Pro 1000 loader spares info

For discussion, question and answers regarding Pro 1000 presses

Moderator: darwin

motorcycle_dan

Pro 1000 loader spares info

Postby motorcycle_dan » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:21 pm

I'm ordering a P1K to do some odd ball caliber reloading. I don't do much reloading in these calibers but enough to justify something other than my classic cast. Plan to load 10mm, 41mag, 44mag, 45 auto rim, and 45 LC.
All the but 10mm can have a roll crimp so only a 3 stage will work okay. ON the 10, I'll need to run through a LFC separately.

MY Question: I'm going to be buying a couple of shell plates and enough to switch around calibers. What "spare parts" can I expect to use on this press? I'm a previous Load master owner so know the weakness of that priming system. Never had a P1K so looking for info on what weakness it has.

Thanks in advance.

gnauenburg

Postby gnauenburg » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:57 pm

I just sold my Pro 1000 a few months ago and I can tell you that the priming is a bit different than the LM. In some ways it is better. It acts a bit more like that Auto Prime handheld unit. I have virtually no issues with priming on my Pro 1000. The only shared tendency is the gravity fed system. So you have to keep that tray full.

In all honesty I don't think that I ever used a single spare part on my press in about 10K rounds. It came with a bag of spare parts but I never needed them. I gave them to the guy that bought my press. My suggestion is to buy a second carrier with the large primer. That way you will won't be swapping out crazy parts on every caliber change. I will say though that the caliber changes can suck a little bit with this press. There are a few little parts that are essentially held in place by the shellplate. Changing the shellplates is so much easier on the LM.

That was the main reason I didn't sell my LM over the Pro 1000. I just think that having the 5 stations to work with and the ease of swapping calibers is worth any fussy priming system. I have to admit though that with my own LM I have not had the same kind of priming issue that so many other people complain about. I pray that stays the same once I have my press set back up and running. It has been more than 10 years now collecting dust and it's time to get back to cranking out some rounds.

I hope that my rambling helps in some small way.

George

Return to “Pro 1000 discussion”