shell plate when the shell plate is fully raised. The rest is chain. All this gives me an idea what length of spring to find.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:34 pm

All good ideas, but I quit counting at 15,000 rounds through my LM, loaded a lot since then. I have only broken 1 chain and it was my fault.

daboone

Postby daboone » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:58 pm

rowe_s wrote:All good ideas, but I quit counting at 15,000 rounds through my LM, loaded a lot since then. I have only broken 1 chain and it was my fault.

I busted a few when I first got going with the LM, and then never again. IMO the chain setup is clumsy and Mike's mod is simpler, always better, no hunting for the dropped spring when making changes, no rubbing the thumb screw, etc.

Now Mike tell me how to keep my counter going and I'd make the change! But I don't want to give my counter. It's very helpful for keeping track of runs, figuring out when I've pumped out enough of a batch. With the LM it's easy to get carried away! I don't have a clue as to the number of rounds I've pumped out with the LM but I can keep track of when to quit before I run out of ammo boxes!

Mike-Mat

Postby Mike-Mat » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:44 pm

Why would the rigging to your counter change? You could probably keep using the chain for that if you wanted, or switch to a high quality nylon string.

Mike Mattera

Return to “Load Master forum”