Loadmaster
76%
Lee Pro 1000
24%

Total votes: 17

me-109

Lee Reloading Press Upgrade Advice.

Postby me-109 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:50 am

I currently have a 4 stage Lee Turret Press.
I'm loading 9mm 147gr at a rate of 100p/h.
I'm shooting in matches and using 250-300 per week (with some practice sessions). So that is around 3hrs per week loading.

I would like to be able to load for the month in 1 or 2 sessions, and not the night before like it is becoming!

I want to upgrade to a progressive press. All my friends who I shoot with and reload, use the Dillon 650. I cannot afford that!

So my question is which one: Lee Loadmaster or Lee Pro 1000?

I plan to load pistol on the progressive, and use my turret to load Rifle (.223)
So with that in mind if I get one of the Lee Progressives, in .223 can I then move the dies over to my Turret, and use the dies from my turret on the progressive? (avoid buying the progressive in 9mm and having a spare set) I plan of having Turret plate set up for each caliber I shoot with powder etc all installed.

So If I got one in .223, what would I need to make it 9mm (I have the dies)?

My Budget for this process is around $300ish (press & dies, ignore any case prep tools)

Thank you, for your time, and input. 8)

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:55 am

The Load Master has an extra station that will be handy for using the Factory Crimp die, which is very useful for pistol ammo. If you use lead bullets, though, it may or may not be the right way to go.

If .223 uses large rifle primers, then you'd need a small primer trough and primer pin for 9mm.

The case feeder may need to be changed, too. Others would know more about that.

I think both use the same powder measure, but I'm not sure about that. Rifle calibers may use the Perfect Powder Measure.

Lee recently announced that they weren't going to sell the LM in rifle calibers, except by special order.

It'd probably be cheaper and easier in the long run to just buy the LM in 9mm and sell the extra dies or keep them as spares.

Lee precision seems to be out of stock on just about everything.

And welcome aboard!

motopic

Postby motopic » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:03 am

LM is perfectly fine for your intended reload rate.

.223 uses small rifle primers, so 9mm and 223 would use the same priming system.

The perfect Powder measure is a better measure for rifle (larger capacity) and I think for pistol (esp competition) as its far more adjustable (dial vs cavity style)

Case feeder IS different for those 2 calibers.

Shell plate will be different too.

I've no experience with a Pro1000.

You will have to setup, calibrate and tinker a bit with the LM.
But we should have all the tweaks you need right here on this site.

I'd start you off with a 9mm LM setup. Then build on that.

[edit] To answer your question: So If I got one in .223, what would I need to make it 9mm (I have the dies)?

You would need a shellplate for 9mm.

Optionally you would need the small case feeder for 9mm
Optionally you would use the Disk Powder measure, but as I say I think the PPM that comes with 223 will work just fine.

I also recommend getting the primer blast shield assessory.

Finally a BIG supply of brass and bullets!
(don't we all need that!)

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Wed May 09, 2012 1:54 pm

I had far fewer issues with the Pro 1000 than I ever did with the Loadmaster. However, some just don't like the 3 station limitation. It was never a problem for me as I only reload for revolvers so the "need" for a seperate crimp die wasn't a problem. If Lee EVER gets a handle on the priming sytem for the Loadmaster I wouldn't mind having another one. I gave the Pro 1000 to a friend when I found another Ammomaster (cheap) so I could "dedicate" one for each primer size.

WyrTwister

Re: Lee Reloading Press Upgrade Advice.

Postby WyrTwister » Wed May 09, 2012 2:29 pm

me-109 wrote:I currently have a 4 stage Lee Turret Press.
I'm loading 9mm 147gr at a rate of 100p/h.
I'm shooting in matches and using 250-300 per week (with some practice sessions). So that is around 3hrs per week loading.

I would like to be able to load for the month in 1 or 2 sessions, and not the night before like it is becoming!

I want to upgrade to a progressive press. All my friends who I shoot with and reload, use the Dillon 650. I cannot afford that!

So my question is which one: Lee Loadmaster or Lee Pro 1000?

I plan to load pistol on the progressive, and use my turret to load Rifle (.223)
So with that in mind if I get one of the Lee Progressives, in .223 can I then move the dies over to my Turret, and use the dies from my turret on the progressive? (avoid buying the progressive in 9mm and having a spare set) I plan of having Turret plate set up for each caliber I shoot with powder etc all installed.

So If I got one in .223, what would I need to make it 9mm (I have the dies)?

My Budget for this process is around $300ish (press & dies, ignore any case prep tools)

I transitioned from the Lee 4 hole cast iron turret press to the LoadMaster ( which has 5 holes ) . Could not see going back to a 3 hole press ( P1000 ) .

But , before you buy a progressive , watch a bunch of the videos .

Get the kit in a pistol caliber , you get the disk powder measure . The rifle kit comes with the Perfect Powder Measure .

You will have to buy a few odds and ends to change caliber to .223 .

