Link to two good videos explaining the Classic Turret Press

Questions, troubleshooting and tips relating to Lee turret presses

Moderator: darwin

Hawkmoon

Postby Hawkmoon » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:27 pm

Very good videos, but ...

In the second video, he claims you can load 500 rounds per hour using the 4-hole Classic Turret Press. That's 8.33 rounds per minute -- every single minute, for an entire hour. This breaks down to 7.2 seconds per round. In that 7.2 seconds, you have to put the case into the shell holder, pull the handle FOUR times, insert the bullet at the proper time for seating, and then remove the loaded round.

Not gonna happen. Working with pre-primed brass and charging the cases manually with a Perfect Powder Measure the best I could do was about 50 rounds per hour. I now have the Pro Autodisk mounted on the press and I estimate that has approximately doubled my throughput, so figure about 100 rounds per hour. I doubt very much that it's possible to go much faster than that. 500 rounds per hour is progressive territory, not turret press.

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:53 pm

Hawkmoon wrote:Very good videos, but ...

In the second video, he claims you can load 500 rounds per hour using the 4-hole Classic Turret Press. That's 8.33 rounds per minute -- every single minute, for an entire hour. This breaks down to 7.2 seconds per round. In that 7.2 seconds, you have to put the case into the shell holder, pull the handle FOUR times, insert the bullet at the proper time for seating, and then remove the loaded round.

Not gonna happen. Working with pre-primed brass and charging the cases manually with a Perfect Powder Measure the best I could do was about 50 rounds per hour. I now have the Pro Autodisk mounted on the press and I estimate that has approximately doubled my throughput, so figure about 100 rounds per hour. I doubt very much that it's possible to go much faster than that. 500 rounds per hour is progressive territory, not turret press.

I can get 100 rounds of handgun ammo per hour with the cast iron turret press , if I work at it .

God bless
Wyr

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:33 am

Loading 40 caliber, which always was the quickest for me on the turret press, using the safety prime and the pro autodisc the best I ever did was 200 in an hour. Any other caliber my best was between 100 and 150. Shoot, I don't get 500 an hour on my loadmaster. Now if you load as fast as you can for one minute and multiply by 60 you might be at a 500 an hour rate but to actually do that many in an hour is totally unrealistic.

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:27 pm

Smitty62, you are exactly right. When one says they can load 500 rds/hour on a LM is only trying to kid all the rest of us. You're right on the load rate, but its not possible to attain considering all of the loading steps; adding primers, adding powder, adding brass etc. Its a very good system and it does what it does, but not the high rate per hour as suggested.

customcutter

Postby customcutter » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:44 pm

I probably can't load 100/hr on my LM. But it shouldn't be about the quatity but the quality and doing it safely.

500/hr sounds to much like HARD WORK for me.

God bless,
CC

myloadm61

Postby myloadm61 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:46 pm

Quality, quality, quality and doing it safely. YOU'VE said it all
Thanks

zuke

Postby zuke » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:07 pm

myloadm61 wrote:Smitty62, you are exactly right. When one says they can load 500 rds/hour on a LM is only trying to kid all the rest of us. You're right on the load rate, but its not possible to attain considering all of the loading steps; adding primers, adding powder, adding brass etc. Its a very good system and it does what it does, but not the high rate per hour as suggested.

Ahhh but it can be done, I've done it.
With pre-primed brass that is.

Smitty62

Postby Smitty62 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Zuke, that's cheating.

zuke

Postby zuke » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:04 pm

I wanted to do a 1000 9mm but was having a bitch-of-a-time with primer seating.
I used my LEE priming tool in front of the TV to prime them all and the rest is history.
Very fast history.

Hawkmoon

Postby Hawkmoon » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:23 pm

zuke wrote:
myloadm61 wrote:Smitty62, you are exactly right. When one says they can load 500 rds/hour on a LM is only trying to kid all the rest of us. You're right on the load rate, but its not possible to attain considering all of the loading steps; adding primers, adding powder, adding brass etc. Its a very good system and it does what it does, but not the high rate per hour as suggested.

But the video in question is claiming 500 rounds per hour on a Turret Press.

That's 8.33 rounds per minute, or 7.2 seconds per round. Each round requires FOUR pulls on the handle. That works out to pulling the handle once every 1.8 seconds for an entire hour -- and it requires manually placing and removing the cases, and manually placing the bullets.

I don't believe it's possible.

zuke

Postby zuke » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:34 pm

I have a Loadmaster,so I can't say much.

WyrTwister

Postby WyrTwister » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:51 am

Hawkmoon wrote:
zuke wrote:

But the video in question is claiming 500 rounds per hour on a Turret Press.

That's 8.33 rounds per minute, or 7.2 seconds per round. Each round requires FOUR pulls on the handle. That works out to pulling the handle once every 1.8 seconds for an entire hour -- and it requires manually placing and removing the cases, and manually placing the bullets.

I don't believe it's possible.

And replenishing primers .

I have the Lee cast iron turret press . I can do 100 an hour , if I pay attention and work at it . Maybe a few more than that . But I do not think I can do anywhere near 500 . But ,what ever floats your boat ?

God bless
Wyr

Return to “Turret presses”