New Reloader New Equip Set Up

Questions, troubleshooting and tips relating to Lee turret presses

Moderator: darwin

flgunner

New Reloader New Equip Set Up

Postby flgunner » Mon May 23, 2011 2:07 pm

I am finally going to reload, and after scanning many sources propose to order the following to reload .389 ACP, 9mm Luger and .45 ACP:

Lee Deluxe Turret Press Reloading Kit with Auto Index;
Lee 9mm Luger Carbide 4 Die Set;
Lee 45 ACP Carbide 4 Die Set;
Lee 380 ACP Carbide 3 Die Set;
Lee 380 ACP Carbide Factory Crimp Die;
Lee 4 Hole Turret (two extra);
Lee Small and Large Safety Prime for Classic Cast & Turret Press;
SmartReloader SR1750 Bullet puller.

Looking at all this from Natches - seems to be the best price.

Still undecided on tumbler, but looking at Berry's Model 400 Tumbler and a digital caliper - brand/source undecided.

Did I miss anything, or anything on the list not needed pr overkill?

I have Lee and Lyman manuals on order to read before a final decision, plus plan to go to my local gun show to get bullets, primers and powder after a little more study.

SidecarMike

Postby SidecarMike » Mon May 23, 2011 4:03 pm

I don't buy primers or powder at gun shows. Both have a limited shelf life and you don't know how old the stuff is.

flgunner

Tumbler and caliper

Postby flgunner » Mon May 23, 2011 4:15 pm

Harbor Freight tumbler is on sale for $39. I will probably be running 100-299 per batch per week. Will it work OK?

SideCarMike - Suggested source for powder/primers?

To start I won't be buying in large bulk until I decide what I like and thought small quantity purchase at the show might be the way to go - obviously trying to avoid the extra charges on a small batch,

TPGS

Postby TPGS » Mon May 23, 2011 4:20 pm

If you are going to spend the time to clean your brass I suggest you look here :http://www.stainlesstumblingmedia.com/

Yes it costs A LOT. But, you never need to replace the media (if you don't lose it), it does a way better job and the machine is actually a tumbler. Initial cost is far greater but the job is done better.

Just my .02

flgunner

Postby flgunner » Mon May 23, 2011 4:34 pm

TPGS - I checked the web site - Wow!

Looks great, but as you said, a bit pricy. Maybe if I really get into it:-)

customcutter

Postby customcutter » Mon May 23, 2011 4:38 pm

SidecarMike wrote:I don't buy primers or powder at gun shows. Both have a limited shelf life and you don't know how old the stuff is.

Not sure how you can tell how old any of it is. I do know that I have a few pounds left of some IMR4350 that is between 25-30 years old. Every few years I'll load up another 100 rds of 7mag or 6.5X55 with primers I bought at the same time. I ain't had a misfire yet (knock on wood), I trust it for my deer hunting. If it came to defensive loads or serious competition shooting I guess it might be different. Of course YMMV. :D

Welcome to the site flgunner.

CC

flgunner

Postby flgunner » Mon May 23, 2011 4:43 pm

I plan to stick with factory loads for SD - at least until I am really sure of what I am doing.

daboone

Postby daboone » Mon May 23, 2011 4:51 pm

I think Lee kits include a Safety Scale. Be sure to spend some time learning to be comfortable using it. It's a good scale, but like everything reloading, practice makes perfect.

I'd also suggest getting calipers that measure to .001. I prefer dial because analog is easier to look at and isn't battery dependent, but I'm a grumpy ornery set in his ways old fart. Like checking powder drops frequently checking OAL of your cartridges will just add another layer of safety and accuracy to your handloads.

Online loading data should always be verified. The only exceptions are the actual powder companies data. Do yourself a favor and work up your loads by reducing the max loads by 10% then see how well it work before moving up. If you really want to reload the best ammo for you guns and save money you will appreciate the time it takes to do load work ups.

flgunner

Postby flgunner » Mon May 23, 2011 5:04 pm

Thanks for the tips. Since I plan on reloading for targets -at least at first - I plan to stay with nominal loads as found in the books, nothing exotic. I have seen enough mis-information on the Internet to not rely on information until I understand the implications better than I do now.

Hawkmoon

Re: Tumbler and caliper

Postby Hawkmoon » Mon May 23, 2011 9:56 pm

flgunner wrote:Harbor Freight tumbler is on sale for $39. I will probably be running 100-299 per batch per week. Will it work OK?

SideCarMike - Suggested source for powder/primers?

To start I won't be buying in large bulk until I decide what I like and thought small quantity purchase at the show might be the way to go - obviously trying to avoid the extra charges on a small batch,

I had a Harbor Freight tumbler for about a month and practically gave it away. It tumbled okay -- but the noise drove me nuts even at the other end of the house, and using it when the wife was home was not within the realm of possibility.

I bought a Hornady tumbler from Natchez. Also made in China, but MUCH better, smoother, quieter.

GMAN

Postby GMAN » Tue May 24, 2011 8:02 am

Cabelas tumbler is the same as Berrys.

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Tue May 24, 2011 11:55 pm

SidecarMike wrote:I don't buy primers or powder at gun shows. Both have a limited shelf life and you don't know how old the stuff is.

When I got my Turret press, I had powder that was 30 years old. It worked fine. Heat and moisture are very bad for powder. Stored properly, it lasts a long, long time.

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Thu May 26, 2011 9:34 pm

I've got some ALCAN large rifle primers I bought in 1968 when I first started reloading(Herters reloading equip). I loaded some 30-06 loads a couple of weeks ago using them and some with CCI. Across the chronograph they were with in a 100fps and nary a misfire. To be honest, I probably won't load much with them, but think they are perfectly fine.
Most of this "shelf life" rhetoric is BS. Think about it, if these items had shelf life, what good would they be?
Talk to the manufacturers and they will tell you there is no shelf life on either primers or powder. Only thing that will ruin them is improper storage...

flgunner

Powder and Primer life

Postby flgunner » Fri May 27, 2011 8:16 am

I think I will give the gun show dealers a try. Shelf life isn't an issue with me, especially I will be buying small lots to start as I try to decide on loads.

I have had ammo (both shotgun shells and metallic) for years that fired fine - look at all the surplus ammo that has been around forever, There are bad batches, but not most. Other than corrosion and moisture, not much can go wrong. I would certainly check any powder and primer packaging to make sure it did not appear "shelf-worn" or moisture affected in any way.

BTW - I haven't heard any real comments on my original message asking about reloading setup choices - any recommendations of note?

I have decided on Lyman's 1200 Pro Turbo tumbler - deems to be the best value for the price (at the bottom end, admittedly, but reviews aren't bad).

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Fri May 27, 2011 1:54 pm

I think you've got the right stuff to start with and think the Lyman 1200 will serve you well. Things will change as you go along. Some things won't work for you and you'll add a lot of stuff you think you need. One of the most important is to read the instructions that come with the equipment. Most of us want to get started right and when we have a problem, we find that it could have been eliminated if we had read the instructions. I started with one small tumbler years ago, added 3 more and now have order a Lyman 2500 just because of the amount of 223 I load. Good luck and enjoy.

Return to “Turret presses”