Turret Press Priming Issue

Questions, troubleshooting and tips relating to Lee turret presses

Moderator: darwin

me-109

Turret Press Priming Issue

Postby me-109 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:33 am

I have an issue that occurs every time I load rounds.

It does not occur every time, but at least 7 or 8 times per 100 rounds.

When lowering the ram from using the power drop / case flaring die the press will jerk (feels like the 9mm case is stuck in the die), and the priming arm will pop out onto the floor.

Its no big deal, but it is a pain to have to constantly pick it up, and re-seat it.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to prevent this?

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:50 am

Which one of the turret presses ? I have the cast iron Lee turret press .

If I am reading you correctly , the expander insert in the powder die is sticking on the inside of the case , as the shell holder / ram comes down ?

Take the expander insert out and clean it and the die and I would LIGHTLY lube it ( maybe with graphite ? or something with Teflon or moly ? ) .

Look for roughness or burrs . Maybe even buff / polish it ?

So , this is 9 x 19 mm ( Luger ) ? Does it happen with all brands of brass or just some ?

Mix up some Lee case lube with rubbing alcohol in a snall bottle . Experiment with dampening a q-tip with the mix & just barely werring the inside mouth of the brass . Does this help ?

Also , is the expander belling the mouth of the brass excessively ? If so , try screwing the die up a little further out of the turret ?

Measure the part of the expander that enters the case & see if you have one that is too large in diameter ? ( Incorrect part ? )

Do you have the safety prime ?

http://leeprecision.com/safety-primer-f ... large.html

Try wrapping / looping a rubber band to keep it on its bracket & from falling in the floor ?

God bless
Wyr

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:54 am

You are obviously using the safety primer so I would make sure the sides of it are clean as well as the area inside the ram that it rides in. That little pop you get is designed to be there to insure that the powder drops completely. You can lubricate your cases with something like Hornady One Shot to reduce the overall friction. And as Wyr said check your die to make sure you aren't over expanding and it is not dirty. I also flattened my priming arm on a stone as they don't seem to be real flat coming from the factory. If falling out becomes a consistent problem then the priming cup has become bent due to excess pressure while priming and is snagging on the shell holder and being pulled off the fulcrum. If that happens, just get a new one. Good luck.

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:33 am

I may have gotten confused as to what was falling on the floor ? The safety prime , the lever prime or maybe something else ?

God bless
Wyr

motopic

Postby motopic » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:09 am

I think he means the case is sticking on the flaring part of the die.

Another thing to check is the alignment. For me the alignment problem cause the die to tear the mouth of the cases when going into the die. Mine was visibly off angle so it was obvious.

Another thing would be to back off the flaring depth some.

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:17 pm

I'm as confused as Wyr on the statement "the primer arm pops out on the floor"..no way that can happen if it's properly installed under a shellholder????? Please explain further...

I've had the same issue with some cases "catching" on the flaring die. Make sure you're not putting to much "flare" on the case. All other responses apply as well...

me-109

Postby me-109 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:46 pm

It is the lee turret press not the classic. The one with the same base as the lee 1000.

The L shaped arm that mounts into the ram, and sits on a cross pin in the ram.

The Safety Prime up above on the turrent ring is fine, it the the primer holder / seater, that pops out.

As for the case flaring / powder drop die, I have taken it apart, and cleaned it and checked for burrs etc. Everything looks good, alignment looks good.

I don't however use case lube as these are carbine dies, and I was told they dont need it. My local gun store carries Dillon case lube so I'll pickup some of that.

I thought of using a rubber band, but that prevents the primer arm from leaning out so the safety prime can drop a primer.

I have cleaned and lubed the primer arm, and generally before every loading session I'll wipe down the index rod, the primer arm and the ram with a lightly oiled rag. Just to cut down on the gunk build up.

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:01 am

me-109 wrote:It is the lee turret press not the classic. The one with the same base as the lee 1000.

The L shaped arm that mounts into the ram, and sits on a cross pin in the ram.

The Safety Prime up above on the turrent ring is fine, it the the primer holder / seater, that pops out.

As for the case flaring / powder drop die, I have taken it apart, and cleaned it and checked for burrs etc. Everything looks good, alignment looks good.

I don't however use case lube as these are carbine dies, and I was told they dont need it. My local gun store carries Dillon case lube so I'll pickup some of that.

I thought of using a rubber band, but that prevents the primer arm from leaning out so the safety prime can drop a primer.

I have cleaned and lubed the primer arm, and generally before every loading session I'll wipe down the index rod, the primer arm and the ram with a lightly oiled rag. Just to cut down on the gunk build up.

Check to see if you are flaring / belling the mouth of the case , too much ?

God bless
Wyr

motopic

Postby motopic » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:39 pm

I have the same press.

The primer holder will fall out when it sticks in the shellholder on the upstroke after its been pushed into the hole by the downstroke.
At the top it falls, and bounces off the cross pin onto the desk.

Try rotating the shellholder, or try a diff shellholder(just to see if its the shellholder or the primer arm.) May have to polish the outer portion of the primer holder at the top. Or work the inside diameter of the shellholder.

GMAN

Postby GMAN » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:29 pm

My primer cup was sticking in the shell holder and I just run some sandpaper in the hole and it worked.

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:21 pm

Wrong thread

trixter

Postby trixter » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:55 pm

"I have cleaned and lubed the primer arm, and generally before every loading session I'll wipe down the index rod, the primer arm and the ram with a lightly oiled rag. Just to cut down on the gunk build up."

I understand you think of lubrication; however in this application there are no need for it, it might even be the culprit. Try cleaning it with some solvent and polish both sides on a sharpening stone (rough edges from the stamping machine.) I hope this helps., it worked on mine.

Return to “Turret presses”