Fix for stripped carrier screw!

For discussion, question and answers regarding Pro 1000 presses

Moderator: darwin

Catholicseymour

Fix for stripped carrier screw!

Postby Catholicseymour » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:22 pm

Hi all, here is a fix that I thought of when the 1/4 20 tapped hole stripped in my shell plate carrier for my 9mm. On the Pro 1000. This will save you 20.00 for a new one. You will need a 1/4 20 square nut, 1/4 20 Socket head cap screw X 1.00, A 17/64 drill bit

Step 1: Remove the carrier from the press and disassemble completely for safety reasons. DO NOT try to hold in your hand to drill. Doctor bills are expensive.

Step 2: Hold the carrier in a vice and use a hand drill to open up the hole 1/64 oversize or use an oversize reamer so that the socket head cap screw will pass thru the hole freely.

Step 3: Radius one side of the 1/4 20 square nut so that it will just clear the corner at the ram side as well as the side opposite. If you have the nut too tight in the pocket it will bind the carrier. A bench grinder and a good pair of vice grips will do the trick. Just be careful and follow all safety rules. Also modify a 1/4 20 x 1.00 SHCS by grinding the end back 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch. Be sure to bevel the screw so that it will be no trouble to install.

Step 4: Place the nut and screw into the carrier as shown.

Step 5: Reassemble the carrier.

Step 6: Place the carrier back in the press.

Step 7: Re-adjust and make some boolits!

http://s1186.photobucket.com/albums/z37 ... icseymour/

Don :D

Return to “Pro 1000 discussion”