Surface Rust

For discussion, question and answers regarding Pro 1000 presses

Moderator: darwin

Trinidad Bill

Surface Rust

Postby Trinidad Bill » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:12 pm

I picked up an old Pro 1000 that needs to be taken apart and cleaned up. It has lots of surface rust (coming from Texas) something we do not have a lot of here in Colorado.

What is the best way to cleanup surface rust on the press and dies?

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:01 pm

The first thing I'd try is an oil covered rag. That might be all it takes. I don't know from there.

daboone

Postby daboone » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:09 pm

Yep Darwin might be right just this once! :lol: It that doesn't get it all try a scotch bite green pad, steel wool or a chore boy with the oil. After you finish up ya might want to take all the parts a run then through a dish washer (allowing the drier time to complete it cycle) to remove the excess oil and crud from the cleaning. Then oil/grease appropriately.

swampy

removing rust

Postby swampy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:15 am

I know this is a new post to an old thread but what really works well to remove surface rust is automotive chrome polish with 000 steel wool to remove moderate rust followed up with chrome polish and 0000 steel wool to put a nice brand new looking finish on the metal parts. Just soak the steel wool with the polish and rub it up til it's clean. (this works great on non chromed motorcycle engine cases and cylinders too) It'll work on the outside of dies too. On the inside of sizing dies I'd use chrome polish and a rag to remove the rust then chrome polish on a couple cases and run them through on a press to polish the inside of a die. Run a few lubed cases through after that then check cases for any sign of damaged caused by damage to the die from the rust.

Mostly though, Shame on you for letting your dies rust!

Trinidad Bill

Postby Trinidad Bill » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:36 pm

Is chrome polish a brand or just any old liquid chrome polish (sorry, I have never used chrome polish)?

Dies and press were from a used press that I picked up and cleaned up. The press is running the like a champ! Since the dies were .38, I have not used them yet. Although I cleaned them the best I could.

The only sarge

Postby The only sarge » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:30 pm

RemOil and a wire brush make mine shiny and clean.

carload9

try

Postby carload9 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:47 pm

try "skyco" companies blue stuff (like blue kool-aide) from sherwin-williams called ospho... Kept it around for years for rust removal. Just a lil' with swab and wait til next day, it turns to black carbon with lil' white powder residue. Ya can repeat!

Below is rgb series dies (7mm) from Lee, $18.79 at midwayusa (2 brand new dies).

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/781805 ... ton-magnum

Return to “Pro 1000 discussion”