lee classic turret press priming issues

Questions, troubleshooting and tips relating to Lee turret presses

Moderator: darwin

imloading

lee classic turret press priming issues

Postby imloading » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:33 pm

i am having priming issues with my lee classic turret press. it seems that the case is not aligning correctly and creates resistance when the primer arm is trying to prime the case. this is for 9mm.

once i raise the ram and size and de-prime the case i put a primer in the primer arm. i am using the small primer arm, i have double checked. then i lower ram. as the turret indexes and the primer arm contacts the casing there is resistance. if i force it in it will either crush the primer while it primes the case or the force will make the case pop out of the shell holder and shear off the case head.

i know that it is a case alignment problem because if i lower the ram when im about to prime the case and i meet the resistance, if i place my thumb on the case to make sure that it is all the way back and straight in the shell holder the primer goes right in no problem and smoothly. you can also hear a click when i place my thumb on the case and the primer aligns and finds the primer pocket.

i have this problem with lee #19 shell holder which same with my deluxe 9mm die set and with an RCBS #16 9mm specific case holder. i called lee and they are sending me a new #19 shell holder. i am not trying to prime military brass that has the primer crimp. i have tried this with federal, remington, umc, pmc, cci, winchester, herters, speer, and S&B headstamps.

could it be a bad primer arm?

Hawkmoon

Postby Hawkmoon » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:42 pm

I wish I could offer something helpful, but I use a Lee hand priming tool specifically so I don't have to worry about issues such as this.

imloading

Postby imloading » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:23 am

ok i did some more trouble shooting and i found it that it is not the shell holder. when i raise the ram and size and de-prime the case the die moves the case a little bit toward you leaving a gap between the case and the back of the shell holder.

that little amount of movement is enough to interfere with the priming. in order for the primer arm to prime the case smoothly the case must be all the way in the shell holder with the body touching the shell holder. could it be an out of spec turret?

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:18 am

This is the cast iron turret press ?

If so , I can make a few comments . Please remember& take into consideration , since my wifey got me a LoadMaster about 13 months ago , I have not loaded much on the cast iron turret press .

I rotate the shell holder until the side you slide the brass into is oriented to about 7 - 8 o'clock position .

I use the safety prime attachment with the sizing die adjusted up - down in the turret so that the safety prime reliably transfers the primer to the lever prime .

The lever prime actually pivots on a tiny roll pin , through the ram . Check & see if the roll pin is bent .

Check and see if the shell holder & brass are too loose ? Borrow another shell holder & see if it is tight ?

Think you said it was 9 mm ? 9 x 19 mm ? See if you have the correct shell holder , not , maybe 9 x 18 mm ?

Try another turret ? Try the sizing die in a different hole in the same turret ?

Last , if it is 9 x 19 ( Luger ) mm , are the primer pockets in the brass ( military brass ? ) crimped ? If so , you MUST crimp , ream or botht , the primer pockets to allow new primers to be easily & reliably installed .

God bless
Wyr

imloading

Postby imloading » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:13 pm

Yes this is for 9x19. I have tried two lee shell plates and one rcbs shell plate and it is not that. I checked the pin for the prime lever And it is straight not bent. I also tried the sizing die in other holes in The turret and it did not help. I am 100% sure that it is the turret. I can visibly see that the die move the case in the shell holder because of the taper in the sizing die. If the die were a little bit closer to he center of the turret there would be no problems.

imloading

Postby imloading » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:48 pm

here is a video that shows it. that little amount of movement is enough to move the primer pocket off center.

Golfguy7

Postby Golfguy7 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:14 pm

Do you have another turret? I would take just the sizing die out and put it another turret and readjust and see if that helps. I load 223 on a classic turret and sometimes when it rotates the plastic bushing won't turn the turret far enough and i have to nudge it just a bit to get the next die to line up so I replaced the plastic bushing and re-timed the auto index nut on top of the twisted bar and it run fine now.Not sure if that will help in your case?

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:25 pm

It looks like your indexing is slightly off. Lee help videos show how to adjust it.

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:57 pm

If the little black plastic square that does the indexing is installed upside down , it does not index as well . ( keep some spares of these . )

Also , cycle the press 100% up and 100% down . Do not short stroke the press .

As has been said , indexing may need adjusting ? Best I remember , you adjust the square nut at the top of the index rod ?

God bless
Wyr

imloading

Postby imloading » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:40 pm

the indexing is fine i do not have a problem with it. i am having problems priming cases. this is the cast iron classic press. is it possoble that the turret is out of spec?

imloading

Postby imloading » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:39 pm

i now suspect that the turret itself is out of spec and that is giving me problems. are out of spec 4 hole turrets common among lee?

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:33 pm

imloading wrote:i now suspect that the turret itself is out of spec and that is giving me problems. are out of spec 4 hole turrets common among lee?

I have at least half a dozen 4 hole turrets , probably more and an equal number of 5 hole turrets .

Do not think any have been out of spec , as you have described ?

Try posting some measurements & we all can compare to the ones we have ?

God bless
Wyr

Hawkmoon

Postby Hawkmoon » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:58 pm

imloading wrote:i now suspect that the turret itself is out of spec and that is giving me problems. are out of spec 4 hole turrets common among lee?

Have you considered that the press itself may be out of spec, with the ram slightly off-center to the press frame in which the turrets rotate?

imloading

Postby imloading » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:05 am

i have not considered that

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:21 am

Rotate the turret , by hand ( without the index bar installed ) untill you hear the detent ball click into place .

Without dies in the turret , raise the ram to top dead center . Look down through the die hole in the turret , at a shell holder in the ram .

On my cast iron turret press , I can SEE that everything lines up .

Repeat on the other 3 holes .

Now , do the same with the index bar installed , allowing the press to index it self .

How does it look now ?

God bless
Wyr

Return to “Turret presses”