Lee 4 Hole Turret Press Binding- No Indexing Rod

Questions, troubleshooting and tips relating to Lee turret presses

Moderator: darwin

Lee 4 Hole Turret Press Binding- No Indexing Rod

Postby 5054 » Wed May 16, 2012 10:58 pm

Hey Guys-

So I've had my 4 hole turret press for about 2 months and it has always been stiff and "jerky" when working the lever arm. I have never inserted the indexing rod bc I wanted to learn how to load first before moving to the turret. I've used the turret press as a single stage since assembly. I've oiled it, tried adjusting it, and still binding on both the down and up stroke. I've researched online and people reference a nylon ratchet that wears out. but as I said I never have worked the press with the indexing rod. Any ideas on a fix or is it time to call lee and see if they will replace it? thanks in advance!

Hawkmoon

Postby Hawkmoon » Sun May 20, 2012 9:53 pm

The nylon ratchet is for the indexing rod/screw thingie, so if you aren't using that, it isn't implicated.

The ram should move smoothly through the full range of travel. What I think I would do is disconnect the linkage and see if the ram binds when being pushed manually up and down in the bore, with no linkage attached.

carload9

Postby carload9 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:08 pm

hit youtube really hard!

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k51 ... 5CBB34.mp4
This is electric picture.
Last edited by carload9 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:34 am

Ram Lubed?

carload9

ram

Postby carload9 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:01 am

yea , rite out box mine sounded terrible scraping on base slag and red paint, I scrapped it for just a lil', brushed it off. Then put some maglube on the big ram of LLM and it straightened rite out. Most think it is ruin's from the factory and oh!, i must send it back , when actually its just left over slag and red paint hanging on from china or wherever they come from. The classic i got wash lubed and wiped down and runs like a new cadi! I did do my homework on youtube for weeks and few tips off forums. I still gotta learn some more, i aint no darwin. Remember, some do not give up secrets. Well, hell take a pic and guess.
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k51 ... A596FD.mp4
monkey-see-monkey-do

daddyseal

Re: Lee 4 Hole Turret Press Binding- No Indexing Rod

Postby daddyseal » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:57 am

5054 wrote:Hey Guys-

So I've had my 4 hole turret press for about 2 months and it has always been stiff and "jerky" when working the lever arm. I have never inserted the indexing rod bc I wanted to learn how to load first before moving to the turret. I've used the turret press as a single stage since assembly. I've oiled it, tried adjusting it, and still binding on both the down and up stroke. I've researched online and people reference a nylon ratchet that wears out. but as I said I never have worked the press with the indexing rod. Any ideas on a fix or is it time to call lee and see if they will replace it? thanks in advance!

Mine was like that, and so I reloaded at first by manual turning the turret manually...Not a good idea, because when I tried to speed up the process, I somehow missed putting powder in a few.
It's not good when shooting, and the primer "pop" pushes the boollit into the bore and it's jammed in there. If I had tried to fire a round after that...My pistol would have been ruined, and I be hurt badly.

Having said all that, I fixed the "sticky" turret issue.
After using yours for 2 months with that "sticky/jerky" situation...You Definitely need to replace the plastic "Ratchet" at the bottom. I went thru 2 before I fixed my press.
1) I smoothed the index bar smooth with sandpaper and my dremel wire brush bit.
Do NOT oil the bar...use graphite.
2) The aluminum top and turrets are NOT precision machined.
There are sharp edges in both that can "catch" on each other to cause the "jerk", They both benefit from sanding down these sharp edges...It may take a few times to get them moving smooth, but it Will work.
Lube both lightly with gun oil.

Always move the press lever with Full Strokes, partial strokes will mess up the plastic ratchet.

Even though I got the top sanded smooth and working with one "drop in" turret, when I buy another and put it in...some need sanding too.

If you do those things and still have "sticky issues"...please let me know, OK?

Return to “Turret presses”