Auto disk large black powder charge?

Questions, troubleshooting and tips relating to Lee turret presses

Moderator: darwin

Blademaker

Auto disk large black powder charge?

Postby Blademaker » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:47 am

Thinking of adding an auto disk powder charger to my turret press for loading 45-75 ammo. Normally I only use my turret press for rifle rounds, and those I hand weight for accuracy. 45-75 is a rifle round, but since I load it exclusively with black powder I've been thinking of adding an auto disk for it.

I've got auto disk set up for every pistol caliber I reload for and love them. The ones I load with black powder all have the double disk kit.

I'm away from my press rite now so can't go and look at disk and see it it'll work. My normal load is 69 grains 2F Swiss powder, is there a pair of disk large enough to do this charge?

My normal practice is to use a lyman powder measure and throw the charge into a primed case, then dump the charge in a funnel set in a lee powder through expander die. Not really an issue, but would be nice to cut that step out.

Thanks

erle

Postby erle » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:03 pm

I use the disc powder measure on my LLM with all pistol calibers, but the .223 is about the limit for it on rifle calibers.

I have one of my LLM's set up with the RCBS Uniflow measure & case activated linkage kit. Now that is nice & will adjust to any caliber load you might want.

I load all my large rifle calibers on a single stage press, including the 45-70.

Blademaker

Postby Blademaker » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:23 pm

Kinda what I thought. Wonder if I could rig up a tripple disk?

erle

Postby erle » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:41 pm

Blademaker wrote:Kinda what I thought. Wonder if I could rig up a tripple disk?

Never heard of it. Even then, don't know if you could throw 69 grains.

Erle

Blademaker

Postby Blademaker » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:47 pm

Yea, probably not. Wouldn't be that hard to stack 3 or even 4 disk, but it would soon get too cumbersom to use. Not to mention it's pretty easy to use the lyman measure and just dump the charge through the expander die. Just a "hmmm" moment.

I can't remember offhand, but I had to use the double disk to load black powder in 45 colt, 36 grains, and the holes were pretty large for that.

Hawkmoon

Postby Hawkmoon » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:08 am

Blademaker wrote:Kinda what I thought. Wonder if I could rig up a tripple disk?

How much would you need to add for capacity? Could you get enough by just opening up the largest hole on two disks?

Blademaker

Postby Blademaker » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:38 am

Not likely, I got back home and did some measuring and it's possible, but not practical. In other words more trouble than it's worth. One big issue is the capacity of the hopper itself. It doesn't take long to empty when I'm loading 36 grains, would hate to see how fast it goes when I'm loading nearly twice that.

It was something I got to thinking about while on the rig. Back at my loading bench things look a bit different.

Thanks

Return to “Turret presses”