lee bullet feed problems

For discussion, question and answers regarding Pro 1000 presses

Moderator: darwin

hk_ump

lee bullet feed problems

Postby hk_ump » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:04 pm

i bought a bullet feeder for my pro 1k and when seating the bullets I am having the case shear some of the bullet off and rolling it over the case mouth.

I called lee and they said i had to adjust the seating die body up because its crimping the casing before its seating it.

your thoughts ?

can i still achieve a crimp using the bullet feeder if this is true ? I ran out of brass so only got a chance to run 3 rounds after he told me what he though would have been the problem.

thanks in advance

helg

Postby helg » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:01 am

Adjusting seat-crimp die solves one problem, which Lee support people described to you. Lee instruction videos (see link on a front page of the site) show how to adjust seat/crimp die by using sample round. The crimp does not have to be anyway strong,just to remove flare from previous die.

Another likely problem with bullet shearing, is insufficient case mouth opening by the previous operation by powder charge/neck expander die. Again, refer to Lee instruction videos how to set this die properly. With right neck opening, bullet should be placed completely inside the case. If edge of the shell touches back of the bullet, you will have sheared bullet.

I believe that the problem is with proper setup of the neck expander die.

hk_ump

Postby hk_ump » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:22 am

helg wrote:Adjusting seat-crimp die solves one problem, which Lee support people described to you. Lee instruction videos (see link on a front page of the site) show how to adjust seat/crimp die by using sample round. The crimp does not have to be anyway strong,just to remove flare from previous die.

Another likely problem with bullet shearing, is insufficient case mouth opening by the previous operation by powder charge/neck expander die. Again, refer to Lee instruction videos how to set this die properly. With right neck opening, bullet should be placed completely inside the case. If edge of the shell touches back of the bullet, you will have sheared bullet.

I believe that the problem is with proper setup of the neck expander die.

if thats the case i have no idea why i am having this problem, i loaded 1400 rounds on the 1kp before introducing the bullet feeder with no problems what so ever

Return to “Pro 1000 discussion”