older shell plate carrier and autodisk

For discussion, question and answers regarding Pro 1000 presses

Moderator: darwin

Trinidad Bill

older shell plate carrier and autodisk

Postby Trinidad Bill » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:49 pm

In taking my old (new to me) Pro 1000 apart for cleaning I noticed that the shell plate carrier does not have a hole for the autodisk chain return system. The autodisk has the large spring attached.

Does Lee make an upgrade for the shell plate carrier or do I need to buy a whole new carrier?

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:20 pm

As far as I know, Pro 100s use the spring activated powder measure only. If I'm wrong, I'm sure somebody will set me straight! :)

Trinidad Bill

Postby Trinidad Bill » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:29 pm

A couple of days ago I watched a series of 9 videos on YouTube from "San Francisco Liberal with a Gun" describing taking apart and cleaning the Lee Pro 1000. His had the pull chain, just like the LoadMaster.

All of the new shell plate carriers that I have seen pictures of have the hole in them.

Is there a downside or safety issue with using the spring activated AutoDisk on the Pro 1000?

darwin
Site Admin

Postby darwin » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:55 pm

It looks like YOU set me straight! :D

The disadvantage of a spring loaded powder measure is that if you interrupt the stroke and back up before you continue, you can double charge a case.

The chain version won't reset until the bottom of the stroke, so going, say, halfway down and back up won't drop any more powder. A spring loaded will reset as soon as it comes out of the die.

Return to “Pro 1000 discussion”