When I load .223 , I do my initial brass prep on the 4 hole cast iron turret press . Then after trimming & reaming , I finish up on the LM .

God bless
Wyr
Thank you, for your time, and input. 8)

me-109

Postby me-109 » Sat May 19, 2012 10:02 pm

Just bought a loadmaster from Lee in 9mm thanks for your help.

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Sun May 20, 2012 1:05 am

me-109 wrote:Just bought a loadmaster from Lee in 9mm thanks for your help.

:-)

God bless
Wyr

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:57 pm

motopic wrote:LM is perfectly fine for your intended reload rate.

.223 uses small rifle primers, so 9mm and 223 would use the same priming system.

The perfect Powder measure is a better measure for rifle (larger capacity) and I think for pistol (esp competition) as its far more adjustable (dial vs cavity style)

Case feeder IS different for those 2 calibers.

Shell plate will be different too.

I've no experience with a Pro1000.

You will have to setup, calibrate and tinker a bit with the LM.
But we should have all the tweaks you need right here on this site.

I'd start you off with a 9mm LM setup. Then build on that.

[edit] To answer your question: So If I got one in .223, what would I need to make it 9mm (I have the dies)?

You would need a shellplate for 9mm.

Optionally you would need the small case feeder for 9mm
Optionally you would use the Disk Powder measure, but as I say I think the PPM that comes with 223 will work just fine.

I also recommend getting the primer blast shield assessory.

Finally a BIG supply of brass and bullets!

LoadMaster . Watch all the videos .

I have used the disk measure & adjustable charge bar for .223 & AA # 2200 ( or WC846 ) . Barely enough for the 55 grain load , but large enough .

The disks work fine too .

Keep in mind , you will often / usually have to pre-process your brass .

God bless
Wyr
(don't we all need that!)

me-109

Postby me-109 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:47 pm

Love the loadmaster Loaded over 1500 9mm, in a little more than 3 hours. Took a while to figure out all the bugs, and how it works. Broke the primer seating pin, but replaced that. Runs like a champ. 8)

prs

Postby prs » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:57 pm

I think your original plan to learn the ropes on the pistol ammo and keep the turret for rifle is sound. At first, I suggest you run the LM in the turret mode and do set it up and learn its every function before going full tilt with progressive loading. The LM site is jamb packed with oidifications, but you do not have to mod, don't get too carried away with such at first.

prs
Last edited by prs on Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

me-109

Postby me-109 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:37 pm

That is exactly what I did. I have only loaded 9mm on it, I started by running a single case though it like a turret press, so I could figure out all the processes in every step.

I could not figure out what caused the flipper arm to pop out. I found the answer going over the videos on here, never saw the bump on the frame until then! Re-Indexed the carrier, and problem fixed. I also drilled the second hole on the case feeder, made that work 99% of the time.

I'm using the spring loaded powder measure from the turret press as it was already setup for my reloads, and it meant not having to mess around with that cable return.
I am aware that with the spring return in place I can risk a double charge, however I double charge would over flow the case, and I look down before placing the bullet to make sure it looks like the right powder drop.

I've made some modifications based on what I have seen on this forum and others.

Overall I've been very happy with it, just takes some time to learn how it works.

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:21 am

me-109 wrote:That is exactly what I did. I have only loaded 9mm on it, I started by running a single case though it like a turret press, so I could figure out all the processes in every step.

I could not figure out what caused the flipper arm to pop out. I found the answer going over the videos on here, never saw the bump on the frame until then! Re-Indexed the carrier, and problem fixed. I also drilled the second hole on the case feeder, made that work 99% of the time.

I'm using the spring loaded powder measure from the turret press as it was already setup for my reloads, and it meant not having to mess around with that cable return.
I am aware that with the spring return in place I can risk a double charge, however I double charge would over flow the case, and I look down before placing the bullet to make sure it looks like the right powder drop.

I've made some modifications based on what I have seen on this forum and others.

Overall I've been very happy with it, just takes some time to learn how it works.

drilled the second hole on the case feeder ?

God bless
Wyr

prs

Postby prs » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:23 pm

I've heard of the second hole before, but don't understand why or how it helps or what it helps. The bolt at the bottom of the square rod is adjustable in and out.

prs

me-109

Postby me-109 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:01 pm

The case feed slider, was not always moving the cases into the shell plate, it would get them 75% of the way there, and then retract.

The second hole which already exists on one side of the slider, just drilled though both sides. Gave me that extra 25% to get the cases to slide into position every time.

You can see the hoop at the back, then another hole, just drill that though to the other side, and it improved the whole operation. I found before if I would have to adjust the tension, after a 30 or so rounds it would not feed reliably, unless I adjust it again, this fixed it for me.

carload9

bolt threads

Postby carload9 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:24 pm

the bolt at bottom of square rod should have another 1/8 or more threads. But i dont know why but i got mine adjusted rite out of the box. I have run about 500 9's on new LLM with no brass feed problems. I may drill that hole incase i need it. Shadowdog500 on youtube and darwin.

Return to “Turret presses”