New Reloader New Equip Set Up

Questions, troubleshooting and tips relating to Lee turret presses

Moderator: darwin

TPGS

Re: Powder and Primer life

Postby TPGS » Fri May 27, 2011 9:01 pm

flgunner wrote:I think I will give the gun show dealers a try. Shelf life isn't an issue with me, especially I will be buying small lots to start as I try to decide on loads.

I have had ammo (both shotgun shells and metallic) for years that fired fine - look at all the surplus ammo that has been around forever, There are bad batches, but not most. Other than corrosion and moisture, not much can go wrong. I would certainly check any powder and primer packaging to make sure it did not appear "shelf-worn" or moisture affected in any way.

BTW - I haven't heard any real comments on my original message asking about reloading setup choices - any recommendations of note?

I have decided on Lyman's 1200 Pro Turbo tumbler - deems to be the best value for the price (at the bottom end, admittedly, but reviews aren't bad).

I understand not dropping $230.00 for a tumbler but...it is markedly easier to load with clean brass...including the primer pockets. I doubt any brand of that style of tumbler will do it. All you can do is try them both (as I have) and you will then notice the difference.

Best of luck.

daboone

Re: Powder and Primer life

Postby daboone » Fri May 27, 2011 9:28 pm

flgunner wrote:BTW - I haven't heard any real comments on my original message asking about reloading setup choices - any recommendations of note?

Reloading setup choices? My suggestion is initially to use as little as necessary. As you go along you'll learn what works and what doesn't, what needs to be improved and what's work well. Then add to your reloading gear. You and I will have different requirements and goals so the only thing I really strongly suggest is a notebook. Believe me someday a year from now you'll wish you could remember what powder/primer/bullet/die set or if you cleaned the primer pocket or neck sized, etc.. It's a sinking feeling holding a personal best target and not being able to remember all the details that went into those handloads.

flgunner

Postby flgunner » Sat May 28, 2011 9:28 am

Thanks for all the recommendations.

As several have noted, it seems to be a leaning process. The last comment about keeping notes appears to be especially appropriate. I have turned to writing thrillers and wish I had keep better journals of all the places/things I've experienced.

vhoward1122

Postby vhoward1122 » Sat May 28, 2011 9:52 pm

I would get the Lee Classic Turret press as it is a much better press than the deluxe turret press by lee. Yes there are two different models of turret presses by Lee.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/de ... ber=880135
That is the 4 hole turret press.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/de ... ber=814175
That is the Lee Classic 4 hole turret press.

See the difference? The Classic is actually the newer updated model.

I use the Lyman 1200 Turbo Pro tumbler and it works fine. The cases only need to be cleaned, no need to polish to a mirror finish.

Also check out Cheaper than dirt. They have good prices also.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/

Hawkmoon

Re: New Reloader New Equip Set Up

Postby Hawkmoon » Sat May 28, 2011 10:36 pm

flgunner wrote:I am finally going to reload, and after scanning many sources propose to order the following to reload .389 ACP, 9mm Luger and .45 ACP:

Lee Deluxe Turret Press Reloading Kit with Auto Index;
Lee 9mm Luger Carbide 4 Die Set;
Lee 45 ACP Carbide 4 Die Set;
Lee 380 ACP Carbide 3 Die Set;
Lee 380 ACP Carbide Factory Crimp Die;
Lee 4 Hole Turret (two extra);
Lee Small and Large Safety Prime for Classic Cast & Turret Press;
SmartReloader SR1750 Bullet puller.

Looking at all this from Natches - seems to be the best price.

Still undecided on tumbler, but looking at Berry's Model 400 Tumbler and a digital caliper - brand/source undecided.

Did I miss anything, or anything on the list not needed pr overkill?

Since you're still looking for comments on this array, I'll chime in.

For the pistol calibers you're going to load, IMHO the original Turret Press is fine. That's what I use. I have several thousand rounds through it and it's like new. A little lubrication goes a long way.

I can't comment on the Safety Prime. I prefer to prime off the press, using a Lee Autoprime hand-held primer. With the cases prepped and pre-primed, it makes the actual loading almost foolproof.

