Pro 1000 Primer Retainer Tool

For discussion, question and answers regarding Pro 1000 presses

Moderator: darwin

Catholicseymour

Pro 1000 Primer Retainer Tool

Postby Catholicseymour » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:35 am

When learning the Lee Pro 1000 I found that a whole lot of things could and would go wrong! :evil: One of the things that frustrated me was the inability to stop the primer feed when the need arose. One need that I have that is personal to me is to spot check a charge by removing it from the press without seating a bullet. Oh boy! :? How do I run these back thru the press and bypass the primer operation and simply re-charge the round? Also what if I change powder and the weight and I want to run a spent round thru the press a few times? Dang! It sure would be a hassle to take the primer feed out of the press. Well here is a solution that I came up with that works pretty well.

OK... I know it looks like a hillbilly hookup :roll: but it gets the job done. Just study the pictures, grab the pliers, and you will be a fabricator in no time. I used a piece of soft galvanized electric fence wire .052 in diameter to fashion the primer retainer. I used some zip ties to shore up the primmer shute and to provide something clamp on.

Happy loading. 8)

Don

http://s1186.photobucket.com/albums/z37 ... ro%201000/

zuke

Postby zuke » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:03 am

Cheap,quick and it work's.
Look's alright to me!

prs

Postby prs » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:08 pm

Neat. On the LM you can simply lift the primer slider actuater up off of the primer slider. Good think'n!

prs

Catholicseymour

Postby Catholicseymour » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:40 pm

Thanks for the compliments guys! :D I am thinking about submitting the idea to Lee. :idea: It could be fashioned out of spring material so that you could just clip it on. I think it would easily be worth a few bucks a piece if it were done professionally on a spring machine and bending dies. But hey it is just the machinist coming out in me. Heck I can even see a mod that you could just clip on and make sort of a gate. But that would take some time and cost some money. I am making my own boolits because I am short of doe not because I am rolling in it!

Don

Trinidad Bill

Postby Trinidad Bill » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:24 am

I had the problem initially but... I have learned that the Pro 1000 is very flexible. I just raise the actuator until the indexing is free then I can just move the shell plate forward or backward. I am always checking my charges this way.

To recharge I raise the ram until indexing is loose, move the shell plate so that I can insert the case that needs to be charged, move the shell plate to the right index, recharge and use the normal cycle to move to the bullet seating/crimp. I will do the same with a charged and primed case that needs to have the bullet seated.

The key for me is to not have a case moving into the priming position. If you do not hit the priming spring with a case, no primer will move into place. I will also rotate the case feeder a bit so that a new case does not fall. When I am ready to commence full progressive operation I rotate the case feeder back.

Return to “Pro 1000 discussion”