Case Stuck on Decapping / Sizing Pin (.223)

Questions, troubleshooting and tips relating to Lee turret presses

Moderator: darwin

me-109

Case Stuck on Decapping / Sizing Pin (.223)

Postby me-109 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:46 pm

So I've been using my Turret press as a decapping / resizing station for .223 and other calibers.

I've run into the issue where a .223 case can easily get stuck if there is no case lube, I've been using Hornady Oneshot, inside and out of the cases.

I have had plenty of cases get stuck, and I've got pretty good at getting the out of the die, but today I had a case get stuck on the decapping pin.

I cannot think of a way to remove the case without cutting the base of the case and pushing the pin out. If I spray some lube inside and get it back in the die, and screw down the decapping pin, it rips off the case from the shell holder. The base of the case is all chewed up now.

So my question is:
How do I remove the stuck case. Cut the base off? or is there something I'm missing?

Thanks for your time, and input

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:45 pm

Wow...... Never had that before. You haven't been smoking anything illegal have you?

base871

Postby base871 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:19 pm

Yup happened to me on a lee .223 die. I ended up cutting the case off as you mentioned, I used a small dremel cutter and cut it off just under the neck, after I removed the decapping pin from the die.

me-109

Postby me-109 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:28 am

Nope no smoking here... but after talking with friends, they all told me the Hornady Oneshot is no good on rifle, great on pistol brass, everyone said best to use Dillon case lube for rifle brass.

And now time for the Dremel! :roll:

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:33 am

me-109 wrote:Nope no smoking here... but after talking with friends, they all told me the Hornady Oneshot is no good on rifle, great on pistol brass, everyone said best to use Dillon case lube for rifle brass.

I have used RCBS lube which reminds me of STP. I switched to Hornady One Shot lube to get away from the mess. Had an occasional stuck case with both.
This is how I now full length size 223:
1. Lube with One Shot.
2. Full length size with no expander in the die.
3. Run the cases in corn cob media to remove lube.
4. Decap with a 45ACP die as a decapper with the 223 expander pin in it. This expands the case neck, the outside of the case does not get touched in the 45 ACP die.

Benefits for me with this method:
1. no messy lube.
2. no media in flash holes.
3. easy to remove a stuck case.

Now if a case sticks all I do is set the die with the stuck case on a socket with the case head in the socket, put a decapping pin from a Lee universal decapping die in the case, put the assembly in the vise. Tightening the vise presses the case out.

dglock

Postby dglock » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:31 am

me-109 wrote:Nope no smoking here... but after talking with friends, they all told me the Hornady Oneshot is no good on rifle, great on pistol brass, everyone said best to use Dillon case lube for rifle brass.

That is not true. I use hornady one shot on all my rifle brass! I stand the cases up in a loading block and spray from all sides as well as into the case mouth. Never had a problem.

don

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:53 pm

can you drive it out with the decapping pin??? Or....can you pull the pin from the die and use a punch? I have a stuck case removal tool (RCBS I believe) but have never had to use it.. don't want learn how either..

me-109

Postby me-109 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:10 pm

I ended up cutting the base of the case to remove the expanding pin from the case. I've went on to process about another 150 cases, but had it happen another 5 times.

I don't get why, I used one hell of a lot of lube them this time and I even resorted to having a small cap full I would dip the neck into first.

Some when through the die and expander like butter, others just stuck on the pin, and I had to cut them. I could tell from the down stroke if they where going to stick!

I do like the idea of using another Die larger to do the case mouth expansion.

Oh I tried everything I could think of to remove the case without cutting it. There was simply no way of gripping the pin, and the case in a manner that would allow them to be pulled apart.

rowe_s

Postby rowe_s » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:22 pm

me-109 wrote:I ended up cutting the base of the case to remove the expanding pin from the case. I've went on to process about another 150 cases, but had it happen another 5 times.

I don't get why, I used one hell of a lot of lube them this time and I even resorted to having a small cap full I would dip the neck into first.

Are you letting the One Shot dry for a while before sizing the cases? Out of the last 2,000 cases I did I don't think I had 5 stick with One Shot. I don't spray any in the neck.

If you are using the sprits bottles of One Shot throw it away and get the aerosol cans.

motopic

Postby motopic » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:26 am

Ditch the one shot.

All the other forums I visit, anytime someone has a stuck case, the other users guess (usually correctly) that One Shot was used.

I use the Lee lube, but there are many, many other choices out there, so don't suffer, just use a different lube.

Or your sizing pin is too high in the die.

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:29 am

If you are using Lee dies, you just loosen the decapping pin retainer and drive the stuck case out with the decapping pin. It's in the die instructions, won't hurt to read them once in awhile!!

dglock

Postby dglock » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:18 am

motopic wrote:Ditch the one shot.

All the other forums I visit, anytime someone has a stuck case, the other users guess (usually correctly) that One Shot was used.

I use the Lee lube, but there are many, many other choices out there, so don't suffer, just use a different lube.

Or your sizing pin is too high in the die.

There is nothing wrong with one shot, i have used it for years on both rifle and pistol.

There is no "sizing pin" on the die, there is a decapping pin and a sizing ball!

don

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:18 pm

Well, if you must be technical, all the same, the decapping assembly which includes the expander on rifle dies is the part that is used to remove the stuck case. No need to cut the bottom of the case off. it's very simple--

me-109

Postby me-109 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:31 am

I did read the instructions, the issue is the pin with the expander bulge gets stuck inside the case, and I cannot get it out.

I can get the case out of the die, by removing the nut with the hole on the top of the die, and using a hammer to get the case out of the die, but the pin is stuck it will move back and forth, but will NOT come out, I tried using pliers, and my vice. All that did was scuff up the pin.

I'm 6.5 and I can put one hell of allot of force into something if I want, and I could not remove the pin.

I bought some Dillon case lube today, and I will try that. If it happens again I will take video and photos to show what has happened. That way there is no confusion as to what the issue is.

What is the correct height for the pin in the die, that is some thing I'm not sure on, and maybe to source of the issue.

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:11 am

Me-109, I reread your first post, didn't realize that the pin was stuck in the flash hole of the case. Thought that the actual case was stuck in the died??
What kind of brass are you using?
Maybe the decapping pin is the incorrect size for the die.
I've had cases stick on the pin in my universal decapping to the point that it pulled the pin out of the stem. I think those were also 223 brass but not sure of the manufacturerer of the brass.
Sounds like the flash hole of your brass may be small or like I said maybe the pin is to large on the die set.
I think I would send the decapping/expander assembly back to Lee and have them replace it.

Return to “Turret presses”