Lee Classic Turret Press

Questions, troubleshooting and tips relating to Lee turret presses

Moderator: darwin

Sparky45

Lee Classic Turret Press

Postby Sparky45 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:21 pm

Anybody got any pro's or con's concerning this Press? I just sold a couple of my Lee Breechlock Presses and think I would like one of these.

fmj3

Postby fmj3 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:49 pm

My first press was a LCT and I still use it for loading some calibers and for processing brass.

It's very versatile - you can use it as a straight single stage or as an auto indexing press for loading or mutli-step processing.

Solid press and very easy to change set ups.

I can do about 200 rounds an hour with it, but I only use it for low volume rifle and pistol rounds nowadays.

Sparky45

Postby Sparky45 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:41 pm

Thanks fmj3, now to buy one.

daboone

Postby daboone » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:12 am

I think the Lee Classic Press was a turning point for Lee's creditability. For years Lee stuff was considered cheap and cheaply made. This press clearly demonstrated that it was on par with any other press made not only in quality but performance. Since it release it became an instant success and force other to reconsider Lee's quality.

I've own both types of Lee turrets and always found them excellent. I still have and use the Classic Cast Turret for most my straight walled cases. For me it is on par with the CO-AX press for easy set up and getting consistent performance and output from. It's a very solid reliable press.

john127

Postby john127 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:24 pm

daboone wrote:I think the Lee Classic Press was a turning point for Lee's creditability. For years Lee stuff was considered cheap and cheaply made. This press clearly demonstrated that it was on par with any other press made not only in quality but performance. Since it release it became an instant success and force other to reconsider Lee's quality.......

I agree, and I also believe that this press made the scene when John Lee (the son) became president of the company & Richard (the Father) stepped down.

Richard was, & is, a very innovative person but, similar to Ruger, he didn't seem to want to bring new products to the marketplace that he didn't think were necessary. His son, OTOH, doesn't seem to be saddled with that same mindset.

I'm sure everyone has noticed the 'plethora' of new firearms that have emerged from Ruger since the founder passed away. I always heard that he wouldn't allow many of the products they have today, when he was at the helm

Lifelong Learner

Re: Lee Classic Turret Press

Postby Lifelong Learner » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:48 pm

Sparky45 wrote:Anybody got any pro's or con's concerning this Press? I just sold a couple of my Lee Breechlock Presses and think I would like one of these.

Some of the PROs are: (1) The Classic Turret Press can be used as a single stage press or as a Turret press. (2) Caliber changes are quick using pre-setup Turrets. (3) The Priming function is less troublesome than other presses. (4) It is possible to load 150-200 rds/hr of well made ammo at a normal safe pace.
The only CON is the little black square plastic piece which has to do with turret rotation. It can be an irritation. It is a cheap expendable piece which breaks when or if the turret is manually turned while the shell holder is resting in the lowest position. It is a sacrificial low cost component which breaks instead of a more expensive part of the press. Always keep a few spares on hand.
Other than that, the press is a great little press and a lot of fun to use.

Return to “Turret presses”