Wear and tear on the "primer shaker" support colum

For discussion, question and answers regarding Pro 1000 presses

Moderator: darwin

kcbrown

Wear and tear on the "primer shaker" support colum

Postby kcbrown » Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:10 pm

As you guys know, the Pro 1000 has grooves cut into the right rear support column of the press that a pin sticking out of the primer trough rides over. The grooves cause the primer trough to shake, thus ensuring that the primers continue to feed properly (shakes loose any bridging of primers that may be occurring in the feeding pan).

After perhaps 5,000 cycles of my press, that column has a flat section worn into it where the pin makes contact with it. Needless to say, that does not bode well for the longevity of that column.

The column is made out of 12L14 steel (I spoke to Lee about this and got that information from them). I already ordered and received several spare columns, and my plan is to take them to the local heat treating service and have them harden the columns. There's a black coating on them that will need to be removed first.

Basically, my intention is to have them case hardened in much the same way that the Glock or Springfield XD slide assemblies are hardened, so that the end result is a finish that is very hard (a hardness of roughly 64 on the Rockwell scale) and corrosion resistant.

This should cause the column to, essentially, last a lifetime. The interesting question is how long the pin will last when rubbing against a surface that is very likely to be harder than it is....

zuke

Postby zuke » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:43 pm

Couldn't you have just loosened it off and rotated it a bit?

kcbrown

Postby kcbrown » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:33 am

zuke wrote:Couldn't you have just loosened it off and rotated it a bit?

Unfortunately, no.

The column is a solid piece and screws directly into the base. The top of the column is threaded to take the bolt that is used to secure the turret head, while the bottom is directly threaded to screw into the base.

kcbrown

Postby kcbrown » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:12 pm

Well, as it happens, having them hardened in that way is a very expensive process. To just have 4 of these columns treated will cost me about the same as two fully equipped (with dies and everything) Pro 1000 presses.

I think the only option may be to get them nickel plated, but I'm in California, where nobody is allowed to do anything for fear of "damaging the environment".

Does anyone here know of a reasonably inexpensive nickel plating service that can do this kind of work?

swampy

Postby swampy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:20 pm

Can't you just put a couple small hose clamps on the column for the primer shaker to bounce off of?

kcbrown

Postby kcbrown » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:48 am

After finding no good options for heat-treating the columns (the only heat treatment that I could do at a reasonable cost would have made the column rust in no time), I simply put the end of the column in my drill and used some sandpaper to remove the oxide layer, then polished it to a mirror-like finish (as much as the metal would allow, at any rate). When I'm using the press, I'll put a drop of oil on the follower pin. Between those two measures, I haven't seen any evidence of wear since.

Hawkmoon

Postby Hawkmoon » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:32 pm

kcbrown wrote:Well, as it happens, having them hardened in that way is a very expensive process. To just have 4 of these columns treated will cost me about the same as two fully equipped (with dies and everything) Pro 1000 presses.

I think the only option may be to get them nickel plated, but I'm in California, where nobody is allowed to do anything for fear of "damaging the environment".

Does anyone here know of a reasonably inexpensive nickel plating service that can do this kind of work?

Do it yourself. Google Caswell Plating Unless they won't/can't ship to California).

Return to “Pro 1000 discussion”