I was a NewBee again, small primers.

Questions, troubleshooting and tips relating to Lee turret presses

Moderator: darwin

prs

I was a NewBee again, small primers.

Postby prs » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:55 am

All of my previous hand gun reloading has been for 45 Colt revolver. I own a Python Colt and a S&W Detective Spcl. Years ago, a fellow cowboy shooter developed a special boolit based partly upon a .454 design I created for black powder cartridge (great for smokeless too). This fellow, Snakebite, did a very clever thing to allow ultra smooth feeding through lever action rifles/carbines typically chambered for 357 Mag. with his design. He uses a 38SPL case, yet the long tapered boolit ends up with OAL close to 357Mag. Since its tapered, it will still fit in .38SPL chambers with the tip resing in the cylinder throats. So, I purchased one of his molds way back when, just ot have. I even cast about 50# of ww alloy boolits with it and stored them all this time.

So recently I got some 38 SPL brass and those itty-bitty small primers. I got a Lee sizer and a set of dies. I set this up in my Classic Turret and loading was as slick as ever, except for priming. Lots of them failed to stay in the primer pin cup as the easy prime was pulled away. It took me an hour to get that lined up for reliable function. Felt like a fool with persistent failures until I finally hit the sweet spot on the adjustment. Then, in short order I had mt 100 Snakebite Grease Wagaon 357s powered by 70% of capacity of TrailBoss. In the Python all I can say is SWEET! Very low recoil and noise, yet good power on hits (knock downs fell with authority). Very confidence inspiring for accuracy. Minimal leading in either revolver after 50 rounds, very easy to clean. Then the Detective SPCL. Same thing, SWEET. I gotta scavenge some more brass and casting alloy now. I don't much care fo the BIG primer boxes Federal uses, that had me dumping the primers in a large lid and them into my tray and those danged small primers are hard to pick up with big fingers.

prs

motopic

Postby motopic » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:13 pm

Dude, someones video had the deal on dumping those big Federal boxes into the tray.

Center one edge of the primer box (upside down) on the center of the tray, now holding the sleeve, push-pull the white primer holder across the center of the tray. viola they should all be in the tray.

prs

Postby prs » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:19 pm

Come to think of it, I vaguely recall such video. I'll give ia try for sure.

prs

prs

Postby prs » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:42 pm

Mxed results, so far. The Federal boxes are so close to the width of the diameter of the Lee primer tray that even this technique is difficult. First time I was cool, second time I spilled two primers. Practice, practice....

prs

daboone

Postby daboone » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:37 am

I layout a large towel on the bench. Pour half of the primers on the towel and 5 or 6 on the floor. Save me the time of trying to get 'em all in the tray on the first try. :lol: :lol:

For real I do this task over a shoe box. the strays are captured, then tilted to a corner and redeposited into the tray. And yes the towel is underneath just in case.

WyrTwister

.38 Special for Lever guns

Postby WyrTwister » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:34 am

Let me start out by saying I do not own any weapons chambered for .38 Special . All are .357 Mag . So , pressure is not an issue , as long as I do things right .

Next , if you load .38 Special brass with bullets seated to the same OAL as .357 Mag ammo , the internal case volume will be equivalent .

This is an important thing to remember / ponder , because if the bullet is seated to " normal " .38 Special OAL , case volume will be reduced , increasing pressure .

Since my lever guns seem to feed better with " full length " ammo , I started loading .38 Special brass to .357 Mag OAL . This helps feeding . ( of course , the wheel gun does not care . )

This has become my SOP for .38 Special brass . Only problem is , since receiving the LoadMaster , I quickly depleted my supply of .38 Special ( and .357 Mag ) brass . :-(

The same procedure could be followed for .44 Special brass , but I have next to zero .44 Special brass . Almost all is .44 Mag brass .

God bless
Wyr

Return to “Turret presses”