Can you update an old 3 hole turret press to auto index?

Questions, troubleshooting and tips relating to Lee turret presses

Moderator: darwin

chissel

Can you update an old 3 hole turret press to auto index?

Postby chissel » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:22 pm

I have an older late 90's vintage 3 hole turret press that does not have auto indexing installed, I rem ember it being an option back then but I bought mine without it. Now I am considering auto index for it but I d ont see it offered for 3 hole turrets anymore. I even looked on Lee's site but couldn't find it. What parts do I need for this and are they still available???

carload9

conversion

Postby carload9 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:20 am

conversion kit

titianreloading.com Call them on phone today.

prs

Postby prs » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:15 pm

I thought it was a standard feature or the original 3 holer. Go to Lee's site and look in the parts section to get what ya need.

prs

carload9

this too

Postby carload9 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:00 pm

Blacksamwell

Postby Blacksamwell » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:22 am

If it were me, I'd take the opportunity to update the press to a 4 station turret. Use the updated ram that Carload has linked to with the 3 to 4 hole update kit.

Updated ram: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/283940 ... -index-ram

3 to 4 hole kit: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/206578 ... ugv1283940

carload9

opinions

Postby carload9 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:52 am

Yea, IMO IF IT WERE ME! I would sell on ebay and buy a LLM unless you already have one. I bought a LLM recently hardly ever used in 44 magnum (4 die set) with baggies of extras, collator, plus more to the door for $262.00. But i just do 4 cals of pistol and dont know what iam talking about of those who do rifle/long-necks etc.. I can do my 4 lil' calibers, my carbine shoots 40s&w.

Its simple, how much do you shoot. Right now i shoot alot, i have a job, i hav to reload quick at nite and i cast my own. (i have 3 great molds). I buy 40's.

I have a LCCTP i seldom use anymore.
My girlfriend at work want to come over an do 38sp on turret, she bought a 4 die set.

magic mike

Postby magic mike » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:42 am

Awe come on carload, there's no masking tape in reloading!

mike

prs

Postby prs » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:44 pm

I think the 3 holer is faster to use then the 4 holer. I converted mine and then wish I had not, then again I never use the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die as a final sizer. I have the "new" classic on the bench now, but it is used mostly as a singe stage to de-glock and such.

prs

chissel

Postby chissel » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:04 pm

The only auto index update I have seen @ midway & lee's site were to totally update your press to a 4 hole & auto index. While I wholeheartedly agree that both the 4 hole turrets & the progressive are on another level of flexibility, speed & convenience, any "upgrade" will leave me with eight (yes 8!) 3 hole turrets that I couldn't use anymore.

While I currently am not shooting much I REALLY miss doing so, but it seems that the older I am getting the less time I have to do things I enjoy like loading & shooting.

I guess another question would be, I know you can convert a pro 1000 to a turret, can I convert a turret to a 1000 so I can still use my 3 holers???

Blacksamwell

Postby Blacksamwell » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:48 pm

chissel wrote:The only auto index update I have seen @ midway & lee's site were to totally update your press to a 4 hole & auto index. While I wholeheartedly agree that both the 4 hole turrets & the progressive are on another level of flexibility, speed & convenience, any "upgrade" will leave me with eight (yes 8!) 3 hole turrets that I couldn't use anymore.

While I currently am not shooting much I REALLY miss doing so, but it seems that the older I am getting the less time I have to do things I enjoy like loading & shooting.

I guess another question would be, I know you can convert a pro 1000 to a turret, can I convert a turret to a 1000 so I can still use my 3 holers???

It appears that Lee no longer offers the parts that will enable you to add auto indexing to your 3 hole turret. You might be able to find them with some effort via eBay or Armslist. Here's an eBay auction for an old 3 hole turret press that includes the indexing parts: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lee-3-Hole-Turr ... 4612fe637d.

You can convert your press to a Pro-1000, but I suspect the cost of the parts might be high enough that you'd rather just go to a 4 hole auto indexing turret, or buy a complete Pro-1000.

For what it is worth... If you step up to the 4 hole system your 3 hole turrets are worth about $10 each on eBay.

Randy_Lahey

Postby Randy_Lahey » Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:39 pm

I'm new, but IMO if you are not doing rifle cartridges, I'd either sell what you have and buy a pro100 or Loadmaster. If you are doing Rifle, then the turret can be very beneficial in case prep work(deprime, resize, even prime) . That said, I have a 4 hole Lee turret press that I got a couple months ago as my first reloading venture. I started with 9mm and have loaded over 1k by now. I can load about 150-200/hr depending on how rusty I am(there is definitely a flow/groove you need to get into).

What are your goals for rounds/hr. What will you be reloading? What is your budget? These are all things that will factor into recommendations b/c otherwise we are just guessing and probably applying our own experiences and bias's to the advice given. A pro 1000 may be great for someone loading plinking 9mm, 45acp etc... But someone wanting better COL tolerances or loading rifle may suggest a different press.

Return to “Turret presses”