38-special - flaring at powder load

Questions, troubleshooting and tips relating to Lee turret presses

Moderator: darwin

pistolpositive

38-special - flaring at powder load

Postby pistolpositive » Mon May 02, 2011 11:00 am

This weekend - after finally successfully trying out my first reloads on Friday - I was reloading some .38 special ammo. I noticed that it is flaring the top of the brass on charging with powder. Of course the next two die take out the flare.
I just don't recall it doing that before. Is this right and if right is it simply there to make it easier to hold a bullet prior to seating?
Also, what a kick finally shooting my own ammo. I had one FTE on my 9mm in my Taurus 1911. I had no issues with my .45 acp and my RIA 1911 government model. And, apparently, I loaded only the primer and a bullet on one round of my .38 special. It went ptff, but did launch the bullet.
I know my Taurus 1911 prefers 124 or greater, but I have fed it 115 grain before. I am going to split the difference more or less on my next 9mm batch and try it at 5.0 grains of HP-38 with 115 grain FMJ.

dglock

Re: 38-special - flaring at powder load

Postby dglock » Mon May 02, 2011 12:13 pm

pistolpositive wrote:This weekend - after finally successfully trying out my first reloads on Friday - I was reloading some .38 special ammo. I noticed that it is flaring the top of the brass on charging with powder. Of course the next two die take out the flare.
I just don't recall it doing that before. Is this right and if right is it simply there to make it easier to hold a bullet prior to seating?
Also, what a kick finally shooting my own ammo. I had one FTE on my 9mm in my Taurus 1911. I had no issues with my .45 acp and my RIA 1911 government model. And, apparently, I loaded only the primer and a bullet on one round of my .38 special. It went ptff, but did launch the bullet.
I know my Taurus 1911 prefers 124 or greater, but I have fed it 115 grain before. I am going to split the difference more or less on my next 9mm batch and try it at 5.0 grains of HP-38 with 115 grain FMJ.

It is normal to flare the case mouth on pistol loads,
but don't over do it as the brass will work harden and crack after only a few loadings.

The amount of flare is adjustable.

don

pistolpositive

Postby pistolpositive » Mon May 02, 2011 12:30 pm

Definitely will reduce the flaring. It would appear to be too much

daboone

Re: 38-special - flaring at powder load

Postby daboone » Mon May 02, 2011 8:09 pm

pistolpositive wrote: I had one FTE on my 9mm in my Taurus 1911. apparently, I loaded only the primer and a bullet on one round of my .38 special. It went ptff, but did launch the bullet.

Are you using the Auto Disk, dippers, ???? Nothing replaces the old mark one eyeball. Try to position yourself so you can look down into the case after the powder drop. You can do a search here and find several threads on lighting/lights to improve the view down into the case. Squibs can and will launch the bullet far enough down the barrel to ruin your day if another round is chambered and fired. I'm sure you are aware of this but always check, better safe than sorry.

pistolpositive wrote:I know my Taurus 1911 prefers 124 or greater, but I have fed it 115 grain before. I am going to split the difference more or less on my next 9mm batch and try it at 5.0 grains of HP-38 with 115 grain FMJ.

OMG you are so hooked, reloading will now take over and all hope is lost. Their is no known cure for the addiction. :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: Working up loads is one of the most gratifying and rewarding parts of shooting. There is a real since of pride standing next to your target and seeing the improvement that little tweak did for you and your gun's performance. Let us know how it worked out!

pistolpositive

Postby pistolpositive » Tue May 03, 2011 8:46 am

I am using the auto disk.
I am going to see if I can find some Winchester WSF as it supports my preferred 9mm load (124 grain FMJ) and some options for .45 acp. However, it is going to take forever to learn bullet nomenclature. For instance can regular FMJ and HDY FMJ FP be considered similar?
Have not even touched on anything other than lead cast bullets (for the lower-velocity .38 special options) or the FMJ for the 9mm and .45 acp.

prs

Postby prs » Tue May 03, 2011 12:51 pm

I flare just the least amount to allow the boolit to stay up right as I raise it into the seat die. Some say to set it so that only half of the ase band enters the flare.

BTW, on the Classic Turret with the powder drop extension, I find that if I use an "O" ring in the upper joint that the ProAuto Disk measure is not full activated and fluffy powders do not fully drop. The disk need to slide all the way forward.

prs

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:22 am

The flare is even more important with lead bullets , than with jacketed bullets .

With rifle bullets , it is pretty much a non-issue with Boat Tail jacketed bullets .

I load all home cast lead bullets in my hand gun calibers .

The flare can be adjusted by screwing the powder through the expander die further in ( more flare ) or further out ( less flare ) .

God bless
Wyr

Return to “Turret presses”