Lee Turret Press

Questions, troubleshooting and tips relating to Lee turret presses

Moderator: darwin

uniquedot

Postby uniquedot » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:08 pm

prs wrote:Unique, are ya sure. Will the index rod interchange and such? I find the three hole process to be a bit quicker then the 4 holer.

prs

There was a guy on another forum that bought the classic cast when it first came out and he had so many three hole turrets that he just swapped out the tops of the presses (turret ring) and converted the classic to a three hole. I don't remember if he used the auto index or not though. Perhaps a google search would turn up that old thread. I don't have my older aluminum turret presses anymore so i can't check, but the folks at Lee could probably tell you...i say probably because it depends on who you talk to as some in the CS dept. don't know much about the products they sell.

Hawkmoon

Postby Hawkmoon » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:04 am

I don't have a 3-hole Turret, but I do have a Pro 1000, which uses the same 3-hole turrets. And I have a 4-hole Turret Press. The indexing rod on the 4-hole is square, and the hole in the underside of the turret plates is likewise square. The depression in the underside of the 3-hole turret plates is not square and I don't think could possibly work with the 4-hole indexer.

Besides, the square indexer rotates the turret 90 degrees with each turn. A 3-hole press needs to rotate 120 degrees from one station to the next.

uniquedot

Postby uniquedot » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:32 pm

Hawkmoon wrote:I don't have a 3-hole Turret, but I do have a Pro 1000, which uses the same 3-hole turrets. And I have a 4-hole Turret Press. The indexing rod on the 4-hole is square, and the hole in the underside of the turret plates is likewise square. The depression in the underside of the 3-hole turret plates is not square and I don't think could possibly work with the 4-hole indexer.

Besides, the square indexer rotates the turret 90 degrees with each turn. A 3-hole press needs to rotate 120 degrees from one station to the next.

Might could change the ratchet housing on the ram and then use the three hole index rod. I am sure it could be done, but something may have to be modified. Simple solution would be to change the turret rings and hand index though.

jekemi

4 hole turret

Postby jekemi » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:34 pm

I have the Lee Classic Turret press and I use the 4 hole turrets. I have three all set up with dies and disk powder measures so changing calibers is a breeze. The fourth hole is used mostly for the Lee Factory Crimp die, which makes a very nice final product. The auto-indexing is a nice feature.

I recently purchased a Lee Loadmaster. I'll use the turret press for my .270 and 7.62 x 54. I stack 3 disks to get the proper powder load for both calibers and seem to have no problems with it charging fairly accurately.

My plan is to get a Dillon rapid-trim and mount it on the Turret press along with a de-priming/re-sizing die. Then the brass will go into the ultrasonic cleaner. I'll use the Loadmaster to auto-load the cases, auto-prime, powder charge & expand, Hornady powder cop, bullet seating and factory crimp.

Hawkmoon

Postby Hawkmoon » Sun May 06, 2012 1:02 am

Directly from the Lee web site regarding the 3-hole turret press:

This press does not include auto index.

http://leeprecision.com/3-hole-turret-press.html

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Wed May 09, 2012 2:05 pm

They must have changed it then, I had one in 95' that auto indexed. Maybe I had to buy a "auto index kit" seperately, don't recall.

uniquedot

Postby uniquedot » Sun May 13, 2012 2:49 pm

Horseman wrote:They must have changed it then, I had one in 95' that auto indexed. Maybe I had to buy a "auto index kit" seperately, don't recall.

Yep, the three holer was available with or without auto index. If they are no longer offering the auto index version of the three hole turret and someone wanted one all ya gotta do is look on ebay and buy a used one. Heck the auto index three hole press was available for many, many years before Lee even offered a four hole turret. BTW the three hole auto index system looked like the newer 4 hole, but the ratchet housing was aluminum instead of plastic and it used the same index ratchets that the pro 1000.

Return to “Turret presses”