Other than that, I think you're good to go. The Deluxe kit includes a Lee balance scale, which is quite adequate. The kit includes the Auto-Disk powder measure. It'll work fine, although I think eventually you'll upgrade to the Auto-Disk Pro.

It isn't needed with carbide dies, but case lube eases the resizing effort. I like the aerosol version of Hornady One Shot.

I bought all my Lee gear at Natchez. Good prices and good service.

Here's how my setup works: http://loadmastervideos.com/Lee_Turret_001.wmv

flgunner

Primers

Postby flgunner » Tue May 31, 2011 10:58 am

Again - thanks for all the advice. Stuff is all on the truck except for powder and primers.

I haven't received any of my order yet, to include manuals - but from my Internet research and peering at my collected brass, I still don't have a handle on how to select large vs. small pistol primers.

Is there a set rule that certain calibers or brand of brass uses one or the other?

When I get my calipers, will the difference be obvious?

daboone

Re: Primers

Postby daboone » Tue May 31, 2011 11:13 am

flgunner wrote:I still don't have a handle on how to select large vs. small pistol primers.

Is there a set rule that certain calibers or brand of brass uses one or the other?

Your manuals will provide the primer size info. Beware however there are now "lead free" primer" I believe they are stamped "NT" (non toxic) These case will require NT primer. Be sure to check your head stamps of your cases. It's a good idea to sort your brass by head stamp anyway especially for bottleneck cases.

I'm sure others will chime in on the new non toxic cases makers and primers.

SidecarMike

Postby SidecarMike » Tue May 31, 2011 11:16 am

flgunner wrote:Again - thanks for all the advice. ...

You won't need a caliper. There is a huge difference. Small is .175" Large is .210".

That doesn't sound like much, but it is visible.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Tue May 31, 2011 4:39 pm

Calipers are a necessity, IMHO, to measure OAL. Too short and your pressures are going to go up - possibly to a dangerous level.

SidecarMike

Postby SidecarMike » Tue May 31, 2011 4:40 pm

darwin wrote:Calipers are a necessity, IMHO, to measure OAL. Too short and your pressures are going to go up - possibly to a dangerous level.

I meant he won't need a caliper to tell the difference between large and small primers. :lol:

Hawkmoon

Postby Hawkmoon » Tue May 31, 2011 7:02 pm

flgunner wrote:Again - thanks for all the advice. Stuff is all on the truck except for powder and primers.

I haven't received any of my order yet, to include manuals - but from my Internet research and peering at my collected brass, I still don't have a handle on how to select large vs. small pistol primers.

The brass will tell you, byt the size of the primer pocket.

In common pistol calibers, .45 Auto uses large. 9mm, .380 Auto, and .40 S&W use small.

BUT ...

A word of caution: I load mostly .45 Auto, and I scrounge Winchester brass. Winchester and Federal both now have a line of "non-toxic" ammo. In .45 Auto, both brands use SMALL pistol primers in their "NT" brass.

daboone

Postby daboone » Tue May 31, 2011 7:11 pm

[quote="Hawkmoon" Winchester and Federal both now have a line of "non-toxic" ammo. In .45 Auto, both brands use SMALL pistol primers in their "NT" brass.[/quote]

So the NT primers are the same size as small pistol? How do small pistol primer work with 45ACP? I also thought the flash hole were if different size????

Hawkmoon

Postby Hawkmoon » Tue May 31, 2011 8:10 pm

daboone wrote:So the NT primers are the same size as small pistol? How do small pistol primer work with 45ACP? I also thought the flash hole were if different size????

Seems to work fine. A few of the folks on the forum at M1911.org reload the NT brass -- but most either stockpile it or ignore it. I throw it back -- too much work trying to keep track of what represents a VERY small percentage of the brass I scrounge.

daboone

Postby daboone » Tue May 31, 2011 8:14 pm

Thank for the feedback. I been throwing the NT stuff in the recycle box. That brass get traded for lead when the box is full.

The Old Anglo

Scaling

Postby The Old Anglo » Tue May 22, 2012 8:44 pm

Please make sure you know how to scale your powder,Super Important!!. Also a Lyman Pistol and Revolver Manual is a good idea!.

Return to “Turret presses”