Just thinking.

Discussion, question, answers and tips regarding Lee LoadAllshotshell presses

Moderator: darwin

daboone

Just thinking.

Postby daboone » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:02 am

Dang I've been reading about shotshell reloading and it's appears to be a stickily by the formula in the book deal. I understand that there different type of load for different purposes, skeet, clay, hunting, etc. The specific type of hull, powder, wad and shot are all predetermined. Seems like that would kind of take the fun out reloading if all you do is reproduce the printed data EXACTLY.

I am considering shotshell reloading. My son is an avid shotgunner, clays and hunting. His wife is pissed at the $$ spent on shells. I am hoping if I get it started he might get interested and be able to reduce his cost (unless he starts shooting even more!).

Are there any active Load-All users here? Like the LM and most Lee tools I hear a lot of criticism. I shoot a maybe 5 boxes in a year and that is just plinking. But it would be fun to reload some slugs, bird shot and buckshot.

prs

Postby prs » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:48 pm

I use a loadall on occasion. It dies a good job with a known proven load that yields a volume exactly right for the finished length of the round. Unlike metallic cartridge rounds, the hull is full for every load. Plastic wads with collapsing center sections do allow some tolerance.

You can get creative to some degree. Lee's recipes are good examaples, if they are still the way my 1976 circa instrucitons are. He gives recipes that alow different primers, different hulls, and plastic wads. His loadings tend to be quite conservative, but that is OK.

I load mostly on a MEC SizesMaster and that press is very adjustable. I load old black powder rounds, modern nickle plated shot rounds, and ordinary clay target rounds. Save money? HAH! BTW, I've never crushed or tilted a primer in a shotshell press.

prs

uniquedot

Postby uniquedot » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:23 pm

I load a good bit of shotshells (just picked up two thousand primed cheddites and a case of wads last month) Any way, the Load all is a good loader and i still use them and even though i use mecs i found that the load all works better on certain cases as there are no adjustments to fool around with. The only way you can save money in todays economy by loading shotshells is if you are loading specialized hunting loads or if someone gives you components for free! You just can't load target shells any cheaper than you can buy them after including the time spent loading them anyway.

Jumping Frog

Postby Jumping Frog » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:39 am

uniquedot wrote:You just can't load target shells any cheaper than you can buy them after including the time spent loading them anyway.

True for 12 gauge. Some other gauges are significantly more expensive and you can save money reloading.

uniquedot

Postby uniquedot » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:49 am

Jumping Frog wrote:
uniquedot wrote:You just can't load target shells any cheaper than you can buy them after including the time spent loading them anyway.

True for 12 gauge. Some other gauges are significantly more expensive and you can save money reloading.

Yep, but only on the .410, 28, and 16 gauges though. The only one of those gauges lee makes in the LA is the 16 and you really don't save much on the 16.

I stopped loading all three of those gauges and just started loading light loads in the 12 and 20. ( 7/8 to 1 ounce in the 12 and 3/4 to 7/8 in the 20.) I do still load heavy specialty hunting loads though.

I have a ton of wads, several thousand cases, and primers on hand, but the cost of shot right now makes me feel like i am loading gold in those cases.
I probably have less than a dozen bags of shot right now and surely can't afford to buy it in quantity at todays prices.

prs

Postby prs » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:23 am

I chiefly load 16ga. I gave away all of my 12ga components although I still have a few 12ga shotguns. I do load 20, 28, .410 on my Mec also. .410 is a tedoius process. In getting creative, its not such a good idea with modern propellants since we donot have pressure guns and use of chronographs is tricky with shot shells; but I also load black powder 16ga loads with traditional wadding and traditional payloads/charges.

prs

1911A1

Postby 1911A1 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:20 pm

I thought about getting a shotshell press, but after looking at the cost of set up, and the fact I only go through maybe a case of 12ga a year, I kinda lost interest in it.

Blademaker

Postby Blademaker » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:19 am

I've had a LA for going on 10 years now and so far it's been great. I don't shoot much shot shell, but I do compete in CAS matches in the black powder category and need BP loaded shot shells.

I most often roll crimp, though have used the crimp on the LA and it works. If I was to reload a bunch of smokeless shot shells I'd probably want a Mec, but for a couple boxes a month the LA works great for the way I use it. I don't use the powder set up, hand dipped black powder, and fiber wads and roll crimp.

The way I use it is I trim the once fired shells to proper length for roll crimping. I've got a piece of pipe the rite length and a sharp knife. Resize on the LA and reprime, hand dip powder and put the case in the LA. I've got a wood shim double sided tape to raise the shortened case high enough for the plastic fingers to go into the case. Drop an over powder/shot card in, press it down, press down a lubed fiber wad, press down an over powder/shot card, dump shot, press down an over shot card. After I get a bunch done this way I take them to my chepo harbor freight drill press with a roll crimp tool and roll crimp them.

One reason I roll crimp instead of using the crimp on the LA is that, other than roll crimping is traditional, is that I've had several shells start to open up over time at the crimp.

The LA is not perfect, but unless it's really went up a lot in price it's a very economical tool for shot shell reloading.

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:57 pm

Dan, the best reason I can give you for loading shotshells, 12gauge for instance, is the same reason you load your metallic rounds...you can load them to fit what YOU want...rather than a "generic" load...even with "target" loads....I've noticed a lot of shooters are going to lighter (7/8 AND 3/4 oz) loads for their 12 gauge target rounds and there's no way you can buy GOOD hunting rounds for the price you can reload them for...PLUS..IF, you want to load up "specialty" loads, sometimes (most times) the only way to get there is to reload...I load 12 and 20 gauge on a PW 375C and for me it's actually more enjoyable than metallic reloading...YMMV of course..the killer right now is the cost of shot...

by the way, a buddy and I just the other day went out front of the house and blasted 75 (or so) clay targets thrown from my thrower. Took about 200 rounds of 12 and 20 to do it though :shock: ...but, it was a heck of a good time... :D

just noticed daBoone started this back in 2011.. :) don't know if he still comes here or not, I do see him on a couple other forums though..

Blademaker

Postby Blademaker » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:34 am

Dang Horseman, I never noticed the date till you posted it, didn't mean to raise a dead thread.

Any way, some very good points you got there.

Horseman

Postby Horseman » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:47 am

Blademaker wrote:Dang Horseman, I never noticed the date till you posted it, didn't mean to raise a dead thread.

Any way, some very good points you got there.

There isn't anything wrong with reviving an older thread...there's usually someone else that comes along with a similar question looking for ideas.. :wink:

Blademaker

Postby Blademaker » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:32 pm

OK, thanks, some forums get a little upset about. I tend to agree with you though, good information is good information, even if it's a bit late.

Return to “ Lee Load-All II shotshell press”