Auto Index -- WON'T

Questions, troubleshooting and tips relating to Lee turret presses

Moderator: darwin

Hawkmoon

Auto Index -- WON'T

Postby Hawkmoon » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:48 pm

Has anyone experienced a sudden failure of the press to advance the turret to the next station? I'm using an original (not Classic) Lee Turret Press with 4-hole turrets and with auto-index installed. Never had a problem with it until tonight, when I tried to use it and found that the auto-index isn't advancing the turret.

The little plastic gilhoolie that clamps around the ram seems to have a bit of play in it but, worse than that, with that part off the press I can insert the auto-index rod into it and the rod spins more or less freely. There is a small, plastic bushing (or something, dunno what the official name is) that may be worn and need replacing, but I'm wondering if I need to order the complete housing as well.

Has anyone traveled this path before me?

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:26 am

Not for sure but these vids might help.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLAru413y1A

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:02 am

Yep. You need the indexing square. The screw that holds the indexing square clamp in place has a tendency to strip out. I fixed that by putting in a longer screw with a nut & washer on it. That holds the square securely in place and extends its life considerably. The square is a really cheap part and I keep some new ones on hand. There should have been a spare that came with your press.

Hawkmoon

Postby Hawkmoon » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:48 am

Smitty62 wrote:Yep. You need the indexing square. The screw that holds the indexing square clamp in place has a tendency to strip out. I fixed that by putting in a longer screw with a nut & washer on it. That holds the square securely in place and extends its life considerably. The square is a really cheap part and I keep some new ones on hand. There should have been a spare that came with your press.

GRRRRR.

I concur on the longer screw with nut. I'll take care of that locally, since obviously Lee doesn't offer it. I have ordered a bunch of the "indexing squares" from Lee. They cost all of 50 cents each, so the shipping will be the major cost of the order. Went ahead and ordered a spare clamp and a couple of spare screws while I was on their site.

So I'm out of action for a week or so, unless I just plod along using it as a single stage in batch mode -- or advance the turret manually.

Sheesh. I hate plastic. The clamp, at least, should be metal. It could be MIM for probably the same cost as making it out of plastic, and then there'd be much less flex internally.

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:22 pm

No, Lee doesn't offer it and I really don't know why it wasn't part of the original design. With that simple mod I can run thousands of rounds thru the turret press before I need to replace the square. Just don't overtighten. May your parts come in quickly.

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:03 pm

If you make sure and NOT index the turret manually with the handle partly raised the little square part should last for years. Mine has. It's in the instructions....

Hawkmoon

Postby Hawkmoon » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:58 pm

Horseman wrote:It's in the instructions....

The what?

Turn in your man card to the administrator immediately.

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:27 am

OOOWWWWWUUUCCCHHH!!!!! :shock: let me rephrase.... I didn't actually SEE the instructions myself, I just HEARD from someone thats what they said...

I've never read them because I'm to busy doing manly stuff... 8)

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:41 pm

Then you must pay. LOL

Simon says: If not read instructions, then must pay sooner than later.

Return to “Turret presses”